Asafa Powell to Compete in 2012 Indoor Season

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya7bbf-G1q0&feature=player_embedded

Cool, thats exciting

I wouldn,t mind seeing powell in the manchester 150m straight in may. I could see him tearin up to a 14.4x maybe 14.3x!

Making major changes during an Olympic year? Doesn’t sound too smart but hey, Powell choked out to 5th in 2004 and 2008 so I guess they figure there isn’t much to lose. Regardless, I predict injury sometime before London.

Yes not necessarily the thing done in an Olympic year (i.e. a completely different approach) however, maybe this is the way for Asafa rather than running a number of pointless 400m races in technical positions that are cringe worthy…the idea of going from speed to even faster speed rather than slow to fast may actually work in his favour and reduce the likelihood of injury. Furthermore, a few confidence booster performances and possibly even an individual world title over 60 leading into the Jamaican trials may actually give him the confidence he needs to get that medal at the world champs that one could argue he probably deserves.

Does this imply a change in training philosophy for MVP, or is Asafa simple going to do a few indoor meets (opposed to going to Australia)?

Franno’s philosophy has been that they don’t emphasize indoors and don’t peak or change training for them. If they stick with the same training style (IT overdistance + hills/sleds until January), then the types of 60m split times we’ve seen from Asafa outdoors don’t seem likely indoors. From what Asafa says, it appears that they’re just doing something different because his training is going well, but not really a change in training style.

I know that Glen Mills has said for this year with Bolt (and Blake?) they’re going to “get fast early” as he said they did in 2008 and 2009. Competing indoors is maybe another way of accomplishing this.

I always wanted to see him run indoor. I wonder if he can break the record. Plus he needs all the speed work he can get with bolt and Blake.

Can anyone think of any top sprinters (the likes of lewis, christie, greene, bailey …) who improved as a result of an indoor season ? I cant.

Ben johnson, maurice greene to name a few

The good old bloke himself KIM COLLINS started this year off indoors and arguably had his best season (most consistent fastest) since his 2003 world title. I am actually looking forward to see if he can break his PB next season and go low 9.9s which should (could) get him into the Olympic final.

Kim ran 6.50 twice indoors last season, if I’m not mistaken! Studdddd!