Bruised foot

I’ve developed some bruising around the metatarsal of the little toe, it came to a head 2 weeks ago. I had an x-ray and there is no fracture. I’ve trained on it but the pain has got worse over the last two weeks.

Any advice on recovery? As it’s a muscular bruise I’m hooking my foot up to my Globus on recovery mode quite a bit. My first indoor comp is 4 weeks away.

I also need to adjust my training as the track volume and intensity is way down. I’m concentrating on complex weight training to make up the deficite.

stress fractures dont always show on xrays until after 3 weeks or so when there been plenty of osteo turnover, i recently (and still) developed a double stress fracture jones and lilfranc so been out for two months only just now able to start rehab to a serious level.

little toe is the 5 met and is where the jones fracture occures, at the other end from the toe.

I never personally had only bruising, are you sure that is all it is, look up jones fracture symtoms against your own, may help.

I had to abandon indoor plans :frowning:

Funnily enough there was a healed break in the bone, near the toe. It was probably from getting run over as a kid, I broke the left leg so wouldn’t have noticed the foot. They took 3 x-rays and the doc said there’s no fracture so I can’t really look into it much more.

What were your symptoms? The area has been sore on-and off for a while, I hit a heavy contact and got a sharper pain… but swapped spikes and finished the session. It’s got more uncomfortable ever since but I have been able to train on it, and infact the pain eases as I train.

you sure its old? how is feeling now

you sure its old? how is it feeling now

Well the doc said its an old healed fracture… so I gotta take what he says.

I rested it fully for 6days, then ran again yesterday. Did some starts, all was fine, then I hit a funny contact and it’s back to square 1.

So, it turns out my foot was broken all along… I’m recovered now, with some metal in a metatarsal :slight_smile: some pics below…

Some more graphic ones, viewer discretion advised!

last but not least, being screwed back together.

Guess you now have a METALtarsal. Speedy recovery mate.

Heat helps recovery of tissues (not sure about bones though).

Carbon ceramic fiber socks - greatly helped ease pain my foot, because these unique socks reflect your foots heat - several inches back in to the foot. (cotton socks only reflect heat about 3 millimeters back in to the foot.)

Go to www.firheels.com and have a browse.
I have used their socks and they are excellent - you will feel the differance. However, they are expensive - and should not be washed in the washing machine - and have to be air dried. You can only wash them with mild soap and cold water.
So eventually - I stopped wearing them.

The next best option for heat, is to purchase a wetsuit sock. Find them under such search terms as:

Neoprene socks
Fishing neoprene socks
wetsuit socks
Surfers’ neoprene socks etc… etc…

Neoprene is a material with good heat retention ability.

Right now - I am wearing a neoprene sock on my left foot. It is warm, snug and comfortable - and has in fact - eased a lot of the pain.

Neoprene is als very easy to wash and keep clean - and they are affordable.
They are about 3 millimeters thick and so they keep you warm.
Remember - as we aproach winter - things can take longer to heal - because of the temperature etc…

Stick a hot water bottle in your bed within the next month or so.

The above tips will help you - but I’m not sure if my below tip will help you. (as my foot problem is/was more to do wtih muscle than bone.)

Once a day, I take my foot out of that neoprene sock, and I dip my foot in bucket of cold water for 5 to 10 mins. (big plastic salad box at bottom of my refrigerator - used only for my foot.)

I put another neoprene sock - over toes only - when dipping foot in icy cold salad box water - to stop toes being at risk of severe temperature.)

Good luck.

Hey guys, thanks for the support… yes J, bulletproof feet :wink:

I am infact recovered now and back training. The only hitch is that I came back to sprinting too early and have had achilles issues… otherwise I’d have had half an outdoor season!

I’m interested in the socks you describe goose, espiecially with shin and achilles issues… i’l look into it.