Bolt starting 200m training soon

Bolt – “I have not yet started 200m training yet!

Jul 15th, 2009 and filed

By Gary Smith, World-Track

PARIS — Usain Bolt has revealed his 19.59 seconds in Lausanne was achieved without any serious 200m training and his bracing for something special once the time comes around for the World Championships in Berlin next month.

Running on a soaked track in 60-degrees weather with a slight headwind, Bolt ran the fourth fastest time in history and second best this year behind the impressive American Tyson Gay’s 19.58.

The performance was superb, but he is expecting better.

"I have not yet started 200m training yet! Between now and Berlin it’s going to be REALLY intense training,” he said during a press conference for Friday’s Meeting Areva, the fourth ÅF Golden League meeting for 2009.

“That’s why I ran so fast in Lausanne as if I had gone any slower then I knew that coach (Glen Mills) would have made the training I’m going to be doing after London (24/25 July) even more intense.”

The triple Olympic champion and world record holder will race over the 100m against a solid field and he said he was ready to produce something special for the crowd which is scheduled to be huge.

“I’m looking forward to it and if the weather is good like today (sunny, 23c) there should be something special.”

When asked by journalists how special? He echoed: “Something special!”

“I have come here to show them (the crowd) a good time, to show them a personality, to give them entertainment.”

“I feed off the energy of the crowd.”

Gay sent a strong warning that he will be ready for whatever the Jamaican plants in Berlin, with a personal best equalling 9.77 in Rome, on his way to dismissing former world record holder Asafa Powell, who ran 9.88.

But despite acknowledging the performance was remarkable, the 22-year-old Bolt said his confident has not dented.

“My coach and I didn’t really talk about that race” Gay ran in Rome.

“He just asked me what time am I going to run here in Paris, so he obviously is very confident in me and what I can run.”

“But I’m always a confident person, that’s the most important thing on the track.”

Bolt is not even worried about losing.

[b]“Even if I lose there is no breaking that confidence. I always just analyse my race and bounce back.”

“My coach told me ‘you have to learn how to lose before you can learn how to win’.”[/b]

“And I don’t fear any athlete whatever time they run.”

This is getting even better! Gay has not started with his speed training yet [only those 400s] while Bolt has not started with his 200m training which is going to be even more INTENSE!?!

This sentence:

“That’s why I ran so fast in Lausanne as if I had gone any slower then I knew that coach (Glen Mills) would have made the training I’m going to be doing after London (24/25 July) even more intense.”

• does not make any sense to me as it is contradicting with what he is trying to say. IMO, they are either talking crap intentionally or Bolt does not know what an intensive training means or maybe I do not know what intensity means :slight_smile:

Gay is therefore doing those 400s and running his best times in the 100 while not doing any speed yet. On the other side Bolt has run the fourth fastest 200m obviously doing only his less intense speed work and without “intense” 200m training which he is going to start doing about a month away from the WC!?

:confused:

Am I missing something here? I mean, I do not want to sound blunt or arrogant but…WTF!

Ye, with 400m training he runs 100m at 9,77. GOOD ONE…

The God gave them the gift to run fast, but he didn’t give them… :slight_smile:

Bolt ran a 19.59 in the rain off doing block starts and bounding while Gay ran a 19.58 after doing 800m/1500m workouts.
Interesting…

Powell’s 9.88 can be explained by the fact that he’s been primarily working on his synchronized swimming technique up to this point.

Im gonna get into bull riding for next season. I hear that the powerful bucks from the bull can greatly enhance core strength. If you can hang on long enough. I heard that was HSI’s secret

My interpretation of these words from Bolt is one of further confirmation that he seems to be following a S2L program - and/or that he is saying he hasn’t yet done much SSE (special speed endurance) at longer distances (150m+).

kk1,

My interpretation of these words from Bolt is one of further confirmation that he seems to be following a S2L program - and/or that he is saying he hasn’t yet done much SSE (special speed endurance) at longer distances (150m+).

