Burbidge wins Stawell 2010

You are referring to the tactical error of running dead too close to the Stawell Gift.

What I was referring to was the general question of whether running dead is the way to go if you want to earn money on the pro circuit. I think that the small fine (small in relation to the earned benefit that is) for an obvious case of running dead will encourage rather than deter from this practice.

I think the result will be that other runners will reach the conclusion that running dead is the only way to winning the Stawell Gift, and that the benefits of this tactic outway the risks.

I think the result will be that other runners will reach the conclusion that running dead is the only way to winning the Stawell Gift, and that the benefits of this tactic outway the risks.

Hasn’t this been the case since the game was invented? As soon as one enters the pro circus the running dead strategy lingers in mind, and then, it only develops further as they progress through the ranks and get more experienced. Why? Well, because everyone thinks the same way - run dead, get a better mark, increase your chances.

Now, you will find some idealists (vast minority) who may say - we run fair and square. Sure! I believe you too!

Pro running success is not measured by the size of a trophy but by the size of a bank cheque!

If I wasn’t too old to participate in pro running, I too would carefully select minor gifts, run dead throughout a season and then suddenly peak for the Stawell gift. The incentive is too great for the hard working class. So the show goes on.

Run a consistant time for about 3 years, you would also have to do some VIC gifts. To get away with it otherwise I suggest a bit of help somewhere.

I know a couple of coaches who do the gifts and use the story to get under the handicappers guard when what they originally started to do was to keep the athletes away from the eyes of some preferred coaches who have athletes competing elsewhere.

Either way I really dont care but suggest it is wrong when people have to feel this way to survive.