'Bolt can run 400m in 42flat'

Bolt can run 42 for 400m
Published: Tuesday | December 1, 2009

Anthony Foster, Gleaner Writer

Michael Johnson press Conference at the Jamaica Pegasus on Monday 30.11.2009. - Ricardo Makyn/Staff Photographer.

American track & field legend, Michael Johnson, believes Usain Bolt is capable of adding the 400-metre world record to his glowing list of accomplishments.

Johnson, who is in the island for a BBC documentary with Bolt, believes the world record holder for the 100 and 200 metres “is good enough to run 42 seconds but … he will have to develop his strength-and-speed endurance.”

The man who dominated the track and set world records in the 200 and 400 metres in the 90s and early 2000s, said Bolt, who ran 9.58 and 19.19 seconds for the 100 and 200 metres world records, has the potential to add the 400m to his name.

And if he does, Johnson, who holds the mark at 43.18 seconds, said: “Nobody is ever going to hold the world record at 100, 200 and 400 metres again if he (Bolt) does it.”

Training significant

According to Johnson though, the 400m record is more difficult to break than the 100 and 200 marks.

“The training is going to be much more significant for the 400m than the 100 and 200 metres,” said Johnson.

“That natural ability and gift that he has, has helped him to be great at 100 and 200 metres, but at 400m that gift is still there and is still important. But the longer the distance, the less it becomes,” he added. “Training, endurance and most important speed-endurance becomes a more important factor.”

As to how faster Bolt can run in the 100 and 200 metres, Johnson, king of the track in his time, said: “I don’t know, I don’t think anyone knows, not even Usain knows. But most people would agree that he can run faster, but how much faster, no one knows.”

Flaws

Track and field legend, Michael Johnson of the United States, gesticulates while addressing the media during a press conference at the Pegasus hotel in Kingston yesterday. - Ricardo Makyn/Staff Photographer.

Johnson also identified a few flaws which, he says, when fixed, things are going to be much better for track and field superstar, Bolt.

"The main thing I see is his technique. I think his technique can be improved, so when you think about that, and when you think about his technique at this point, that it has gotten better but is still not perfect, the fact that he is so young and he still has a lot more races that he can run and learn about the race, I think it just means there is no limit as to what he can do.

"His upper body, his arm movements, arm motion, is not as clean as athletes you compare him to. Some of the athletes in the past, these are the things when you are young you are going to learn as you continue to grow, and I think that speaks volumes for what his potential is and the fact that he can continue to go faster," he said, noting that such flaws are common in athletes 21 to 23 years old.

As for “improper” upper-arm and body action, Michael would know right? The one thing he has in common with Bolt is folding the elbow during frontside movement. Easy to be critical MJ but did you try to correct that in your own action while you were competing… bet not. Maybe because there’s nothing so bad about it if it helps keep everything else relaxed…

According to Johnson though, the 400m record is more difficult to break than the 100 and 200 marks.

Johnson would say that wouldn’t he!

why does he talk soooo much trash…technique=m.johnson:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: amazing! how can he give advice on technique when he knows that if it flies right then just keave it

carl talked alot of trash but micheal is consistant…consistantly bad!

Two things to mention here;

1] After watching the final in Beijing MJ has stated (during his “chat” with Collin Jackson in the commentary box) - “…Bolt has found perfection.”, while talking about Bolt’s technique. So, I really do not know what is he on about?

2] He knows that 19.32 in the 200m was harder to break than 43.18. He has lost one record (his precious one), and now is making a big deal about the 400m record.

In addition, and it is my opinion only, MJ has been trying to insert himself (in a similar way as he did with Jeremy) between Bolt and Mills. Little he knows that this bond is much tighter than the Hart-Wariner bond. If he was to achieve this “his” project 400 would be marketed around the globe and MJ would love to get the credit for it. He is in a desperate search of an athlete of the highest calibre that would elevate him through the sprint coaching ranks, and preferably as fast as one runs 100m.

Pretty f… obvious!

When is he going to back off and shut up?

My suggestion is …find a young and talented athlete that has not been coached yet. Develop him to the most elite level, and then help him break the records. If you achieve that, I will take my hat off to you, Mr. MJ. Otherwise, it (your practice) is known as poaching. :slight_smile: