Barnett doubles up at Canadian Championships (but can't run at Berlin?)

TORONTO – Bryan Barnett has never received any advice from the legends of Canadian sprinting. They are his friends, though, in a matter of speaking.

“I have Bruny Surin and Donovan Bailey on Facebook, actually,” Barnett said sheepishly on Sunday.

Perhaps now he has earned a sit-down. The 22-year-old Edmonton native won the 100 and 200 metre races this weekend at the Canadian Track and Field Championships at the Varsity Centre, becoming the first sprinter since Nicolas Macrozonaris in 2003 to win both events.

The 2006 world junior silver medalist in the 200 won the 100 metres in 10.28 seconds on Saturday. But Sunday’s triumph in the 200 metres was likely the more satisfying win, as it was something of a surprise.

Barnett edged Charlottetown’s Jared Connaughton, who finished 14th in the Olympics last summer. Barnett clocked in at 20.71 seconds, .07 seconds ahead of Connaughton.

“That was my goal at the beginning of the year, to run the [100 and 200] here and win them both,” Barnett said. “I came and did it. I’m pretty happy with myself.”

Still, neither of his times was good enough to meet the qualifying standards for the world championships, which go in mid-August in Berlin, although by virtue of being on the 100-metre relay team, he will be able to race.

And that team, which will feature Barnett, Connaughton, and likely Toronto’s Anson Henry and Montreal’s Hank Palmer, might be one of Canada’s better chances for a medal at the event.

“I say that even this year if we all bring our best in Berlin, there’s no reason why we don’t medal,” Barnett said. “Some of the past teams that have medalled, a come-third kind of thing. They were some guys running 10.1 and a bunch of 10.3 guys. It’s all about the handoffs. We have the leg speed already. It’s just about getting those handoffs bang-on during the day.”

It could be quite the humble Canadian contingent, however, in Berlin. Only hurdlers Perdita Felicien and Priscilla Lopes-Schliep, who finished first and second, respectively, in the 100-metre hurdles race on Saturday, and shot putter Dylan Armstrong and hammer thrower Sultana Frizell have reached the standards needed to qualify for the event.

Additionally, the men’s 4×100-metre relay team and the women’s 4×400-metre relay team have qualified. Rob Watson, who runs the steeplechase, could qualify through the Rising Star program.

However, athletes have until July 24 to reach the standards, with several meets slated to go in Europe over the next few weeks.

But the combination of relatively weak competition and rainy conditions yesterday made this weekend disadvantageous for those looking to earn their spots in Berlin.

“It’s frustrating. I guess maybe on the day it’s disappointing,” Canadian head coach Alex Gardiner said. “Wind in your face in the 100, that’s going to happen all the time. We would expect athletes at this level to have made their marks already before they come into nationals, although this is another opportunity.”

Isnt 10.28 the B standard?

Is he the one on peak when it counts?Still working with Number 2??

not the same guy and I’m not sure what he’s doing. The meet was a complete shambles by all reports.

what do you mean complete shambles.
sorry lol

My athlete ended up retiring. He was tired of going to Canadian meets and running into headwinds for every 100m race, particularly in cold weather. Very tough to be a top 100m guy when training in Canada with no indoor track and distance people running the meets.

At least he was fortunate enough to win a bronze medal at the 2006 Commonwealth Games in the 4x100m. I think the previous medal was at the 1997 WC for Canada. Not sure when the next one will come.

Aside from the 4mps headwinds you mean? Or the U of T guys sending security guards around to keep coaches from their athletes before their races? Or telling the men there’ll be 3 semis of 8 in the 100m and then changing their minds the next day, throwing out 8 athletes who took them at their word and qualified accordingly? Or that only 4 athletes qualified for Berlin? Or that the term “high performance” is being used in conjunction with this dog and pony show?
Bruce Kidd (U of T AD) was quoted as saying he wanted to “bring back the 1960s”.
Well, they’re back!!
Gerrard Mach dragged track and field out of the morass and into the modern era and the high results we once had were a direct result.
How pissed he must be to see what they’ve done to all his work.
I’ll give just one example:
“Father of the Children” policy. Gerrard mandated that team coaches would be selected based soley on how many athletes they put on the team and how good those athletes were. Spaces were filled from top to bottom.
Of course all the incompetents wouldn’t be selected to a snot fight as a shield, so that was the very first policy the incompetents went after and sabataged. In Beijing the team coaches actively tried to prevent personal coaches from having any contact with their own athletes!

Oh wow I just noticed that, 3 guys I knew didnt run semis, and they had 24 qualfiiers in the heats results but only 16 in the semis. wowwwwww.

But isnt the country allowed to have one athlete run if they have the B standard?