30m Sprint Results

with RT. the only system I was accurately able to verify those charts was with the finishlynx reactime with the hard wired tripods. I ran a 4.4 30m wich was on the chart was 11high and is what I ran that year… This was a few years ago.

yeah, i was gonna say. bc when if you add 4.04 30m blocks and 2.94 flying 30 together (in same row) it adds up to much more than 6.88 for the 60

Spike commented that each person has his or her own timing methods. This fact is essential to the discussion regarding timing.
Charlie was well known to have an accurtate hand time conversion to electronic timing. Also each of his athlete’s had his or her own level of consistency in training and competition.
CF could predict Ben’s times accurately pre 1988 because Ben competed as he trained.This is rarely the case with most.
I logged all my runs over 10, 20, 30 and over for the last few years before I stopped running. I found it fun to do and enjoyed watching times get faster from season to season and it was a good bench mark for my confidence and understanding of what things I needed to do.
To summerize charts might be useful but unless all variables are controlled all the time your data must be interpreted accordingly.

test admin

Quoted for truth.

Nothing yet guys… Today I did 3x30 and 1x150 however I could not get anybody to come out and time me today… Next week is a deload week… so that is for now…

I will say this, I don’t feel like I get out as hard on the first 30 of the 150 apposed to doing just 30m alone. I started out as a 400m runner and I’m having a hard time breaking the mental barrier of going out only 90% on longer sprints. On the positive side, my new all around strength feels great when I run, I’m not battling fatigue in the way that I use to feel when ran 200s of my former body weight/athletic ability.

After your deload week it should be interesting to see your times.

ok, here it goes:

About a week ago I got timed by the same person (mi madre!) in the poring rain. It was so wet I was slipping inside my spikes and such. I decided to run a 100m just to get to the point, and I figure I would be better at that distance because my speed endurance is still under development.

Alright, where I train (and where I got timed) is a brand new track, and where I started, I presumed it was the 100m start, because it said, “100m start”.

Well the clocked stopped at 12.1 on that rainy day.

Moving along, today at the track I went to workout (4x30 1x60) and decided to really make sure I got the distance correct after my workout. Well, I have yet to confirm with a measuring device I will buy this week at home depot, but it appears that I ran 115 (+or-) meters on that rainy day.

I counted from the finish line 10m segments on back (following indicators) and 100m STOPS at a mark that says, “100m”, then if you go back another 10m I met with a mark that says “110” then you go back a few meters (5m or so) and you stop at a line that says, “100m start, (which is where I though the 100m actually starts)” then you go back another 5m or so and a line says, “110 start” which does not make any sense because right behind that line THE TRACK ENDS because there is GRASS… ha!

AHH!! This is why I need a coach!!

Anyhow guys, I know ALL OF THIS IS SPECULATIVE. I will be running at indoor 60m track meets come winter. So hopefully I can see where I’m REALLY at.

What did you use for these 10m indicators? Are there hurdle markings? There should be hurdle marks about 4m in front of the 100m start line.
The first hurdle of a 110m hurdles is 13.72m, and they are 9.14m apart.
The first hurdle of a 100m hurdles is 12.5m, and they are 8.5m apart.

First hurdle of 100m hurdles is at 13.0 m.

Ok, all along the 100m straight away there were yellow and blue markings. They are spaced out obliviously 10m apart from the next segment of markings (and I will check to be sure) with the blue mark slightly ahead of the yellow marks along the way.

The blue marks are the hurdle marks, and the yellow marks are for the 100. I used the yellow marks, and when you start from the finish line and walk back to the start going by the yellow marks, you stop at what says in black on the side that says “100 meters.”

I DID NOT start there, I started further back where another line says “100m Start”

I will try and take pics with a cam phone… Give me a few days…

For what it’s worth guys, I dug up my family history ( I have old family reunion books) and found out my bloodline goes back to Ghana, Gambia, and Angola.

The colors are gender coded. Blue is for boys (men) and yellow is for girls (women). The spacing between the blue marks is 10 yards, and the spacing between the yellow marks is 8.5 meters. The women start 100 meters from the finish, and the men start 110 meters from the finish.

