Bobsled

Any thoughts on tempo running?

Nice steal from a 5 year old Thibadeau article.
Don’t you have anything fucking better to do than troll Cf.com? Like maybe shoot yourself in the head?

Read my post retard, I mention CAD in my first post.

Train like a sprinter. Get your body weight between 95 and 115kg - depending on your height. Keep it simple.

Would you mod the ext tempo volume?

Ascending / Descending is nice, but I wouldn’t opt for the circuit version of it. This is just a comment, I am not referring to a specific post…

I agree 100%, I done both and I like the old school verison much better. The only plus to the circuit verison is the athlete is fresher for the exercises towards the end vs performing 3-4 sets of 3-4 different exercises before getting to the clean or squat.

Talking with a buddy on here who knows how the world push champ trains. Low volume accels one day, low volume resisted accels another day, maybe some fly run and top speed work. Simple. Weights simple - linear hypertrophy, strength, power. Low intensity days very easy with just warming up and maybe some assistance bodybuilding type work.

When say power, which one is it:

A: 5x2x50-65%
B: 3x2x90-95%

I agree with your post… It would be a mod sprinter workout…

If memory serves me correct heavy complexed with jumps/hops. Makes sense since the sport is essentially resisted running.

I’ll be more interested in seeing how the training progressed throughout the training year gpp etc. No problem with the bb work but I feel the need for low volume tempo work, our big guys are doing 1080yds of tempo twice a week - skill 2000yds.

I know it was simple, progressive training and the coach of the best USA guys is not a big pusher of low intensity work. I imagine most of them do extra bb stuff and warmup and that’s it. They don’t need much conditioning or work capacity for their sport since they only run 30m three times or so each comp, at least that’s my understanding.

In my personal training I have dropped all tempo running, though will do one day of skips and buildups (ala Pfaff) and some circuits one day per week, coupled with one accel day, one speed dev day, and one speed end day. I have pr’d on power clean two cycles in a row and it looks like I have pr’d in accel but I don’t have exact times from the same timing methods.

I hear what your saying. I don’t have a issue with ext tempo for any sport but how much is needed? I still believe bobsledders could benefit from 1000-1500yds once a week and another day of circuits etc. Are you still training under Mike?

Yeah. I do rollover style so 4 days per week whenever I can get them in with the goal being get all 4 days in over 7-9 days. May do 2 days in a row or every other day depends on schedule or how I’m feeling I just make sure the order is kept.

Kool, goodluck with your training.

You may want to check Ian Danney, I think he does two speed days with his guys.

Mon/Thur: hills/sled+lower wts
Tue/Fri: upper wts
Wed: mb throws and work
Sat: games

I would as SE requirements are minimal if any,and can be considered only if a supportive mean to develop overall speed is needed,I would also use tempo only in a strict CFTS plan,and never as a training mean per se,or avulse from such a plan.

This is supposed to be compensated by switching the nature of the sessions within the week, but I see what you mean. I am sure there is a place for either version in an athlete’s plan.

Don’t matter still a major difference, my workout quality was much better with the circuits.

LR400 has given a good overview of what was done at the OTC in Lake Placid. Jason Hartman did a great job and his athletes produced some of, if not the best, pushes on the World Cup tour.

Jon Carlock is the head of the OTC in Colorado Springs and from my perspective the training looks very much like programs from Mike Stone with regard to the lifting portion.

The training I’ve seen from foreign countries is similar to what we do here, everyone lifts heavy (OL’s and squats) and does quality acceleration work along with shot throws and plyos. It’s typical for a World Cup brakeman to squat over 250k, clean above 160k and run sub 3.6 in the 30m w/1m fly–all at a bodyweight of 215-260 (Kevin Kuske and Alexey Voevoda).