Asafa Powell Unplaced In Sprint

To compete indoors is usually a challenge to the athletes. Their GPP is usually 3-4 months long, so indoors begins during the GPP. The program is not changed to accomodate the indoor competitions, but they are allowed to run if they choose. This year there is no WIC, so the decision has been made to skip the indoo season and compete more the local Jamaican meets. The athletes are not at their best during indoors and find it hard to accept being beaten by persons who they normally beat.

very smart but im wondering why athletes like asafa powell would need 4month of GPP? from what i know is elite athletes (9.87 100m) dont really spend too much on their GPP.

also did ben ever do any 400s to start off his season? wonder wat his pb at this distance would be?

Ben ran a 400 once at 17 indoor in 50.0 cause he was late for the 60! (He was on-time after that!) No, he never did another and he prepared short-to-long during all his best years.
His best 300 in training was 32.2 from a stand in 1981. All his really fast training was 200m and below.

Please could you provide results for that race and exact wind reading and date, that race need to be added on the statistic lists.

dropping 300s in training -don’t remember the year- after Ben’s “request” (Speed Trap), was it a choice that allowed his shorter distance times to improve even more? Was the elimination of 300s something that would happen anyway later on (i.e., decreased requirement of Sp. End at his level and for the last part of 100m)?

Thanks!

This is a highly individual consideration and doesn’t necessarily work towards intensifying all shorter runs in all cases. As you know a 300 is harder from a muscular system standpoint but easier on the nervous system. for some people, the contrast between the 300s and the shorter work may be helpful. for Ben, the contrast was the occasional foray out to 200m.

yes, i was referring specifically to Ben and it obviously worked for HIM, as there were others -can’t remember name- in the group that preferred 300s
an individual thing, i suppose, that can be clarified only if you try it…
thanks!

Please see my comments in the Long Term Planning thread in the Planning and Periodization section.