dry land hockey training programs

You don’t need to get a whole new skate. Take it to a pro shop and have them replace the cowling (Plastic part and blade). It’s cheaper than buying a whole new skate.

I second this - a great book regarding the training of hockey players. Joe is an incredibly knowledgeable guy (and it’s loaded with quotes from Charlie, too).

My 10 year old son plays hockey Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. He completed off ice training 3x week this summer and I am wondering if he should be doing off-ice training in addition to his on-ice work I am concerned about not maintaining strength during the season? Thnaks for the replies!

I recommend getting a copy Peter Twist’s book as well as everything that has been posted here, it has a lot of dryland training drills.

John Rovnan

Whoaa… Aren’t we getting a bit ridiculous here. When I was playing hockey at age 10, I just wanted to get out there and have fun. I wasn’t concerned about my strength levels and doing off-ice conditioning. If you keep fun as the primary focus when kids are young, then they’ll actually enjoy getting better at the sport.

The one thing that I would emphasize while kids are at that age is crosstraining. It will improve the kids overall athletic ability and will strengthen joints and muscles that aren’t used in specific sport. So, if your son also wanted to play soccer while playing hockey then that would probably be the best way to improve his overall athletic ability.

The problem with Twist is that he has a number of drills which could be done differently and achieve the same benefit, but he does them a certain way to try and sell his equipment. For example, he’ll emphasize that you need 4" hurdles to do certain hopping drills, when in reality you don’t need the hurdles. But, what do you know… he sells that stuff on his site. He does the same stuff for the “agility ladder”.

Problem is that i got them used, and for the price of replacing the blade ($100cnd) it was not worth it for me as i paid only $50cnd for the skates when i bought them, i am going to buy another used pair as well if i can help it, so hopefully it won’t cost too much.

But the principles are there, you can buy cheap cones to do those drills or make your own hurdles cheaply out of wood. Doing them differently also prvides variety and reduces boredom.

Granite if you are still looking for info…are you a goalie??? I think you said you where…if you are I would not train like a d-man or forward…you want core and leg strength…I played with a goalie couple of years back in halifax…a russian named Volkov…he would train with a lot of weird stuff…I think he said he got it from the old famous Russian goalie Tretiyak…if you are interested I can explain some of the stuff he would do to help him as a goalie!!!
As for training books…I do like Blatherwick’s Over-Speed training book although it may be outdated as it is kind of old!! Peace dudes!!!

Picked this up based on you guys’ recommendation, I got a lot out of it. Thanks for the heads up.