Cool-down useless at best?

Is the Exercise Cool-Down Really Necessary?

The New York Times

By GINA KOLATA
Published: October 13, 2009

MY husband and I were riding our bikes not long ago, and when we were about a mile from home, we did our usual thing. We call it the sprint to the finish: ride as hard and as fast as we can until we reach our driveway, racing to see who could get there first.

We pulled up, slammed on our brakes and hopped off our bikes. A neighbor was walking by and said, “How did you do that?”

“I just put on my brakes,” I told him. No, he said, he meant how could we just stop like that without cooling down?

Strange as it might seem, that had never occurred to me. But the cool-down is enshrined in training lore. It’s in physiology textbooks, personal trainers often insist on it, fitness magazines tell you that you must do it — and some exercise equipment at gyms automatically includes it. You punch in the time you want to work out on the machine and when your time is up, the machine automatically reduces the workload and continues for five minutes so you can cool down.

The problem, says Hirofumi Tanaka, an exercise physiologist at the University of Texas, Austin, is that there is pretty much no science behind the cool-down advice.

The cool-down, Dr. Tanaka said, “is an understudied topic.”

”Everyone thinks it’s an established fact,” he added, “so they don’t study it.”

It’s not even clear what a cool-down is supposed to be. Some say you just have to keep moving for a few minutes — walking to your car after you finish a run rather than stopping abruptly and standing there.

Others say you have to spend 5 to 10 minutes doing the same exercise, only slowly. Jog after your run, then transition into a walk. Still others say that a cool-down should include stretching.

And it’s not clear what the cool-down is supposed to do. Some say it alleviates muscle soreness. Others say it prevents muscle tightness or relieves strain on the heart.

Exercise researchers say there is only one agreed-on fact about the possible risk of suddenly stopping intense exercise.

[b]When you exercise hard, the blood vessels in your legs are expanded to send more blood to your legs and feet. And your heart is pumping fast. If you suddenly stop, your heart slows down, your blood is pooled in your legs and feet, and you can feel dizzy, even pass out.

The best athletes are most vulnerable, said Dr. Paul Thompson, a cardiologist and marathon runner who is an exercise researcher at Hartford Hospital in Connecticut.[/b]

“If you are well trained, your heart rate is slow already, and it slows down even faster with exercise,” he said. “Also, there are bigger veins with a large capacity to pool blood in your legs.”

That effect can also be deleterious for someone with heart disease, said Carl Foster, an exercise physiologist at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse, because blood vessels leading to the heart are already narrowed, making it hard for blood to get in. “That’s always a concern,” Dr. Foster said. “But to my knowledge there is not a wealth of experimental data.”

But does it matter for the ordinary, average athlete? “Probably not a great deal,” Dr. Thompson said. And, anyway, most people don’t just stand there, stock still, when their workout is over. They walk to the locker room or to their house or car, getting the cool-down benefit without officially “cooling down.”

The idea of the cool-down seems to have originated with a popular theory — now known to be wrong — that muscles become sore after exercise because they accumulate lactic acid. In fact, lactic acid is a fuel. It’s good to generate lactic acid, it’s a normal part of exercise, and it has nothing to do with muscle soreness. But the lactic acid theory led to the notion that by slowly reducing the intensity of your workout you can give lactic acid a chance to dissipate.

Yet, Dr. Foster said, even though scientists know the lactic acid theory is wrong, it remains entrenched in the public’s mind.

“It’s an idea we can’t get rid of,” he said.

In fact, Dr. Tanaka said, one study of cyclists concluded that because lactic acid is good, it is better not to cool down after intense exercise. Lactic acid was turned back into glycogen, a muscle fuel, when cyclists simply stopped. When they cooled down, it was wasted, used up to fuel their muscles.

As far as muscle soreness goes, cooling down doesn’t do anything to alleviate it, Dr. Tanaka said. And there is no physiological reason why it should.

That’s also the conclusion of a study of muscle soreness by South African researchers who asked 52 healthy adults to walk backward downhill on a treadmill for 30 minutes — an exercise that can cause sore leg muscles. The participants were randomly assigned to cool down by walking slowly uphill for 10 minutes or simply to stop exercising. The result, the researchers reported, was that cooling down did nothing to prevent sore muscles.

And muscle tightness?

“In a different generation we would have called it an old wives’ tale,” Dr. Foster said. “Now I guess I’d call it an old physiologists’ tale. There are no data to support the idea that a cool-down helps.” But, he added, once again, “it’s an idea we can’t get rid of.”
Exercise researchers say they act on their own advice.

