Asthma & Track

Originally posted by dangermouse
have you tried the Buteyko method?

Anyone who has asthma at least try this out, it helps me in my opinion. From what I have heard and seen I think it is basically breathing through the nose (to take advantage of the body’s natural filter so i’ve heard) and relaxation techniqes. Of course if this was widely known the drug companies would lose a lot of money wouldn’t they. :baddevil:: Yes I am a cynic I know.

Vito, a corticosteroid has the opposite effect of an anabolic steroid in that it catabolizes muscle tissue, rather than rebuilds it. Corticosteroids also leech calcium from the bones. If absolutely necessary, they should be taken for very short periods of time and cycled off to prevent them from building up in the system. Kids that take inhaled corticosteroids to control their asthma are generally shorter, lighter and weaker than their peers. Most doctors will tell you that side effects only happen in high doses, but this is not true. In low regular doses, they build up in the system and have a deleterious effect on the body.
Another side effect of corticosteroids is that they lower your immunity, making you more likely to catch colds, flu etc.
Once you come off the corticosteroids, your bone density and muscle mass will gradually return, but once your growth has been stunted, there is nothing that can be done to make you grow taller.

I forgot about one other side effect of inhaled corticosteroids - they suppress the hypothalamic pituitary adrenal axis (HPA axis). This means that less growth hormone is being secreted. Disruption of the HPA axis also has a powerful adverse effect on the mind. A suppressed HPA axis can make one signicantly depressed and even suicidal. There is a new ‘suicide test’ now available which determines the state of the HPA axis. People with a suppressed HPA axis are considered more likely to take their own lives.
You can do further research on the side effects of inhaled corticosteroids on Medscape/Medline. Please try all other means of controlling your asthma before taking these ‘death drugs’.

well neospeed what do you think about taking coral calcium with corticosteroids. do you think this would work well enough to prevent the robbing of the calcium deposits. i was also wondering if you could give me a link of this information, if you weren’t busy because i couldn’t find much.

im getting off this stuff soon because i have borderline athletic induced asthma, and there are 300 lb guys with severe asthma taking the same dose of advair. i am going to try some other methods because the side effects are worst then what it is correcting. what are some good inhalers, i was just thinking of those ones that you need when you are winded.
thanks

I have asthma and allergies also. Try the Zone diet, it seems to help me, and increase my energy levels.