Density Hypertrophy

Most of you have probably heard of this type of training esp if you been following the online journals. I would like to hear thoughts.

What is density hypertrophy?

"During a set of 8-12 your form usually deteriorates along with speed. So using this method takes care of both. Even if your form stays perfect your bar speed will most likely slow down. If only doing 4 reps at a time your bar speed will remain more constant.

This method can be used as a regular hypertrophy phase. So if you are following Western periodisation this phase would be followed by Max Strength. The athletes I train use this phase right after GPP. And it works well wether your goal is more endurance or power becuase it carries over well into either.

Usually a cycle of 6 weeks is best. what’s recomended is to start with a lighter percent than normal hypertrophy training to get the body used to the workout. So start with 60% and 8 sets of 4, then the following week 65% and 7 sets of 4. Then the fun starts, do about 2 warmup sets (sets of 2 work well) to get up to the right weight then it’s 6 sets of 4 with 70%. Next week 3 warmup sets and 5 sets of 4 with 75%. Then you have 4 warmup sets followed by 4 sets of 4 with 80%. The last week of the phase should be a down week to let your body recover, usually 2 warmups followed by 6 sets of four at 70%. Then it’s on to Max Strength.

The exercises that this works best with are squats and presses. You probably could do this with cleans or snatches but I think it would take to much out of you.

I use this setup when I want to get away from the powerlifts. So I use this as more of a gpp type workout, and something different to do to keep my mind fresh. I’ve only done this personally for a session at a time, as I could really care less about hypertrophy of any kind".

Hello.
Depends on objective of strength endurance block/ or when one would utilize higher volumes in training year… The never-ending discussion on how many reps need to be continuously performed to impart significant physiological changes may not be answered anytime soon… but we do know that a certain amount of FG stimulus must occur to allow for ammonia production to increase… leading to activation of PFK… possibly to chronically enhance this enzyme’s (and additional isoforms) concentration levels…

8x4x60% looks like a ton of volume for a runner?..

8x4x kg = 32xkg = 3x10 or 3x11 x kg. so no difference in overall load… no not a ton of volume to be deleterious to runner/ push athlete… the subtle differences in rep scheme may be in the impact to changes in cellular chemistry… also, some anecdotal evidence questions ability of athlete to maintain neural focus for 8 sets (not including warm up or warm down sets). I am not opposing or proposing either set-up… just providing additional thoughts.

Forgot to add the athlete would rest 15-30sec between each set.

The short rest period during sets would impart similar changes compared to traditional rep schemes… but at the same time, one must ask if 15-30 seconds is enough rest for the CNS to allow for continued force production througuout set that is desired in this protocol.

Totally agree, most athletes usually increase the rest to 45-90sec between sets. From what I hear it does wonders for work capacity and building a foundation for the year.

Lastly, if you look at literature…including Robinson, J.M., Stone, M.H. (1995) one can see that rest periods may not factor into improving strength endurance capabilities… as it may be the actual work imposed on body during set. Even during an S.E. block… when one is told to take extended rest periods (2’-4’) force production was allowed to be maintained (or increased), explosive abilities may be maintained…all the while work capacity increased.

The primary stimulus for myofibrillar hypertrophy is tension. Fooling around with speed weights out of a gross misunderstanding of neural physiology (the above is Waterbury isn’t it) isn’t how you achieve that.

Elitetrack and Ethan Reeve.

http://www.elitetrack.com/forums/viewthread/509/

Theory aside, the overwhelming empirical evidence from dozens of scientific studies as well as decades of qualitative observation made by thousands of bodybuilders and weightlifters has shown the best rep range for producing hypertrophy centers around 8 reps per set with adequate rest beween sets.

It’s more then just hypertrophy - work capacity development and strong foundation.

I think both could work, most people would say the density method is better for speed/power athletes. If I’m correct I believe DP uses the density method with the ol’s.

For work capacity I think it works great, up to a point. My comments were directed to the rep range. If you’re going to use a density strategy, but want the additional benefit of hypertrophy, its the wrong rep range. You could use a density strategy, but using a rep range around 8 will do more for both strength endurance and hypertrophy without losing any of the benefits derived from a density approach.

I could see density training with 8’s looking ugly for a speed/power athlete - technique breakdown, horrible bar speed, and too much fatigue. I would start off with 2 weeks of 3x10 follow by the 6 week density program - best of both worlds and a strong base for max strength work.