Austin Summer: less warmup, more throw-up.

Shit where have you been, I thought Canadians was suppose to know all the sprint drills? I haven’t seen a athlete perform a running B until I watched CF sprint drill download.

What about TG group?

4x100 accel with 100m walk back
a skip/b skip/a run 3x30
stretch
Workout

Have a hard time believing that’s what they did before speed sessions.

maybe they do a bunch of buildups at the start of the “workout”.

I agree with you, when you see Bolt do 10-14 x 80-100 and Mo and Asafa and Ato do similar you have to wonder.

Thanks for that! I do similar but longer distance, around 50m except for drills.

For that glute activation are you facing the fence and leaning at a 45?

No problem, and yes, facing the fence and leaning at 45 degrees.

What does your warm-up normally look like?

Normal Toronto warmup:

jog 2 laps
upper body activation (30m):
cross-arm jog
skip with arms rotating forward
lower body activation (30m):
side hops
carioca
front crossovers
butt-kickers
backward run
straight leg bound

Stretches on massage table(hold 2 secs, 5 per side):

pigeon pose
achilles stretch on bench
achilles stretch 45 degress on wall
quad stretch
hamstring stretch

Power Speed (2x20m each):
A skip
B skip
(step-one-two out to 30m)
A run
B run

Build-ups:
2x60m flats
2x60m spikes

OK, so I got Tuesday off, though later I heard that the girl I train with went out and ran 6x200m tempo. I should have got my butt out there and ran it too, I’m annoyed I didn’t!

So I’ve thought about my Colorado races, and reached some conclusions, and they weren’t necessarily based on physical preparation. I talked with a coach there who had a good female 200m athlete. He told me I should run 25 flat FAT in the 200m if I got any kind of a decent start based on seeing my crap start in the 100m that morning. I honestly didn’t believe him, even though I ran 25.1 FAT twice last year. I had a really negative attitude about myself and that carried its way into my race. There is no excuse for me to be thinking while in a race. What a waste of time! I came around the corner at 90m and was close to a guy on the curve, but didn’t fight properly to keep him in range, and part of the reason was that I was thinking negatively. When I got to 180m, I started thinking “Aww I’m running like a 26.0 here, shit” and lost some focus and didn’t fully run through the finish line. There is really no excuse to be thinking ahead or behind during a race. When I run well, I don’t think about anything and I barely remember anything, and I don’t think I’ve had a race like that all year.

Wednesday, August, 4th- Austin High School
Speed workout:
warmup
build-ups
2x30m accels
2x60m off curve
2x80m off curve

The temperature was 103F when we started this workout. The initial plan was to do 3x60m and 3x80m but Frank adjusted it on the fly based on the killer heat.

I was about 2 tenths faster on the second 80m rep even though I backed off in the last 10 metres. I should have ran through the line!

Thursday, August 5- Therapy day

I got some work done on the psoas (which were really in good shape to Frank’s surprise), and lots of work done on my calves, glutes, and hamstrings. My calves and Achilles were killing me all through the indoor season, but since I got here things have significantly improved. Frank feels that a lot of soreness and problems can be a result of bad mechanics. He’s cleaned up my accels a lot, and the tightness and soreness is 90% gone. Sounds like he’s onto something!

Apparently Ku2u#2 is coming down tomorrow for an accel workout. That should be a good time, I hope it’s less swelteringly hot! I ordered the Stockholm meet from Universal Sports. Should be interesting viewing!

T

What is 1 and 2 steps? What’s up with all the activation stuff? No dym mobility drills?

Like leg swings standing / lying down? We do them later in the season, usually coming out of GPP into SPP 1.

The lower body mobility is really quick, only takes a couple of minutes. What do you suggest adding / taking out?

WTH are>> (step-one-two out to 30m)?

It’s hard to describe, kind of like half high knee half bound with a couple of regular steps in between.

Friday, August 7th, 2010- Clark Field, UT
Speed workout:
warmup
buildups 1x10, 1x20, 1x30 flats, 1x10, 1x20, 1x30 spikes
3x30m accelerations (4 mins rest)
3x40m accelerations (5 mins rest)

2x flying 40m with 25m run-in

Weights-
Smith machine parallel squat: 1x6x225lbs, 1x5x225lbs, 1x4x225lbs
Jump squats: 3x6x20lbs dumbbells
Smith machine bench 1x6x205lbs, 1x5x205lbs, 1x4x205lbs

Explosive throws-
3x5x 12 lbs medball squat throws (vertical)

This session felt great while I was doing it. My coach took some video, so I was able to see some stills of what I was doing right. I got some high quality accelerations in. On the two 40m accelerations I was extending fully and engaging my glutes, as opposed to rushing my steps and not fully pushing through. In addition, my back / shin angles were pretty good (still far from perfect), but I wasn’t letting my shins open up too much which is my classic accel idiot move.

The flying 40’s were pretty routine- or so I thought at the time. They were on what may be a very slight downhill grade- it’s not even really “downhill”, it’s more like a 1 or 2 degree slope at Clark Field.

