5 Mistakes Sprinters Make in Tempo Runs

1. What are heart rate ranges immediately post rep and where should they be before starting the next rep?
  • Personally, a quick heart rate check using 15 seconds has served me well in checking where I need to be in other sports.[/QUOTE]

The heart rate ranges would less than 70 or less ( maybe 75 or less) than your max of sprinting or highest intensity work I suppose. I did not do this nor would I need or do this now. I can tell pretty quickly is someone is struggling and I know quickly what I am feeling like and whether or not the cost of work is too high.

If you time your 100’s in tempo you will easily see if you are consistent with the times. Never start too fast. You can add speed but you can’t take speed away until the next session.

It’s impressive that you are able to guage your ability to recover well and build up your general fitness with less tempos, especially as you get farther away from general prep phase into your specific prep. I will be looking forward to how your plan works out.

Read the article again - it may help you understand everything much easier.

I have argued that tempo running may help by increasing blood flow to the areas that have been strained for lymphatic benefit, but the optimal dose is difficult to estimate after a speed session. Training may have the best sport science support now in 2014, but it’s still not an exact science. An athlete, after speed sessions, technically has microtrauma to the tissues, rendering the body limited the next day. Additional running at slower velocities, while easier, is still pounding on the body when you are doing kilometers of work in a compromised state. Again, it’s not that the workout is that hard; it’s just that the body after maximal and supra-maximal effort is not in a position to do much besides passive rest. Sometimes, a day off or a pool workout should be employed after heavy work, and general fitness is not going to help with any race finishing unless a body composition problem exists or one is extremely deconditioned. Tempo running may develop enough capacity to handle heavy training phases and very deep loading weeks, so general fitness should not be eliminated.

Thanks for the article, it makes sense.

Since speed training will be more demanding in later phases, cutting down tempo would account for that increase in stress, whereas more tempos early on would be more tolerable when speed work is less intensive

No one has to be a fucking rocket science major to replicate success.

You do have to have trust in a system that has had success and faith and wisdom and acquire knowledge and not cut and paste every word into your training. I am seeing this constantly with everyone I watch and listen to. It’s maddening.

When I read bullshit that tempo runs from a Ben type talent (as one example)and he or she should be running 18 seconds I want to scream.

I ran tempo 100’s faster than that and sometimes slower if there was a problem but I still did the work and put in the time and volume of runs.

At Ben or Angie’s best to use two examples their tempo was much faster than 18 seconds. On the other hand when I first met Charlie in 1988 they were both doing tempo and it was slower, much slower than that as it was in the middle of competition season during 1988.

Fast forward to some of Charlie’s most successful athletes using what they did as training on others or their kids ( or what they thought they did ) and eliminating the tempo all together and working much harder more often how do you think that went? It didn’t and it made Charlie furious as he was constantly consulted but never listened to. But what did he know right?

Do what you want. Train how you want and realize that anyone can say anything especially on other sites when they are getting paid peanuts to write bullshit because the only premise is what? To sell stuff, not ideas that are necessarily tried and true. And you all read it and believe as you have very little knowledge and or confidence in differentiating what is true and what is not true. It’s not a slam. It’s true.

Masters athletes are not elite sprinters. It’s a different game on how to train when you are over prime time and yes it will not be easy or necessarily advisable to replicate what you did when you were younger or what you wish to do but can’t due to recovery times and other age related issues.

You can fool some of the people some of the time but you can’t fool all the people all of the time? sHit, is that changing?

Non elite athletes : Run 2-3 times per week at a pace that is close to a reasonable target sprinting race pace. This is the bit that needs to be carefully constructed and monitored.
The rest of possible training possibilities do not matter much. It`s an 80/20 rule, maybe even more. If you have the time/energy then do more, expect diminishing returns relative to effort you put in. And dont bother too much about the accurate measures of time/distance of tempo. Or the latest strength fad on Meathead-Nation.

Masters athletes : You will get slower. You will suffer from more injuries. If you have been sprint training from the age of 20 you will start to suffer the trials and tribulations of a clapped out old runner. Forget new PRs.
If you want, do tempo/weights - but do it for your health and appearance. Performing 5-6 days per week of varied types of training will fry your body and slow down sprint speed. But there is more to life.

