Do you have any guidelines concerning pre-game and after meals?

In Soccer…:confused:And for supplements?

For Duxx…

Get Lyle Mcdonald’s ‘The Protein Book’, and check out ‘Paleo Diet for Athletes’, John Berardi’s book

In terms of scientific research that has been carried out into this topic a low GI carbohydrate source should be consumed about 1 hour prior to performance, in order to reduce rebound hyperglycaemia. The amount of carbohydrate should be in the region of 40-75 grams in order to reduce any incidence of gastrointestinal distress. These studies look at cycling and running - but it would be appear that the same mechanisms would occur during soccer.

During the game in order to maintain blood glucose levels a carbohydrate drink should be ingested. The only study that I know of is by Currell 2008 whereby a carbohydrate drink has been shown to increased soccer skill performance vs placebo. In cycling and running trials an increased time trial performance is shown with a carbohydrate drink. The best with a glucose and fructose mix which provides 1g/min of carbohydrate. e.g. a drink with 90g of carbohydrate will be optimal for the duration of the soccer match. I would advise against any further ingestion of carbohydrate during exercise as it may again lead to gastrointestinal distress.

3.4g/kg/bodyweight of caffeine alongside a carbohydrate drink has also been shown to increase cycle time trial performance more so than carbohydrate alone.

Post-exercise studies have shown muscle glycogen replenishment to be optimal when consuming carbohydrate during the 4 hours post-exercise in feedings every 30 mins, with the amount 1.2-1.4g/kg/bodyweight. This may pose logistical problems, so the most important thing is to ingest the carbohydrate rapidly post-exercise.

A high GI (such as glucose) carbohydrate drink is ideal for immediately post-exercise and then carbohydrate rich foods are then recommended.

I would suggest trying some of these protocols and seeing what works best for you