This workout was one of those examples of where you feel fine doing it, but the next day it hits you. I was DESTROYED on Saturday morning, my lower body was stiffer than stiff. There was a lot of soreness in the glutes, and a bit in the upper hamstrings. I was scheduled for some therapy, but my coach was out of town, and my friend from San Antonio was in town for the weekend, so I basically didn’t do much at all to get rid of the stiffness. Saturday and Sunday were basically off-days. We ate a bit too much on Sunday night at Guero’s. Their chicken tacos are the best I’ve had in a while, but I stupidly filled up on rice and beans, then went to Hey Cupcake! and totally overdid it on an overly large (but nothing some Betty Crocker cake mix couldn’t equal) vanilla frosted cupcake.

Big mistake! I was ridiculously full, and my stomach was still bugging me all the next day and into Tuesday. We had eaten pretty well all weekend too, but I lost it Sunday night and kind of screwed myself over. I really need to work on controlling my impulses when it comes to food. It’s a struggle.

Apparently overeating jacks your metabolism up similar to training so you probably didn’t do any damage. At least that is my weekly excuse. I think I read where nightmare4d on here said that.

Really?? That’s the best news I’ve heard all day!

I do eat things that are totally not in line with my longer term goals (you know, like losing 5 pounds of fat). Usually if I’m organized in advance I can stick to my daily eating plan, but if I’m running around like an idiot just picking random things to eat, it’s curtains. I’ll pick stupid bad stuff nearly every time.

Monday, August 9th- Austin High School
Speed Endurance workout:
warmup
build-ups 1x10, 1x20, 1x30 flats, 1x10, 1x20, 1x30 spikes
2x30m accelerations

2x240m split runs-

2x2x120m +30 seconds walk break, 120m @95%
10 mins rest between sets

First set-
On the first 120m rep, I came through the last 100m at about 12.75, and on the second 120m rep came through at 13.00 through the flying 100m zone. The second rep sucked because I didn’t get set in the accel zone and push off properly, I kind of just jogged up to speed.

Second set-
This set I went quicker, I came through the first 100m zone in 12.24, on the second rep I came through in 12.77, but it would have been a much more even split if the football kids and coach didn’t decide to randomly start crossing the track without looking. I was shouting “Track! Track! Track!” for the last 50m of the second 120m. Afterward, the idiot football coach was like, “You know this is OUR school, and you don’t have to yell like that!” OK, next time I’ll just run your ass over! Don’t these clowns have a track team?

This was a pretty good workout overall. I’m running at a low-key hand timed meet this Friday, so this was just a bit of over-distance work and not overly quick to keep me sharp. Hopefully it wasn’t too close in, but even if so, it’s cool.

Tuesday, August 10th- Therapy day
Frank went deep into my IT band and where it connects to the knee and hip. This stuff HURTS A LOT! He also went into the gastroc where it meets the achilles and my always tight soleus muscles. This was by far the most painful therapy day so far, but I felt less restricted afterward. No tempo today. I’m really slacking on the tempo lately! I’m for sure getting out on Saturday to bust my ass with a decent tempo workout.

Wednesday, August 11th- Austin High School
Speed workout:
warmup
buildups- 1x10, 1x20, 1x30 flats, 1x10, 1x20, 1x30 spikes
5x20m accels
3x20m flying with 20m run-in

This was pretty easy workout overall, as I was to run in a meet on Friday, August 13th, so there wasn’t much volume or distance involved.

This was the day that Ku2u#2 came down and worked out, so it was cool to watch what he’s running like. He wanted to be at 7.00 in the 60m, and he ran around 7.05, so he is totally on target I think. If he does a nice 7 to 10 day taper, gets the therapy as needed, he will be flying and totally go under 7.00 on his tryout day. I don’t think he was too thrilled with his 150m time, but reading his journal it’s pretty clear he’s been focusing on accelerations, so that’s no big deal.

We had an enormous rain delay today, which was kind of a good thing. Everyone was soaked, and once the lightning came out, it was time to pack it in and go eat some lunch at Magnolia Cafe, which gave us a chance to chat. Kyle is really knowledgeable about how to put a program together and seems to have excellent street smarts for what’s good and what’s fluff, and he’s only 19. He’s going to make an amazing coach someday when he’s done running!

Basically, we had just warmed up when the rain hit, so we came out about an hour later, warmed up again, and got the work in. I felt quite flat in the accels and the 20 fly’s, but it may have been a result of the deep tissue work Frank did on Tuesday. He really got in there, and I probably hadn’t bounced back yet.

Overall, this was a really fun day. Kyle is coming down on Monday again, so that should be cool.

How were the runs timed???

Thanks man, it was great seeing your training and progression with Frank. I heard you ran a 150m in 17.59 in your training the other day, looks like the special endurance sessions are paying off! I’ll be down early tomorrow probably, going to get some light thearpy for the workout, eat lunch and let digest, then get the workout started.

RB34, the times were handtimed by the Coach.

Don’t you think you 6.90 ht to hit ur goals?