Combine season 2010

James, after the bowl, what is your thinking for this year, learning from last year?

I have my first guy, a D2 DB. Curious how he will respond to my training. He’s a 10.80 FAT 100m guy in HS, ran a 4.38 on ym slow watch in the spring.

Is he training for a pro day or combine?

He’ll be pro day at MSU and CMU

I still have to formulate my plan for this group. More and more of the guys are expressing interest in having me prepare them after seeing how the players from the last two years performed on their tests.

The only significant modification I’ve forcasted, at this point, is going to be regular massage that I’ll ensure takes place in addition to a formalized nutrition plan. While I worked on some guys myself in previous years, regarding massage, I’m planning on contracting out this time in the interest of time management.

As far as the training plan goes, I’ll know more in the coming weeks.

Yes James I’m interested in to what you have to say about this. Because there are so many quote on quote combine prep places popping up saying that they can do this or do that to prepare you. Ok what about the rest of training camp, preseason and the regular season?

I’ll probably document this round of combine/pro-day preparation in some format that I can distribute for sale.

My plan has been, and will likely continue to be, an aggregate of my original ideas synthesized with the influence that Charlie, Verkhoshansky, Issurin, and Bondarchuk have had on my training and programming strategies.

Regarding the training for the returning players, I released a DVD a few months ago that outlines the training from January through mid March and May through the end of July.

Regarding the training that occurs throughout spring ball, training camp, and the competition calendar, I am nearing the end of completing the lecture slides that will appear in my next DVD that I’d like to have available within the next 30 days. I distribute these through my website.

James, any update on how this combine/pro day preparation is working out? Hopefully most were able/wise enough to stay and train with you.

This reminded me to update on my guy. He went to the Cactus bowl (d2 senior bowl) and ran the fastest 40 there. Only thing they tested. He ran a 4.50 into the wind. We start back up tomorrow to prep for his march day.

Congrats keep it up. Will he be tested on more than just a 40 at the next date? How much time did u have with him what kind of general approach did you take?

Should be an exciting Combine for sure. There is a large crop of guys with sub 4.3 potential. Off the top of my head: Trindon Holliday, Jacoby Ford, C.J Spiller, Jahvid Best and Taylor Mays if you believe what they report at SC.

I had 2 weeks before his game. We did basic sled work, but very minimal, more for posture. We worked some on start and transition mechanics.

He had en existing back issue which was worked out through my chiro.

His proday will be the full monty of testing and position drills. One facilities surface is slow, and the other not sure. On a good surface, He should run in the low 4.3s, and shuttle in the 4.0 range based on his current workout numbers.

As of this week, I’m training Dorin Dickerson for Indianapolis and Bill Stull and Adam Gunn for Pro Day. I’m still waiting to find out about a couple other skill guys.

are having a fun late winter. I saw ESTI’s guy do an agility workout. He was tired but his ability to change direction and accelerate was sick. He tapers well and he should have a nice pro day. ESTI is a smart guy, his protege just needs to let him guide him in. Nice seeing Joique Bell do his thing in Senior Bowl. Nice seeing some fellow D2 guys get an opportunity.

Looking good James. 4.40/4.43

My athlete had his first pro day today. Weird it started at 8am. Seemed early.

Overall, it was a huge rush to get guys tested.

No agenda was given until 5 minutes before the first test. Was hard to plan warm ups etc.

They started with ht wt, then jumps. My guy was 5"11 and 186 (corner). Vert was 36.5 and broad was 9’11.5

They then went to 40s. I had him at 4.31 on my watch. One team told us he was at 4.46. After his run, one team scout turned around and said “holy shit, what did you get?” So i m guessing that was a good thing. At least on my watch, he ran the fastest time since we started, which is great considering we haven’t done much since his hammy cramp almost 4 weeks ago. We have done mostly 20s at sub max.

The agility testing was a disaster. They broke guys into two groups, they got 1 clean time. My guy was last and tip toed on crappy turf. Was on of best times there too. (3 cone)

The next agility test (short shuttle) was done about 2 minutes later (seriously). He didn’t do well. Turf was all torn up. He was absolutely the last one on this test.

They asked him to do long shuttle and again the turf was awful.

He did not bench and waited about 30 minutes before doing position drills. Immediately after, he was asked to do some mental test on paper called TAP.

He was invited to come to another pro day to re test his agility times. Hope their turf is better.

Overall, was good performance. We think he did well enough to get on a roster for rookie camp in may. There are about 6 teams interested and 3 are seriously interested. I’m excited for him, especially since he coming from small school.

Overall not bad, I hope he has very good cover/ball skills/ST ability because at his size/speed it’s going to help him make a final roster.

BTW, that’s typical of most small school pro days. If you attend big programs or programs that have top 10 prospects things will be totally different - different level of respect.

That is what we joked about. Out of 30 guys, 10 did position drills. The others were there to give these guys rest :slight_smile:

Go to Florida’s pro day next week, I promise no one will be rushed there. Football is a tough sport to make it in, this is why I have much respect for guys like Wes Welker etc.