My thoughts as well. Completely agree with you but that isn’t what Bolt said. OK, he meant it but he did not say it correctly. All three of them (Gay, Powell, Bolt) need further education in public speaking. This may seem a harsh comment but in today’s day and age and while you are representing your sponsors and getting paid hundreds of thousand of dollars, and when you decide to speak out or answer question…you need to answer them in correct and educated manner. If one can not do that then answers are to be short and limited the rest is their manager’s duty. Otherwise they do come across as … well you know…

Take a look at Federer, Woods, Thorpe etc. (not Beckham) these guys are articulate and they present themselves as true champions and role models.

I know not everyone is educated to the same extent but one can work on it and improve. One can also surround himself with those who can help and take further guidance from them. A short course in public speaking isn’t something that can not be accomplished in a relatively short period.

Personally, I felt saddened when I have heard a group of teenagers after the OG last year talking about Asafa’s interview with the BBC guy right after he ran the final. They made very valid comments on Asafa’s ahgh, hmmm, yeah, yeah oh hmmm my legs hmmm could not get my legs…

What I am trying to say here is this, (and yes I am disappointed) it comes down to coaching. Their coaches should point this out to them as they are also their mentors and guides. But then again, Mills’ interviews were rather as raw and as unpolished as Bolt’s. The same can be said for S. Francis. I have attended his seminars, and saw some interviews…hmmm. Don’t know about Gay’s coaches.

IMO, this is a serious issue that needs to be addressed. It is not good for our sport if the best athletes emit this type of image to the global audience.

(If I have offended anyone with this commentary I do apologise. That wasn’t my intention.)

P.S. Just watched the footage of the race in Paris. Bolt is a great showman, and I love watching him. He cracked me up with his “flying”. I just wish PUMA picks up on these issues and gets him “a makeover” ASAP. (Powell, Gay too).

There’s another sort of Bull going on here… and in general. (HSI’s secret used to be deer antler fuzz)

Yea, what about Gays coaches? I think it’s amazing that people can make it so far without a knowledgeable coach at this level which to me indicates that these people are genuinely talented.

Tyson, Spearman, lolo Jones and even taking it back to the 90s with Darnell Hall(400m) all have went long periods of coaching themselves.

Anyhow, I see no reason for the top sprinters to talk about what they do for training in a specific sense. Don’t you people study books on warfare?

To say they aren’t knowledgeable is to say you are getting the true, full story… and you already know you aren’t by your comment on warfare.

So much about this build up reminds me of Maurice Green and Michael Johnson 200m showdown…both ended up trying too hard and injuring themselves. The intensity is too much.

At this point I simply hope these guys make it to Berlin in one piece.

Yeah, or Bailey v Johnson over 150m.

Pressure shapes or distorts. I think in the case of the Sacramento meet (was it the 2000 US Olympic trials?, I was there and can’t remember :o) there was a lot more than ego on the line, national selection was there. Plus they had already won an event and were chasing a double, so they were fatigued a little. It was also very hot at that meet and they may have dehydrated some.

But, ONE, you’ve raised a good point, the biggest concern for everyone who wants to see the enormous promise of this showdown being delivered on the biggest stage this year. Imagine how deflating it would be for the sport and the Berlin world titles if Bolt - especially - could not compete. It would have been like Carl not being in Rome when Ben burst into prominence to the worldwide public with his 100WR. But having Carl on toast just gave the race so much more significance.

Yes, it’s about time we see another great duel like in 1987-1988.
There have been too many disappointments these last few years: Powell vs. Gatlin (Gatlin banned), Powell vs. Gay (Powell not peaking), Bolt vs Gay (Gay injured).

However, we shouldn’t complain too much, as the 3 fastest runners ever (by PB) are all near the peak of their careers (so far) at the same time.

