Beard to run Daegu 400

Euclid’s Jessica Beard will race 400 at world track championships

August 16, 2011, 7:40 PM

By Tim Warsinskey, The Plain Dealer The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND, Ohio – Euclid’s Jessica Beard will run the 400 meters at the World Championships this month following a foot injury to U.S. teammate Debbie Dunn. The meet begins Aug. 27 in Deagu, South Korea.

“I’m excited,” Beard said in a phone interview from College Station, Texas. “Debbie called me a few days ago to tell me, and I wasn’t allowed to say anything. I really respect her for that. This is a dream. I’m getting an opportunity to do what I love to do.”

U.S. Track and Field announced Monday that Dunn, 33, suffered a stress fracture in her foot and named Beard to replace her. Dunn placed third at the U.S. Championships in June, and Beard was fourth. Beard, 22, already was headed to South Korea as a member of the 4x400 relay pool, and the injury increases the likelihood that she will run in the final. Beard earned a World gold medal as part of the 2009 relay, but did not run in the final.

Beard said her goal is to establish a new personal 400 record. She ran her current best, 50.56, in 2009.

“If I do that, I can make the finals,” she said.

Also, Beard led fan voting for the Bowerman Award by 2,000 votes Tuesday, the final day of voting. The Bowerman is given to the top female and male college track athlete.

Within the last two years of Beard’s collegiate career she will have participated in the same number of major world competitions. Will certainly benefit with London and Moscow on the horizon and having concluded her A&M responsibilities.