16th African Champs

by Aileen Kimutai

ADDIS ABABA, April 29, 2008 (AFP) - Ethiopia’s rich athletics tradition will be showcased at the 16th African track and field championships, the country’s biggest-ever sporting competition, which gets underway here on Wednesday.
With the Beijing Olympics looming competing nations are eager to test their talents against the rest of the continent before the Games in August.
With the Ethiopian Millenium celebrations still in full force, the hosts have shown that they are not only taking the Africa championships seriously by entering a star-studded squad but by the elaborate preparations to welcome more than 600 delegates from over 42 countries here for the event.
Arriving teams were met by a host of star runners including former World 10,000m champion Berhane Adere and the Sydney Olympic marathon champion Gezahegne Abera who led the visitors to the imposing Millenium Dome where a series of pop concerts that featured American queen Beyonce and Akon staged shows.
The Dome, put up by Ethiopian-born Saudi billionaire Sheikh Mohammed Al Amoudi, is one of the new buildings in the changing skyline to this ancient city as Ethiopia moves away from its Marxist past to embrace the new world order.
Down the road are three other new office blocks which have been constructed by Ethiopian distance athlete Haile Gebrselassie who is using his huge earnings to secure his future as an entrepreneurial businessman.
Haile is doing a great job for us,'' said Andrew, a taxi driver. Look at those buildings. He has helped change the landscape of our city.’’

Gebrselassie will not be competing in the African championship but his absence will be less significant as the next generation of Ethiopian athletes take the field to displace their indepth home-grown talent.
Ethiopia, with the largest continent of 140 athletes is expected to dominate in the middle and long distance events with Nigeria and South Africa tipped to share the medals on offer in the sprints and field events.
Multiple world record holder Kenenisa Bekele turns up in form following his unprecendented sixth title triumph at the world cross country championship in Edinburgh in March.
Bekele, who is also the reigning Olympic 10,000m champion, will contest the race at home for the first time in four years alongside world junior champion Ibrahim Jeylan and the African champion Moses Kipsiro of Uganda.
Olympic 5,000m champion Meseret Defar is also favoured to dominate her event against fellow Ethiopian Meselech Melkamu, who won the 3,000 metres silver medal at the World indoor championship in Valencia in March.
Traditional rivals Kenya has sent a relatively young team after the established runners opted out of the African championships to prepare for the upcoming outdoor Grand Prix competition.
The Kenyan team will be spearheaded by the junior world 800 metre champion Daniel Rudisha and former world junior champion Asbel Kiprop who will run the 1,500m.
The men’s 800 metres is is set to be a hot contested affair between Rudisha and Sudan’s Abubaker Kaki Khamis who won the country’s first world senior gold medal at the indoor championships in Valencia.

Did anyone watch the 100m semi - final of the African champion ships. Amr Seoud was running there ( The egyptian guy ) and he didn’t run in the final… I couldn’t watch it on TV and I’m sure something happened to him. He didn’t start the final!! Before he left Egypt he told me that he was going to win. After opening with a 10.35 in a -1.4 head wind I knew he was not kidding. But what happened in that semi… Please if anyone knows could you please post.

Olu Fasuba won the final in 10.10 after a slow reaction.

Surely he’s gonna bust 10 again.

I hope he beats Tyson and wins Oly gold.

Why’s everyone always down on Tyson? I hope Olu makes the finals.

Based on what I’ve seen and heard, this 10.10 is a very positive sign of things to come! (RT: 0.173)

Thursday May 1, 2008 - Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

Nigerian duo Olusoji Fasuba and Damola Osayemi won the men’s and women’s 100m to move Nigeria to joint top of the medal in the second day of action at the 16th CAA African Athletics Championships (30 April- 4 May 2008).

The 22-year old, who is the All-African Games 100m/200m double champion, took victory in 11.22 ahead of Ghana’s defending champion Vida Anim and Cameroon’s Delphine Atangana.

In the men’s 100m, Nigeria’s Olusoji Fasuba comfortably defended his African title thanks to a 10.10 performance ahead of compatriot Uchenna Emedolu with South African Hannes Dreyer, the fastest qualifier in yesterday’s heats, beating Burkina Faso’s medal hopeful Idrissa Sanou to bronze.

Both performances were Addis Ababa stadium records and propelled Nigeria to the top of the medal standings with five medals (2 gold, 2 silver, and 1 bronze) with Egypt and hosts Ethiopia in second and third place.

"I know it is going to be a good year for me, because there is no way I am ready to run 10.10 now,” said an ecstatic Fasuba. “There are lots of good youngsters coming through now and African sprinting is on its way back up, I nearly got knocked out because the competition was tough but I had a good start and am pleased the result.”

Osayemi on her part said, “It was so great, I loved beating the defending champion. I worked hard to be here and I didn’t let the false starts bother me, I stayed focused on the run. The preparations for Beijing are going well, I believe I can get a medal and I am good enough to win the Olympics because of God. I am very happy with my time as its so early in the season.”