I think there’s 2-3 different masters training groups. I think a 35-38yr old master sprinter should train different from a 50yr old master sprinter. A 35-38yr sprinter don’t have to make too many changes esp if he’s been training nonstop.

Not sure who you are talking about most times. If you are talking about Carl I think he has many solid points with his articles regardless what he’s trying to sell.

Case of wanderitis.

Can write 5,000 words and say nothing.

Thanks Ange!

I feel tired after many training workouts, depending on the sport.

If I did:

1 - 300+m sprints and jumps and weights and throws
2 - 1500-2000 tempo with cals
3 - 300+ HI
4 - 1500-2000 LI
5 - 300+ HI
6 - 1500-2000 LI

I would need therapy and support, probably a simple job.

I could do it at 40 BUT my evenings would require prehab/rehab/therapy. Work would just be something to do to live. I have some friends who train triathlon similarly but they are not super career oriented. 9-5 banker types who were former athletes.

Hit up your nearest bookies to cash 120k in 4 weeks!!! I’m good for the next 6 months - thanks to miss state…

Win 6/23/18 8:00pm College Baseball 13326 Mississippi State Under 4½ -110* vs Oregon State (Fixed Price)

Nice!

I can’t bet on Bulldawg baseball. Too much emotion.

Osu so talented. Maybe the most talented ever.

Good point. Athletes at the 30s end of the masters age range definately have a greater work capacity. Showing my own age, we did`nt become masters until age 40 in my day…

As a general rule I think 40+ Masters athletes should limit their running sessions to a max of 4 per week.
Aside from the time necessary I have always found it difficult to fit in all the necessary components within a concurrent training regime week. Doing all of speed + tempo + wts in a week seems to disrupt my metabolism.

I think miss state interim HC got a raw deal - they didn’t even give him a chance to interview for the head job… Most talented ever - I think the gators had some serious talent 2-3yrs ago.

Another aspect of learning the “new me” in training is also learning the new me with setting goals and expectations. Set goals based on your talent level “right now” not 10 or 15yrs ago or what you did in college. Set your goals based on other athletes in your age bracket etc. If you are a competitive person like myself this will save you a lot of headaches. If nothing else - just have fun!!! This is probably the most fun I ever had training - high motivation levels everyday I step onto the track.

True, they did. I think the AD is going for something similar, getting the upper echelon talent into the program. Miss state has always been solid in baseball. Pre-LSU, they were the best in the conference.

The masters athlete interviewed on WSS 5 who I think was world silver medallist only runs 2 x week + weights and tempo on the bike or in the pool. 4 x week running for an over 50 masters could be a little much I feel.
What do you mean by disrupts your metabolism?

General aches and tiredness. Minor niggling injuries. Beyond what I would expect from the total volume/quality of the work done in a given 1 week period. My total duration for a speed session, endurance session or weights session is virtually never more than 45 mins, including warm up.

I speculate that mixing several types of training means the body is continually challenged by variations of stress thereby increasing the overall load.
Some exercises do not feel compatible and sometimes lead to minor injuries. For example do deadlifts, run tempo the next day and get a slightly sore hamstring for a couple of days.
Examples of excessive variation - speed could incorporate accs, max v, se and so on. Weights may use various types of lifts. I appreciate that no part of GPP or SPP should allow every type of every training but even a subset is pretty varied.
I am looking at a model that repeats a much smaller set of exercises. Or possiblly alternating weeks of speed only or endurance only, biased towards the phase of the season.

I believe masters can run 4 times per week if they stick to a simple model like running on alternate days only. Never running more than 2 consecutive perhaps. Nevertheless there are many masters as you note that thrive on only 2 running sessions per week. Often at a pretty elite level.
I would also treat tempo as aerobic development/endurance only, not recovery.
Recovery would be a rest day.

Very interesting and makes sense.
How do you find your performances when “only” training for 45mins. I find to fit everything in it takes about 2 hours total. Have your injuries reduced on this type of program?
I agree about mixing different types of sessions, I find only doing one type of training on a given day works best. When I mix speed with say speed end it’s like I get confused in what I’m developing and injuries happen easier. But keeping that one development focus for weeks is something I haven’t thought of before. Cheers