Carl Lewis Q&A

A Brief Chat With Carl Lewis
August 5, 2011 1:00 am
Reported by Megan Hetzel

Photo by Giancarlo Colombo/Photo Run)

Carl Lewis is often rated as the greatest track and field Olympian of all-time. He won nine Olympic gold medals, including four at the 1984 Los Angeles Games and four consecutive ones in the long jump in 1984, 1988, 1992, and 1996. He also won eight World Championships golds between 1983 and 1991. He was a “Track & Field News” Male Athlete of the Year three times in a row, and “Sports Illustrated” named him “Olympian of the Century.” Lewis was interviewed in connection with his role as a spokesperson and ambassador (along with Rafer Johnson) for the Hershey Track & Field Games North American Final Meet, a gathering for children ages 9 to 14 in Hershey, Pennsylvania.

Could you tell me about the Hershey Track & Field Games program and how you’re involved?
Carl Lewis: Well, first of all this is my sixth year. I was looking at that today, and I couldn’t believe it. Yeah, six years ago I got involved with it for a couple of reasons. Number one, they reached out to me through a number of intermediaries and asked if I was interested. Basically it fits the narrative that I’ve always done since my retirement as well as with my foundation of dealing with kids and youth and family and exercise and fitness, and that’s the focus of my foundation. So this is the sixth year, but what’s great about this year is that we’ve really expanded, and I’m really excited. I’ve now got on the board of the Hershey Track and Field Games. I’ve been working more closely, directly with Rafer Johnson, someone I’ve always admired, and working with the kids and being involved in that program. So it’s really been tremendous. It’s exactly what I enjoy doing. It’s what I do on a daily basis back in New Jersey because I’m a volunteer coach at my high school. So it all fits just right in, and it’s wonderful seeing these kids every year. I was involved in the Jesse Owens Games when I was younger. (The Hershey Games) a similar type of program, and to see these kids doing the same thing, it’s really exciting. I know how excited they are.

How does this program relate to your own childhood and your own upbringing?
CL: Well, I grew up running track, and I started at about eight or nine years old …. I met Jesse (Owens), and I was able to qualify and go to San Francisco for the Jesse Owens Games. It’s a very similar program, except we didn’t get chocolate, and we didn’t come to Chocolate World. We just went to a city. But it’s very, very similar, and it’s just tremendous that here I am x-amount of years later, and that was in the '70s, and now here we are in the 2000s, and I’m working with kids doing the same type of thing. For me, I kind of look back and say, “Wow, this is what a lot of the athletes or the adults were thinking and looking at and what they felt when I was competing as a teenager back in those days.”

What is the importance of this program in terms of the kids as well as to the world of track and field?
CL: The great thing about this is that it’s bigger, I wouldn’t say bigger than track and field, that’s an unfair assessment, but it’s really about running, jumping, and throwing, and track and field is a very important component. When people think of track and field, they think of running down the track and who’s the fastest and you go to the World Championships. Well, some of the kids in this program will definitely do that because they have in the past and will in the future. But for most of the kids, the focus is running, jumping and throwing, and as you may know, the events are different. They have the standing long jump instead of the running long jump, and they have the softball throw.

So these (events) more mimic what you’re going to do in all sports. I think a lot of the kids, when we get up to 13 or 14 years of age, which is the last year of Hershey, in track and field, a lot of these kids either stay in track or go to another sport. But the vast majority ultimately ends up going to other sports, and they kind of leave track and field behind. Whereas in Hershey, with the softball throw and the standing jump, you’re really preparing those kids more for these other sports. I think the biggest lesson in life that you get in all sports is the camaraderie with the teammates, all that stuff. But they understand that we’re going to stop at 14 (years old), if you go on and become a world class athlete, that’s great, but if you go on and become a football player and you learned something here, or baseball or whatever, or to just go on and become an executive. So it’s that kind of thing, where it prepares these kids for life, because the focus is running, jumping and throwing.

You announced earlier that you were going to run your first marathon this year.
CL: I’m not sure where I’m going to run it, but in my 50th year, I said that I would like to finish a marathon. Houston is definitely one of the logical places because I’ve lived there a long time and obviously spent a lot of time there. I know that marathon well.

What’s the status on your training and how have you been preparing for that?
CL: It’s funny, marathon runners train, the rest of us just work out, so I wouldn’t put what I would do at all in the category of training. For me, my motto is I’m not going to be the first to start, I’m not going to be the last to finish. That’s it, that’s all I’ll promise anyone. I think if I finish, I will have accomplished something. Because really, two years ago, I established that I wanted to do something for the rest of my life that I never thought I would do, and I never thought I would finish a marathon. So, I’m doing it for that purpose, which I guess is why most of the people do it. Most people go and say, “Hey, it’s something I never thought I could do,” or, “Can I go and finish it?” So, that’s what I’m trying to do.

Well good luck with that!
CL: Oh, I’ll need it!

