30m Sprint Results

I’ve timed quite a few girls in the 3.50 to 3.80 range for the 30 meter fly using automated timing equipment (Brower and Freelap), and based on my experience, the 100 meter competition times are a tad low.

Best,
Christopher Glaeser
Sports Technology Evangelist
Freelap Track and Field

I’m tall, but that’s not the point. The point is, your 30m time will tell you how fast your 30 is, and that is IT. You need to stop obsessing about mom-timed 30’s and work on the rest of your race.

+1

This is a compelling question. If you are serious about your training, it requires a compelling answer. How can you measure progress if you can’t measure? What is the point of keeping detailed records if you don’t have accurate details to record? How can you assess your training program if you lack the tools to assess? Once you have answers to these questions, you will have a better idea of where you are and a direction you should proceed.

Best,
Christopher

haha, ive never had my mom time a 30 for me. that’s the other guy. i’m just wondering bc my college runs a 30m test in the fall and im not sure what a good time for it would be

and your 30 still definitely can say a lot about your speed, no one who is really fast will have too awful a 30, though i guess vice versa isnt as sure (the same fast people are strong, but strong people arent necessarily fast type of idea)

by FAT do you mean electronic timing off first movement or timing with rt factored in?

The chart is off in some places. The USATF Level 2 chart is a bit better. Not perfect but better.

That’s a good question. I’m also confused at how Angella Issajenko, according to CTFS (page 141), can run blistering 3.5’s, 3.7’s 30m sprints and (respectfully) can only come in around 7.1 at the 60m. She did dip high 6 seconds for the 60 but I would think if you can run 3.5 that’s guaranteed 6 seconds anything all the time for the 60m.

Or do I not make any sense?

Thank you ^^ Lots if info in this post. And it’s funny you mention the 150’s as I have chosen to run a 150 instead of the 200m. I going to run the 150 over the weekend. I would have ran it last week but I was not able to recover like I wanted.

I thought about that too when I was reading charlie’s manual. It was hand timed that could be why she ran sick times (could be other things too) I think that year she ran 3.5 her 100m time was 11 low or something… But then again PJ told me that olusoji fusaba can run a 3.4 from the blocks… So I mean it could be the person timing or whatever who knows…

I dont think you can really get anything from these charts unless you have fancy timing equipment and factor in reaction time. If you really REALLY want to know what you are capable of you need to go to a meet with FAT.

+1 Will do.

I think its been mentioned numerous times in other threads but one always needs to be cautious regarding hand times. Hand times are for your own comparison. It allows your coach or you as your coach to compare your athlete against other athletes in the squad or against themselves to gauge improvements. It doesn’t matter if one gets a 3.4 or a 3.9 or a 4.5 as its relative to their timing set up. Its important to remember that 30 times mentioned across squads can be timed in different ways…first step, first movement, walk in, standing, crouch, 3-point, off a gun etc etc all with different timers. there are enough variables there to result in numerous 30m times for the same person let alone making comparison to other peoples numbers. The 30m tells you how your 30m is going…in looking at speed tables it provides some insight into what one could run assuming other factors are in play such as MV and speed end. It also provides you with insight into rough times one needs to run to produce world class performances. It doesn’t however cater for outliers which exist in every sport. If you have an athlete who is recording 3.9 on your time for 30m hand timed and they are running 10.30s electric then that gives you info and any subsequent movement in this time may impact on the overall race time. Finally always remember that some of the best can find improvements in time from training when they step up because there training is focused on good acceleration mechanics under control and thus they may reserve that 1% for race day…

^^ You’re points are noted. Thank you Spike.

T SLow ----> Clear your inbox so I can message you. Thanks.

with RT. the only system I was accurately able to verify those charts was with the finishlynx reactime with the hard wired tripods. I ran a 4.4 30m wich was on the chart was 11high and is what I ran that year… This was a few years ago.

yeah, i was gonna say. bc when if you add 4.04 30m blocks and 2.94 flying 30 together (in same row) it adds up to much more than 6.88 for the 60

Spike commented that each person has his or her own timing methods. This fact is essential to the discussion regarding timing.
Charlie was well known to have an accurtate hand time conversion to electronic timing. Also each of his athlete’s had his or her own level of consistency in training and competition.
CF could predict Ben’s times accurately pre 1988 because Ben competed as he trained.This is rarely the case with most.
I logged all my runs over 10, 20, 30 and over for the last few years before I stopped running. I found it fun to do and enjoyed watching times get faster from season to season and it was a good bench mark for my confidence and understanding of what things I needed to do.
To summerize charts might be useful but unless all variables are controlled all the time your data must be interpreted accordingly.

test admin

Quoted for truth.

Nothing yet guys… Today I did 3x30 and 1x150 however I could not get anybody to come out and time me today… Next week is a deload week… so that is for now…

I will say this, I don’t feel like I get out as hard on the first 30 of the 150 apposed to doing just 30m alone. I started out as a 400m runner and I’m having a hard time breaking the mental barrier of going out only 90% on longer sprints. On the positive side, my new all around strength feels great when I run, I’m not battling fatigue in the way that I use to feel when ran 200s of my former body weight/athletic ability.

After your deload week it should be interesting to see your times.