A legend spoke - Arthur Lydiard

Yes! That’s why you need to time them to see what’s really going on.

Well, the language ( english ) is my first barrier,
let me know if i´m wrong on this;
I have 3 ( or 4 ) sets because,
in my first set of 4 reps, i´m not trying to be faster as i can, i´m starting a work, so, i need this 1st set to set up my speed ( my pace ) for that day, then, when i start the 2nd set, there is the time where i can get up, being really fast, then at 3rd set, i must maintain the form and speed that i took from the 1st and 2nd sets, am right ?

You should be fully warmed up and ready to go at the set pace of the workout from the beginning of set one.

sorry to bother you guys, I want to post a question about long jumping but I don’t know how, this is my first time on here, can you please help?

Huuummm warm-ups… it´s very clear in my mind :wink:
i´m following the warmup “routine” described in GPP DVD and i must confess,
my track works are now performed with more consistency and safety.
I can get relaxed runs easily with a proper warm up.
Actually, i taking about 40 minutes to 1 hour of warm-up,
in my past, i was doing about 30 minutes but 1/2 of this was stretching exercises :o

Can anybody help here? (I just post answers to existing threads and just realized I don’t know how to start one either!)

LOL…thanks anyways…I will try and find the thread on jumping!

1st you have to know where for here you could ask or talk about what u want.
So,
as Jump is not sprint specific
i guess you could start your thread on
Advanced Discussion then the Topic Other Sports
since you follow this steps above,
you have to find the Button “newthread”…look the example…
Well, i hope i help you.

There is a little known,well written book about this Swim Coach from New Zealand’s quite unique and successful attempt to use Arthur Lydiard’s training approach in Swimming.

It contains some interesting points which might suggest a vertically integrated management of some components,as well as some other points clearly proposing a more classical periodization approach.

Swim to the Top: Arthur Lydiard Takes to the Water

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1841260835/ref%3Dnosim/growinglifestyle/002-8673251-0621632

understood! and by the speed work for endurance runners you mean the one corresponding to current capacity/level, eventually to reach racing speed?
i’ve asked you before about the fast-slow approach to endurance events and sorry, but i’m just trying to have some better understanding of this approach for longer events as well!
thanks!

could you expand a bit more on this? and specifically, how do you progress the “fast” part throughout the season for endurance events?
hopefully, i’ll get some good comments by you and Charlie, as i’m interested in this issue…
thanks!

The longer the event, the easier it is to achieve actual racing speed (as opposed to speed reserve). After all, in the Marathon, the pace is “Start off slow and taper off!”

yes, but if we take an extreme as the marathon to help us here, will this mean that almost the only speed that he/she needs to train at are the very slow runs (for other purposes) and the marthon pace? (and the same for other events?); is this what you are saying?
(hopefully, the last one in this issue)
thanks!

Speed reserve is useful across the board.

Specifically regarding marathon runners

Lydiard was also one of the first coaches who realized even marathon runners would need to sharpen their sprinting speed. He used to have his long distance runners compete in the sprint events at the club level. “They didn’t like doing it because they thought they would look like fools,” he says. “But they all benefited from doing it.”

yes, i understand that and it’s what i’m trying to make endurance runners understand! i was just curious to see Charlie’s idea of his model in endurance running as well
thanks though!