Here are all the legal times under 9.80. Have a look at the years they were run. 7 of 15 were last year. Usain is the only one who has done it with a negative wind, though Asafa’s 9.72 could have been under 9.80 with a headwind as well.

This list is from www.alltime-athletics.com

9.69       ±0.0    Usain Bolt                         JAM     21.08.86    1      Beijing                      16.08.2008
          9.72       +1.7    Usain Bolt                         JAM     21.08.86    1rA    New York City                31.05.2008
          9.72       +0.2    Asafa Powell                       JAM     23.11.82    1rA    Lausanne                     02.09.2008
          9.74       +1.7    Asafa Powell                       JAM     23.11.82    1h2    Rieti                        09.09.2007
          9.76       +1.8    Usain Bolt                         JAM     21.08.86    1      Kingston                     03.05.2008
          9.77       +1.6    Asafa Powell                       JAM     23.11.82    1      Athínai                      14.06.2005
          9.77       +1.5    Asafa Powell                       JAM     23.11.82    1      Gateshead                    11.06.2006
          9.77       +1.0    Asafa Powell                       JAM     23.11.82    1rA    Zürich                       18.08.2006
          9.77       +1.6    Tyson Gay                          USA     09.09.82    1q1    Eugene                       28.06.2008
          9.77       -1.3    Usain Bolt                         JAM     21.08.86    1      Bruxelles                    05.09.2008
          9.77       +0.9    Asafa Powell                       JAM     23.11.82    1h1    Rieti                        07.09.2008
          9.77       +0.4    Tyson Gay                          USA     09.09.82    1      Roma                         10.07.2009
         9.78       ±0.0    Asafa Powell                       JAM     23.11.82    1      Rieti                        09.09.2007
         9.79       +0.1    Maurice Greene                     USA     23.07.74    1r3    Athínai                      16.06.1999
         9.79       -0.2    Usain Bolt                         JAM     21.08.86    1      Saint-Denis                  17.07.2009

The top 200m times these past few years have been terrific as well. Here are all the legal runs under 19.70. If you remove the runs from 1996, they are ALL in the last 3 years.

This list is from www.alltime-athletics.com

19.30      -0.9    Usain Bolt                         JAM     21.08.86    1      Beijing                      20.08.2008
          19.32      +0.4    Michael Johnson                    USA     13.09.67    1      Atlanta                      01.08.1996
          19.58      +1.3    Tyson Gay                          USA     09.09.82    1      New York City                30.05.2009
          19.59      -0.9    Usain Bolt                         JAM     21.08.86    1rA    Lausanne                     07.07.2009
          19.62      -0.3    Tyson Gay                          USA     09.09.82    1      Indianapolis                 24.06.2007
          19.63      +0.4    Xavier Carter                      USA     08.12.85    1      Lausanne                     11.07.2006
          19.63      -0.9    Usain Bolt                         JAM     21.08.86    1      Lausanne                     02.09.2008
          19.65      ±0.0    Wallace Spearmon                   USA     24.12.84    1      Daegu                        28.09.2006
          19.66      +1.7    Michael Johnson                    USA     13.09.67    1      Atlanta                      23.06.1996
         19.67      -0.5    Usain Bolt                         JAM     21.08.86    1      Athínai                      13.07.2008
         19.68      +0.4    Frank Fredericks                   NAM     02.10.67    2      Atlanta                      01.08.1996
         19.68      -0.1    Tyson Gay                          USA     09.09.82    1      Stuttgart                    10.09.2006
         19.69      +0.9    Walter Dix                         USA     31.01.86    1      Gainesville                  26.05.2007

Asafa Powell ran 2 sub 9.8 on the same day!:cool:

Yes…in Rieti…consider that among top20 on the all time italian list, 6 were done on Rieti’s track, and 4 at Mexico city…In a good day at Rieti, Usain could easily go under 9"60, you can bet on it.

9.60? or 9.70?