Dr. Thompson says if he is doing a really hard track workout he will jog for a short distance when he finishes to avoid becoming dizzy. If he runs a half marathon, he will “start shuffling forward,” after he crosses the finish line, for the same reason.

As for Dr. Tanaka, he does not cool down at all. He’s a soccer player and, he says, he sees no particular reason to do anything after exercising other than just stop.

I imagine it is going to vary drastically based upon the activity you’re doing. Going for a bike ride or a jog is going to require a different cool down (if any) than someone who just got done doing a very heavy and relatively high volume lifting workout.

I do agree with the statement in the article in cooldowns being an under-studied topic. Much has been conducted in terms of warm-ups but not so much on the cooldowns.

Related very much to the point above in the KK post is what I heard years ago that the importance of a CD after any workout or meet was in bringing the various systems involved down to the baseline in unison. That is particulaly in runs of approximately 300m+ where lactic acid was prevalent was that the heart rate would drop at a faster rate than the blood vessels would re-constrict leading to low blood pressure. If one could continue jogging or at least walking fairly briskly for a few minutes (how many I don’t recall hearing, specifically) after the race or exercise bout, the heart rate could remain a bit higher while the reconstriction could occur thus keeping the blood pressure drop to a minimum. Again, I have no evidence of this nor any physiology book I could point to as the source for this information but it is something I heard years ago.

Another point of the CD as I heard it was that by keeping the HR up for a while longer you would have a better opportunity to flush out metabolites that won’t be as easy to accomplish with a sudden stopping of all activity.

After a cold winter’s night of 300s last year I decided to lie on the track immediately after finishing. My blood pressure dropped so low I had to call a friend to come scrape me off the track and take me home. And I live directly across the street from the track.

I’ve long suspected it hasn’t mattered for my own workouts (I’m a slightly above average Joe whose training is now geared towards vertical jump & overall fitness), because I’ve never noticed any positive benefit of cooling down.

Even a cool down with various Abs routine then 5-10min of static hold stretching makes you feel awesome once done. I no longer let my clients go EXPECTING that they will do abs and stretching on their own. They have to do it before they leave me now, which means they now have to pay to do abs and stretching. And the results speak for themselfs. I will never leave out that 15min “cool down” from a program again.

Even if somebody “just” goes for a jog for say 15 - 20min. Just jogging tightens you up (to make you more efficient at the jogging), and a good stretch down afterwards does wonders to bring you quickly back to normal state.

Even a cool down with various Abs routine then 5-10min of static hold stretching makes you feel awesome once done. I no longer let my clients go EXPECTING that they will do abs and stretching on their own. They have to do it before they leave me now, which means they now have to pay to do abs and stretching. And the results speak for themselfs. I will never leave out that 15min “cool down” from a program again.

Even if somebody “just” goes for a jog for say 15 - 20min. Just jogging tightens you up (to make you more efficient at the jogging), and a good stretch down afterwards does wonders to bring you quickly back to normal state.

“My athletes” used to just walk a lap barefooted on grass. Then get massage as soon as able (cost usually being the decisive factor). We did some stretching, not much though because I was a little worried that stretching an already torn-down muscle might cause more harm then good.

Interesting. I started similar discussion few years back.
http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/showthread.php?t=12905

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think Charlie has mentioned somewhere that muscles after training take 4 hours to restore to their normal length. By stretching them straight after you can get them back to normal length straight away thus improving recovery by 4 hours.

Certainly seems that way with me and my clients too. Perhaps even longer time period (recovery period) with older (nearing 30) clients.

I always feel that after training my muscles are at their longest presumably due to them being so warm.

Welcome “home” Duxx. Everyone should read at least Page 1 of your thread. It’s a PED for the brain … :cool:

Yes, please have a look at the thread

Those “SCIENTISTS” sometimes can only see as far way as their nose.
Cool down is important,and multi faceted.
There can be some light activity, which can be useless or not regarding lcatate removal, there could be stretching, important for the reasons remembered, there could be spine deloading, sometimes easy postural exercises.
Also, not to forget the psichological effect…going form 100 mph to zero sometimes is not the best, especially when training late in the evening.

A few thoughts:

-Mike Boyle likes to have his hockey players perform a flush ride after games.

-I recall Poliquin talking about NOT static stretching after strength training.

-Does the activity beforehand dictate what type of cool-down would best serve the athlete?

-It seems that static stretching feels good when done after low intensity work.