Canadian Championships Sprint Results

come on man, gay ran fast in nasty weather.

Obviously you’ve never competed in a track meet in Vancouver, BC. Nothing like freezing cold rain hitting you in the face in May or June, and every track around is situated so that if you are a 100m runner, you run into a headwind.

It’s suprising that Harry Jerome even got a bronze medal at the Olympic 100m training in Vancouver. Well, he was in Oregon for a bit of time.

Send Tyson Gay up to Vancouver for the next Harry Jerome Track Classic, and I bet he runs 4 to 5 tenths slower.

really its that bad vancouver

dont forget about the soft tracks, and more often than not, behind schedule meets.

And like number2 said, there is no place to train from basically oct till may/june, so much for speed work.

they have to train somehow.

like i said man we need indoor track ASAP. all the top sprinters living around here who go down to the states or elsewhere other then British columbia will usually PB bigtime.

I took a sprinter to Harry Jerome two times during the mid to late 1980s and even when the sun is out in Vancouver the air can be so cold it chills to the bone. We gave it away, even in late June the air even on a calm, cloudless day can be painfully cold. But Vancouver is beautiful, so is Vancouver Island.

The weather has been pretty nice with the exception of th strong head winds during the heats. Before the finals there was a light rain and a delay for some reason. However, the rain stopped just before the start of the final!. With the Leblanc not competing in the final results was what one would expect. Currently Canada has approximately 12 to 15 men who either have a PB in the 10.2’s or currently running no better than 10.2 or so. So the 10.3’s run in the final were right around their PR or season best. The women were disappointing on so many levels I wont bother comment. However, I will say a jr came 2nd and that made for a nice story because she was so nervous in the heats that she only ran 12.39 (her pr is 11.68).

400m:
Tyler C. looked really impressive running 45.60 and then 45.10 in the final with a strong head wind on the back stretch. It’s safe to assume that he currently has more in the tank. It may not be 44.0, but he definitely appeared to be fit enough to run something in 44.mid to high at the moment.

200m:
The finals should be interesting with some of the top people running extremely conservative in the heats.

RG

Any updates

Barnett won the 200 in 20.52 into a -0.9 headwind I believe.

Better yet, send him up to Winnipeg in May, then we’ll see.

he would still run 9.9.

How about sitting him in a chair for 30m with all the rest- not allowed to move- then put him on the track in teaming rain- then delay the race while they run two amputee events- then hold up further for two national anthems with the sweats off- THEN run.
Welcome to Canada

Ahh yes, the long waits, I remember them well.

On a warm day maybe, (we do have a fast track, Bruny ran 9.8 on it) but on a cold day, forgetaboutit. We’re way colder than Vancouver and a very windy city as well (and don’t forget those long waits!)

Tyson Gay is still awesome, 10.13 in England, where the weather isn’t that great either. Many people would struggle to run 10.3 there.

i never understood this either?
in the jumping events we have to trust our mark because i have no time to do run throughs when u have to basically warm up all over again…in the heat it helps, but in cold rain, it doesnt matter what time of year it is.

the sprints have it worse, they literally jump into the blocks cold.

Is it me, or did they hold a whole crapload more wheelchair events at Nationals this year.

Sifting through the results was a real pain in the ass. They had the T24 100m, the M36 100m or the PBJ 100m.

The funny thing is that people always take a shit when kids ride their bikes on the track. Now we have wheelchairs all over the track.

However, I would watch the wheelchair polevault and triple jump if given the chance.

Hey! I’m not making this up- that’s how they ran the meet. Total jerk-offs. They had ALL the heats report in at the same time and held them in there till all the heats were run- God help the last heat!
BTW, I hran in Winnepeg Sept1 1970 Can vs Norway/Sweden- and it was 2C and pissing rain (they’d had 5 inches of snow the night before and it was just melting off!) I ran 10.2 and second was 11 flat. I warmed up in the bathroom most of the time and showed up moments before it was time to strip down. At least there were no anthems to deal with- prob cause the PA was frozen!

LOL! I love Winnipeg.That’s still a good time to put up.

Fortunately, the pissing rain was coming from behind!