With the Olympics coming up next year, what do you think will be the outcome, in terms of how Usain Bolt with do, with Tyson Gay being hurt, what are your predictions on it?
CL: You know what, honestly, and you probably have not been able to find any predictions from me have you? Because I don’t. The reason I don’t is because, it’s a two-tier thing. Number one, if I say, oh I think so-and-so is going to win, then everyone rushes to them and says, “Carl predicted you, and yada yada yada.” The other reason I don’t, so number two, I am, without question, biased toward the Americans. I want the United States to win because that’s who I represented. You know, I respect athletes from all over the world, but when it breaks down and when you ask, “Who do you want to win?” Okay, who’s running for us? That’s where I am. I was in the game long enough to know that you can’t predict anything, especially a year out. You don’t even know who’s going to be there. Look at Tyson Gay now, you just don’t know. So I think that the biggest thing is for us to know that we’re going to have a good, solid team for the United States, and I really hope that we have a lot of success.

I heard that you were running for the Senate in New Jersey and that your candidacy was rejected initially. What’s the status on that?
CL: It’s really interesting because of the way, when you have the governor, the secretary of state, and the attorney general, then you have a good opportunity to try to control the narrative, but the reality is that they tried to challenge my residency. A law judge immediately said that no, the residency was upheld, and then the governor basically ordered the secretary of state to throw me off the ballot illegally. You can print all of that because that’s what happened. Then I sued in Federal Court, they put me back on the ballot, and now I’ve been running and moving on and just doing my thing. The election is in November. They’re still trying to get me off the ballot. It’s really interesting because I’m just a candidate, and I’ve never been up for office. I’m trying to do what I think is right in the community and do something that is an extension of the service that I give. I don’t want to be a politician, I just want to serve, and now we have the governor trying to keep me off the ballot. I think the narrative is what’s happening to a lot of the governors, like our governor, who are changing the voting laws in different states and making it more difficult young people and older people and people of color. Here we are, it’s the same kind of thing. They’re disenfranchising the public, and they’re trying to narrow down who the candidates are. I think that’s just it.

But for me, it’s going well. I’m meeting people, and people understand what I’m doing. They go to my Website, and follow what I believe in, they ask questions. We also have a Twitter page. They’re getting all of that, so it’s a very positive grassroots campaign that’s not worried about negativity, it’s not worried about the other candidates. It’s focused on the future and what I believe I need to do in my community because that’s who I’m running for. I’m not running to save the world, I’m running because I’m in schools every day working with kids, my mother’s an 81-year-old retired person for a pension there. I’m an old member of Best Buddies with kids with intellectual disabilities so, you know, they’re being affected. Women’s health is important because people in my family, my sisters and people that I know that are being affected. So it’s really hitting me personally. And an education, you know, education is being cut, and my parents were teachers. I understand the importance of an education, so really that’s why I’m in there. It isn’t really about saving the world. It’s about really having a complete, direct affect in my life, and the extension of the things I enjoy doing. You should go to the website or go to Twitter and just follow it. It’s carllewisfornj.com.

What do you consider your single athletic accomplishment that you’re most proud of out of everything that you’ve accomplished?
CL: Well, the most proud of would be the fourth gold medal in the long jump. Doing that at 35 and to have that success at that stage in my career. I would say it’s the proudest moment because I did it at the end at 35. Everyone kept trying, and no one could ever beat me at the Olympics, so that’s something to be proud of. I would look back on that time as just tremendous. I never thought I would win one as a kid growing up, and I ended up winning four when no one else had won two. It’s just amazing.

Now that you’re retired from the sport, you’re a coach at your high school, and your involved at the Hershey Track and Field Games, tell me about what else you’ve been doing to keep in touch with the sport and how you’ve maintained your relationship with it.
CL: My foundation sponsors two youth clubs, and I also work with what is called the CL Stars, which is based in Houston, and the other is called Fit Forever, which is based in New Jersey. Of course, I’m also a volunteer coach at Willingboro High School, my high school, and I coach some of those kids there. And then, of course, the Hershey Games. That’s kind of the extent. You know, my focus is, you can image, is 18 and under, and it’s more kids-based and what they’re doing, as opposed to worrying about the professional level. They seem to have that taken care of.

Is there anything else you want to tell me about in terms of the Hershey Track and Field Games?
CL: My biggest thing is that I think it’s a wonderful event because it’s so simplistic. The kids come here, they try to get here, they get to the final, then they try to kill each other on the track. First of all, they come here, they go to Hershey Park, they get chocolate, they do all that stuff that kids do, and they become the best friends in the world. Then Saturday, they go out and try to kill each other. Really they just try to kill each other, and, then guess what? Ten minutes later they have a candy bar and then go to a party. It’s exactly what kids do. It’s something that we adults, especially in Washington, should pay attention to. The kids actually come in as friends, then they try to kill each other, and then they leave as friends because the common denominator here is chocolate. I mean everyone loves chocolate. The kids, at the end of the day, can be sad, and then someone hands them a candy bar, and the next thing you know, it’s off to the races. I just think it’s wonderful, and I just love to see those faces and the energy and the people and the kids. It’s just amazing.

KK this is a beautiful story, thank’s for sharing