Core Training-by me

VIVA!!!Thamx

can swiss ball training really compare to the forces created by sprinting?

No. No it can’t. As a matter of fact, swiss ball training can’t even mimic gravity (the primary resistance we humans were meant to work against). But if you’re talking about the recent posts by Charlie and Clemson, I believe they are talking about “medicine” balls, which are a very different tool, and are not meant to compare to the forces created by sprinting.

I was reading through this thread and I came across the following statement.

“I come from the school of Paul Chek and one of his big things was the fact that our internal/external obliques are fast twitch. Throwing a spear for example.”

Sorry, but no! Chucking a spear well is the summation of coordinated movements that begin with the rhythm on the run way especially over the last three steps setting up an massive blocking of horizontal travel so that the lower body can optimally transfer and build horizontal speed through the core and out to the limbs hopefully resulting in a correctly coordinated pull aimed at generating an incredible amount of hand speed (whip analogy). It is a whole body coordinated technical event. It is not, and I repeat not, the result of having or using your “fast twitch” obliques. In fact your obliques are used in this throw to stabalize against your ripping your body in half (don’t laugh some of us have) because of the forces that you generate.

So far as core work goes, listen to the man, use a great deal of variety because your stabalizing muscles adapt quickly to stress. Most of my athletes incorporate elements of traditional pilates, core pyramids, medicine ball drills, olympic lifts and yoga. Every single one of these exercises has a spill over into ancillary strength when I need it or a flexibility component when I need it. All of them are efficient uses of my athletes time and training focus. I do not waste their time doing high intensity core work when I need a fresh Nervous System for skill development. It is necessary to monitor and adjust intensity and the difficulty of these exercises as well as the volume performed through adding pulses or more more complexity to the exercise.

So far as intensity goes you can change the percieved difficulty of any core activity simply by changing the direction of effort, the timing or rhythm of the exercise, adding static elements to it, or just by executing with a great deal of concentration on the movement itself. For example take the common sit up. If you begin by pressing your lower back to the floor and sucking in your belly button as far as it will go and then knitting you rib cage tight to your stomache, you can add a degree of intensity. Go further by sitting up one vertebrae at a time, and then, when you are sitting up extend your arms up and stretch as tall as you can get. Keeping your hands above your head lower yourself back down slowly one vertebrae at a time. Want to add a flexibility component to it? Perform the exercise with your legs straight out and flat with your ankles dorsiflexed and instead of reaching up reach straight out in front of you as far as you can go. Again, lower yourself back slowly and one vertebrae at a time. Want to scream for mercy? Half way back down stop with your hands reaching up as far as you can over your head, start to pulsate your arms from the shoulders and count to 50. Want to get an oblique just add a twist before you pulsate.

The point here is that you have enough of a load neurally just with your sprint training and lifts. You can hit multiple training elements by being creative and using a wide variety of activities for your core program. It would seem both efficient and smart.

T Dickson

Chek wrong? Goodness! Surely not. It must be you and I who don’t understand our own business!

Here, Here Charlie. Chek wings it all the time.

Is correct?

Bump!!!

Yes. There are a number of threads on this in the archives and in the E-books available on the site store.

yes, lots of reps, high volumes and all with as much variety as possible (med ball, angles, upper/lower body, etc)…

so what exercises are best for the vertical jump
and how often should u train ur core
reps? sets?

for vertical jump specifically, personally id say that woodchoppers are a good exercise because they somewhat mimic the movement of your abs in a jump…how often u train it depends a lot on your work capacity, some people train everyday, some people only once a week, for woodchoppers personally id go 2-4 sets of 8-12 reps, thats just my opinion though

Hi everyone I’m new to this site.

I have read this thread with great interest.

Until recently I was a huge chek fan, now i think he is a quack with a good marketing team behind him. I was booked into the 1st part of his cert scheme for January but I’ve recently cancelled.

Where should I look and what should I read to help me get the truth about the core and learn more about whats mentioned in this thread.

Many thanks

Aside from the E-books available here on this site, I think you’ll find quite a few providing illustrations of low-intensity, high volume core exercises. You can check out the discussion in the Forum Review about some of Chek outrageous BS stories regarding Ben and me.

In addition to what Charlie mentioned, a good book for some core information is “Ultimate Back Fitness and Performance” by Stuart McGill

i can’t find this core training stuff to fit anywhere in the scheme of the total training regime, yet the “experts” everywhere seem to have no trouble, interesting!! speed on a bubble? can it be possible?

If core training is low intensity- what’s the problem? Do it anytime you can every day. Do some first thing in the morning, as part of the warm-up, at the end- wherever and whenever.

what i meant was from a philosophical standpoint. but you somewhat answered that within the text of your message. if it is low intensity, it can fit anywhere.

the more, the better! seriously, they seem to work fine with me and don’t affect other aspects
know you agree, just saying

the question then remains, if it is low intensity, then can core training really transfer into applicable stability through the torso for speed work or sprinting since the forces needed are intensive in nature?