Asafa: I'm going to win WCh

England (AP):

Asafa Powell overcame a tentative start to win the 100 metres in 9.91 seconds at the Aviva Grand Prix Diamond League meet yesterday, adding to his confidence going into the World Championships next month.

He was delayed by a false start and then a faulty start before striding to victory ahead of fellow Jamaicans Nesta Carter and Michael Frater.

The 28-year-old Powell said in the buildup to the meet that he felt like the “man to beat”.

Though fellow Jamaican Usain Bolt is the world champion and world-record holder, Powell is the quickest man this year after running 9.78 in Lausanne 10 days ago.

“I was only going to do enough to win today,” Powell said. “I didn’t want to push too hard. I just wanted to get the win. At the Worlds I’m definitely going to win. I’m going for it and I’ll try not to disappoint.”

Powell has set his sights on dethroning Bolt at the Worlds in Daegu, South Korea, beginning August 27.

After a 9.95 in the heats, his 70th sub-10-second run, Powell was expected to better that in the final - especially as the earlier rain had cleared up and gave way to slightly improved conditions. But after Jaysuma Saidy Ndure of Norway false started and was disqualified, there was then another abandoned start before Powell could finally get going.

“I was a bit cautious in the final with all the false starts and it was cold out there, so I didn’t push it from the start,” Powell said. “But it was OK. I’m fine with that. We all want to get the best start, but when there’s false starts it puts you in a different zone.”

In the women’s 100 hurdles, Sally Pearson followed up a season’s best run in the heats with an Australian record of 12.48 to win the final.

The 24-year-old Commonwealth champion and Olympic silver medallist posted the quickest time in the world this year, leading from first to last hurdle and holding off Danielle Carruthers of the United States, who finished in 12.52. Fellow American Virginia Crawford was third.

“I knew I was in that sort of shape today,” Pearson said. “I’ve come to Europe to get ready for the World Championships and I’ve had fantastic preparation. … I’ve always wanted to be the best in the world and I’m heading in that direction.”

The United States finished 1-2-3 in the women’s 200 with Bianca Knight beating Marshevet Myers in a photo finish. Both clocked 22.59 seconds. Carmelita Jeter, the world leader over 100, settled for third.

The women’s 400 was dominated by Amantle Montsho of Botswana, who extended her Diamond League lead over Allyson Felix with her fourth win in the series.

The 28-year-old Commonwealth champion was still pulling away from her flagging rivals as she crossed the line in 50.20, ahead of Jamaicans Rosemarie Whyte and Novlene Williams-Mills.

Reigning world champion Blanka Vlasic of Croatia held off Anna Chicherova of Russia to win the high jump. Both cleared six feet, six inches, but Vlasic needed fewer jumps.

In the men’s 400 hurdles, Dai Greene held off 2005 world champion Bershawn Jackson in the home straight to win in a season’s best of 48.20 seconds.

I suspect what Asafa said if that he is going to the world championships with the intention of winning rather than finishing an honourabvle second or third. He’s going with a positive frame of mind.

I’m really not sure he would have made a boast of winning “for certain” when he knows his good mate Bolt is still the raging hot favourite. If I was a betting man I would still put my money on Bolt after seeing him burn the opening 100m of that 200m he ran recently

I agree…theres no way that he would make such an outlandish statement based on past Championships. The sad thing is all the others know that he is suspect in finals and will be looking to take full advantage of that. I know I would! I’ve heard many a story from past Olympians and WC’s about the mind games they played on the weaker opponents.

he should do his talking on the track…its unnescessary pressure hes putting on himself!

So what would be an acceptable performance if he does end up second to Bolt? Like if Bolt runs a 9.6x or 9.70 and Asafa pulls off a low 9.7 does that still mean he didn’t perform on the day? Or since no one as of yet has run an off the wall time this year (since 9.78 is no longer off the wall :p) is simply beating Bolt considered acceptable? Say Bolt runs a 9.87 and Asafa runs 9.85 is that still a good thing?

I guess I’m curious what you folks give more weight, a world leading time or a world beating final placement?

For championship meets only the win matters. They don’t print your mark/time on the medal. Just ask Kim Collins.