This link may prove helpful. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurdling

Best,
Christopher

This is what the hurdle markings are for and the distances apart.

OPEN MEN 110m - 10 at 106.7cm high. Run in (first hurdle) -13.72m, between hurdles - 9.14m, Runout - 14.02m
OPEN WOMEN 100m - 10 at 84cm high . Run in (first hurdle) - 13m, between hurdles - 8.5m, Runout - 10.5m

Wow, this is so confusing but I get what you are saying. I’m going to buy a tape measure today (hopefully in meters) to confirm all this and figure out exactly what I ran.

Thanks Chris for the info!

Hay guys…

I did want I had to do and although I’m a little disappointed, I’m glad I started this thread because my calculations were all wrong. My 30/60 times are fast because I gave myself (unknowingly) about a 5-8m head start.

As far as the 100m time, I DID start at the right place, so that was a legit 12.1. As far as the, 110 start line next to the grass, now it makes sense as to why construction is taking place behind it. Apparently they are adding more track space because they left no room to set up blocks.

Thanks for all the help thus far guys… Had I not posted this I would have been training 4x24 and 4x48 for months into the future.

It’s good that you learned the marks early, so now you can log and assess your progress with the correct numbers. Keep in mind there is nothing magical about round numbers (e.g. multiples of 10). You just need to know the correct distances you are running. For example, I prefer the fly-in 59.5 to the 60, because it’s 7 yellow hurdle marks and I can set it up in the time it takes me to walk that distance, and no tape measure needed. (I wrote my own iPhone applications that can best-fit an inverse exponential speed decrement curve to any set of data points, but you can straight-line convert the 59.5 to a 60 with adequate precision).

Once you know all the marking distances on the track, you will migrate to a system that works for you.

Best,
Christopher

the IAAF has a technical section, the hurdle spacings are as I said and you would now know if you used a tape. If the track you are at starts adding the other age group hurdle spacings and colour code them ???.

I have not been here in a while. I have been putting my nose to the grind stone. Well here it goes:

1. I got myself a isorobic exerciser, and that was the easy part because you can score them for 20 bucks. However, I have not yet used it because the rope is at least going to set me back about 100+ bucks around my area. So keep in mind guys that you’re going to pay much more for the rope then you will for the actual unit itself.

2. I got myself a EMS unit. Don’t laugh, because I’m on a budget, but I got mine from target for 89 bucks. http://www.target.com/p/ReVive-Pro-Muscle-Conditioner/-/A-11010284

It works great and it’s not painful to me! And just like Charlie said, you can crank it up on the second week after your body gets use to it. I did notice one thing- my left side of the body takes more current to get up to the same tension of the right side of my body. Not sure how to fix that.

1. I finally got the book, “So you want to be a sprinter” by Bud Winter, and STUPID me tried to blend buds 10x100 meter intensive tempo into the CFTS and after working myself down to 14/13 second 100m reps, in a few WEEKS, a few days later while doing 4x30 on a chilly day I pulled my left hammy! DAM!!!

So at this point, I’m a little depressed that I can’t SPRINT, and I’m still nursing my hammy, but I’m thankful to have my EMS unit.

I can stress enough the EMS unit. It feels really good on my hams when I use the pulse mode… The first day I used it, it gave me a strong tonic effect. It also helps me get to sleep…

Hey there,

Glad to see you got the spacings figured out. ESTI loaned me one of his Isorobic Exercisers and now I want a few. They are great!

Don’t feel too bad about messing up the hurdle distances. A few years back I took some “10 metre splits” that were not 10 metres at all, and I too was running fantastic times for a couple of workouts!

Where are you buying your rope, and how many feet / metres are you looking for? That cost seems awfully high. I’m pretty sure my local hardware store sells it by the foot fairly cheap.

Some cheap EMS units can be great depending on your needs. I bought the NeuroTrack Sport XL a few years ago for under $150 from WinHealth in the UK and it has four channels. The only downside is that you can only adjust for Left and Right channels, which is slightly limiting compared to an upper end Compex unit, for example.