A new beginning.

Sat 22 Oct: Fitness

No training partner for OLs, gym closed too early, so started gpp today.

Med ball throws end to end of field (jog one way walk back) Throw from chest, rugby pass throw, underhand squat throw, football throw (8 lengths)
Tempo runs 10x100m 50-54 strides
Med ball circuit (with wall)
chest pass x 50
side throws x 25 each side
seated roll back throws x 20
seated chest pass x 20
straight leg toe touch x 10
passes around body x 20
circles around body x 20

stopped there, abs were tired, will do a full circuit tomorrow.

tempo 1000m
field medball 800m
med ball circuit 190 reps

I think I went too hard with the med ball throws… got a pain again around my right ribs. I will have to take it easier with them next time and build up very slowly. Getting quite annoying now, it would be nice to be able to train normally, forget what that feels like. I can still do tempo runs, rows and swimming until it feels better.

Lol I’m not in a good way… I couldn’t squat today as there was pain in my groin, will have to take it easier when I finally start again. Did some deadlifts instead. Good news is that there is no pain in intercostal. Restart full lifts when groin is not hurting.

Wed 26th Oct: Pulls & Deads

Tuck jumps: 4x5
Snatch Pull (1 full, 3 from hang) 100,100,100,115,115,115,125,125,125
Deadlift (fast): 4x5x140
Hypers: 15x5, 2x10x10
DB pullover: 3x20x10 (attempt to sort out intercostal)

No tempo runs until groin is better… very easy on the rotational and soccer style med ball throws when I can do them. Upper body lifting starting next week. Bought some swimming trunks and goggles today, will substitute swimming and rowing instead of tempo runs for now.

Thurs 27th Oct: Swimming

Very unsatifying workout - I went at the wrong time and the pool was packed as there was a swimming club using the lanes. It was just too busy once they started so I cut my session short after 10 lengths, mainly backstroke. If I could do breaststroke I could have dodged people but couldn’t do it because of my groin. Next time I will go in the morning when it will hopefully be quieter.

I discovered I am awful at freestyle, especially at getting the breathing right, and I’m much slower in this stroke than the breaststroke!

My intercostal is not hurting now, just have to wait for my adductor to heal up, it’s only mild pain so shouldn’t take too long. My lower back is fried though, and there is a deadlifting competition on Sunday which I don’t really want to do, but my OL coach has nagged us to do. Hopefully it will be recovered by then… Will do medicine ball and ab circuit tonight.

Lazy weekend, no workouts, no deadlift comp, back was not 100%. Time to get my ass in gear. Groin not 100% but better. Intercostal back to normal.

Mon 31 Oct: OL based

Snatch: 5x1x70, 5x1-2x75, 5x1x80 (1 fail), 2x1x85 (both fail)
Power Clean and Power Jerk: 105, 110, 115 (pr for both lifts)
Clean & Power Jerk: 120 (fail jerk)
SLDL: 5x5-6x115-120
Bench: 7,8,4x80

I’m going to keep SLDL in the program, as hypers and squats don’t seem to be stimulating my hams enough. I will dump back squats for a while and do front squats instead, when my groin is good to go. This should be a good combination, hopefully minimising CNS fatigue that may result from the biggest exercises - back squats and regular deadlifts.

What you said about the combo of back squats and deads is very true–doing both regularly will really rough up even the best. I think the SLDL and front squats will be sufficient for you, for a while at least. For a long time, I ditched the back squats and focused on regular heavy deadlifts and it really paid off. I followed Pave Tsatsouline’s Power to the People program and it worked wonders for my overall strength. I was up to a 425 lbs. deadlift when I stopped and I did not gain any bodyweight.

Looks like you have a good set up though. When I was competing in olympic lifting, I did heavy back squats and RDL’s, among all the other moves that we do. Congrats on the pr’s! Are we talking kg’s or lbs?

Thanks, kgs of course! I’m pleased with the power jerk because it was caught with almost straight legs - I don’t have the technique or stability for a low catch a la dimas or the other pros.

I have spoken to a lifter/coach that used to post a lot here (DW), he recommends only front squats, no back, because of the high cns demand. Regular deadlifts are known for that too, as you know. As I feel my hamstrings are lagging, I’ve added SLDL. Will see if back squat improves through these exercises, if it starts lagging I’ll do a short cycle for it later on.

I’m getting tired of the blisters (3 new ones last night) and minor injuries, really enjoy training hard. Worst part is I’ve put on a few kgs not being able to train properly and eating well, although my waist hasn’t really got bigger. Groin is not hurting today though, hopefully I can have a clear run until xmas!

Having a layoff until I get my groin sorted out, will go to the doctor to see if anything can be done.

Finally went to the gym for some upper body stuff, not great lifting

Tues 15th Nov

Bench: 2x10x80
DB row: 10,8/10x30
MP: 10,6x50
Lat PD: 10,7x68

Weight: 110kg! :smiley: , been eating a lot of bad stuff lately.

Please let us know what the doc says about the groin and if anything can be done about it, other than resting it.