Applied Nutrition for Mixed Sports

No offense but bodybuilding isnt running or lifting to get strong. So lean is part of the event but has nothing to do with sport other than bodybuilding.
Mauro is one of the best when I comes to this sort of thing, he has the diet, the training and the background as one of the top MD’s out there for elite everything. Plus he did it himself. Check out his sites. He worked with me from September till December before the Olympics trials and I am about as hard core as they come and I didnt have the energy to properly train on his diet. Finally Charlie said forget it. What is the point.
If I want to look good I can do it with Mauros help for sure.
If I want to run fast I will get Charlie’s help and look good anyway.
you can’t look good and hope to run fast.
In high level athletics performance first and aesthetics second.
Maybe I am missing the point.

that is exactly what this round about thread has been about. I essentially said the same thing. No offense, but bodybuilders are not athletes. I just took up competing so I wouldn’t turn into a fat ex football player. Some took up track or other activities so as not to sit around. Unless you are a super lean genetic mutant, getting too lean hurts performance. I agree with you Ange. WHen I diet super hard, I fell like crap. Like I said, that’s on north of 3000 calories per day. If I altered my macro nutrients, I woul never get as lean, but I would have energy. It’s a catch 22 for most of us.

speedcoach, maybe I misunderstood, but you were consuming 3000 calories per day during a lean out phase?

speedcoach is a big dude! no joke :smiley:

somewhere there abouts. I was eating roughly 4500 per day trying to get mass up and I think I peaked out the one year at 280 lbs. I am 5’9" so I guess I was kinda big. I hated eating that much. If I cut calories to like 3000, I could lose 25 lbs in like 5-6 weeks without doing anything different. Now metabolism is not what it used to be. Fatter than I am comfortable with right now. Skipping too many meals and replacing them with protein bars and such. Guess I picked up my wifes baby weight. Haha

I 2nd that emotion!

Thanks for the response.

I guess I was the one who brought bodybuilding into this because I was trying to use that as an example of how much more difficult it becomes to reach the very lowest levels of bodyfat.

So so true. I have said many times, I used to be a great athlete til I got into bodybuilding. It took away a lot of athleticism. Ange, you always look good and move like a cat. I remember you demonstrating starts in Toronto with Ian and Charlie and was blown away. You’re physique was a product of the training to get fast, leaness was a consequence, in bodybuilding, it’s get lean at all costs. That was my point ot Race radio. Peformance is #1, #2, #3, etc. Looking great is number #20.

a few years ago Sports Illustrated had a pictorial article showing the bodies of a range of elite athletes which was interesting, most were in no way reflective of being geared towards BBing .

John, how true. I remember we had a feww guys who looked lik they could knock down a wall and they were crappy football players. During college football when I played in the late 80’s early 90’s, it was a lot of do your own thing. Most training was geared toward hypertrophy with little consideration into power. I used to do a lot of squat, bench , and deadlifts. I think because my biceps were 20+ and my forearms were big, I had crappy clean form. Reduced rotation at elbow and wrist. Can’t do a clean catch due to actual physical muscle not allowing me to. I wanted to be great at them, but I just stuck to deadlifts. The body beautiful guys ussually didn’t do much. 2 of our best players were weak as kittens, but absolutely sick WR and RB. Didn’t look like killers, but played like it.

I was taking to a lad I coach today. He goes to the gym and does a program in 20 minutes, he is is swetting heavily in his upper body. He said he looks at what the others are doing and then asked me what’s their point. He weighs 66kg, average height for a 20yr white guy, can bench 30x50kg in 50 seconds, the same for the next 4 exercises.

I class the program we use as body building. A 56 year old body building mate came up with it, I am targetting muscle groups.

What other class would it come under?

The work is high metabolic and probably mostly endurance work. My speed and power athletes rarely go over 10 reps and down to 531 in intensification phases. I am sure he is fit, but he will have a hard time increasing power with the rep and loading scheme he is following.

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/setsandreps.html

nice link. Should cut through the fog of the internet. Very concise.

3 sets of 10reps with 10s recovery. I have previously used the more conventional weights programming, I can’t help but like what we are currently doing. His strength level are on par with others his age/size. He can bench his own bodyweight, I keep forgetting to add the weight of the bar.

Looking at what John posted I am doing Hypertrophy on select muscle groups which in other words is bodybuilding, we just don’t train all the muscles only those used to sprint.

I like the comment on another post by RB34, “A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life.”

Ian King once told me the difference between me now and 10 years from now will be the people I meet and the books I read.

My grandfather told me to believe nothing I hear, half of what I see and read only cowboy books.

The track and field season doesn’t start over here for a while.

Set a base then work from there, hypertrophy is how I set the base with weights. In one of the Bomka periodisation books he says that the ultimate training level is when the athlete has heavy sweat on the upper body. Our next progression is 3x8+6.

The now deceased Roger Green suggested I work out the tonnage of each session and progress from there. Currently 6,270kg plus the bar in a 20 minute session, 2 sessions a week. Sound a bit high?

Not if he handles it without decrease in performance or recovery. It sounds a lot like escalating density. More work in the same time limit. I am curious to see your results. There are many roads that lead to Rome. The great thing is you have chosen a road. Too many coaches waver on the latest trend, always changing, never following through. Dave Tate said, “you need a philosophy”. Hope season goes well for you.

Thank’s,
I have been coaching the kid for 5/6 years, School always had priority, now he is in uni he is ready to find out how fast he can run. He may be running high 11s, guess we will find out soon enough. I will post a pic of a sled run in the analise this thread.

Im am curious if an athlete who could lift better than 1 and 1/2 their body weight 1rm,

could at equal bodyweight - benchpress - 3 x 10, 8 secs, 8 secs, movement shy of full extension