The biggest surprise of the action this afternoon came in the women’s 110m hurdles where Fatuma Feofanah got the better of Nigerian race favourite Toyin Augustus to give Guinea its first gold of the championships. Her 13.10 was a national record and a performance significantly better than the 13.51 that won her bronze in Algiers last year.

“There was a lot of pressure on me because this is Guinea’s first ever gold medal in the African Championships,” said Feofanah. “I have also been sick for the past two days. This is only my second competition of the season and therefore this is a great time.”

Elshadai Negash for Addis2008.org

http://www.addis2008.org/News/NewsManager.php?detail_news=9262455184

Undoubtedly Africa’s most talented sprinter in the last two years, Fasuba emerged on the international scene when he ran an African record of 9.85s for the 100m in Doha two years ago.

Before his breakout year, he had been a member of the Nigerian 4X100m sprinting team that won bronze in the 2004 Athens Olympics and was an African 100m champion the same year.

Fasuba suffered through a combination of lack of fitness and form after his Doha performance. The peak performance was a fourth place finish behind American Tyson Gay, Bahamian Derrick Atkins, and Jamaican world record holder Asafa Powell over the 100m at the 2007 world championships in Osaka, Japan.

He has begun 2008 impressively first storming to the top of the world 60m indoor rankings and then winning his first global title courtesy of victory in the 12th IAAF World Indoor Championships in Valencia, Spain. Fasuba is expected to compete in Addis Ababa to fine tune his preparations for the 29th Beijing Olympics where he is expected to enter as a medal favourite following his scintillating indoor performances.

Did you know- Fasuba is coached Jean P. Vazel who doubles as the French correspondent for the IAAF website. The Abdoulaye Wade Foundation in Senegal named the Nigerian as its male athlete of the year for his impressive performances in 2007.

http://www.addis2008.org/StarsOfAddis2008/StarsOfAddis2008Manager.php?detail=0879765516

ADDIS ABABA, 1 mai 2008 (AFP) - Ethiopia’s world and Olympic 5,000 metres champion Meseret Defar suffered a shock defeat finishing second to compatriot Meselech Melkamu at the African athletics championships on Thursday.
Melkamu, the world indoor 3000m silver medallist powered her way to an easy victory after breaking away in the last 400 metres to win in 15 minutes 49.81 seconds.
Defar beat Kenya’s Grace Momanyi in a photo-finish for second place although both runners were awarded the same time of 15:50.20.
Earlier Nigeria entered its name in the medals table when African champion Olusiji Fasuba and Damola Osayami made it a sprint double in the men’s and women 100 metres events.
It was Fasuba’s third title at these championships and the 23-year-old Nigeria said he was satisfied with his performance only four months before the Olympic Games in Beijing.
My plans for the Olympics are good. I wasn't ready to run 10.10 now and it came,'' said Fasuba, who clocked a personal best 9.85 in Doha in 2006. I believe that by the time I get to the sea level and do more speedwork and some more competitions I will be able to run my time consistently’’, he added
Guinea’s Fatmata Fofanah won the women’s 100m hurdles beating her Nigerian arch-rival Toyin Augustus into second place.
Fofanah, who like Augustus trains in the United States clocked 13.10 - two seconds ahead of the Nigerian with Cameroon’s Carole Kaboud Me Bam a distant third in 13.52.

ADDIS ABABA, 1 mai 2008 (AFP) - Results of the African athletics championships here on Thursday:

Men
100m

1. Olusoji Fasuba (NGR) 10.10sec.
  2. Emedolu Uchene (NGR) 10.21
  3. Hannes Dreyer (RSA) 10.24

Women
100m

1. Damola Osayomi (NGR) 11.22sec.
  2. Vida Anim (GHA) 11.43
  3. Delphine Atangana (CMR) 11.46

100mH

1. Fatmata Fofanah (GUI) 13.10sec
  2. Toyin Augustus (NGR) 13.12
  3. Carole Kaboud Me Bam (CMR) 13.52

I agree! As much as I like Fasuba…lets keep things in real perspective!!! consistent sub 10’s are on Gay’s side!!

Thursday, 01 May 2008 Melkamu outsprints Defar for 5000m title – African Championships day 2

Big win for Meselech Melkamu at the African Championships (Jiro Mochizuki (Agence shot))

relnews Addis Ababa, Ethiopia - Meseret Defar, the IAAF female athlete of 2007 who had already begun to look unbeatable again this year, suffered a shock defeat on the second day of the 16th African Athletics Championships here tonight. Defar, who in 2008 has set a World indoor best time for two miles and won a third successive World Indoor 3000m title, had to settle for silver in a 5000m won by compatriot Meselech Melkamu.

Melkamu, only ninth, and Ethiopia’s last scorer, in the World Cross Country Championships in Edinburgh four weeks ago, took advantage of a slow, tactical race to outgun Defar on the last lap and deny her a successful defence of the title she had won in Bambous, Mauritius, in 2006. It was a first senior international championship victory for the 2004 World junior cross country and 5000m champion.

Melkamu finally emerges from Defar’s shadow

Told many years ago by her father always to consider herself as having a chance, regardless of the opposition, Melkamu put the guidance into practice before a capacity 25,000 home crowd in Addis Ababa Stadium. She became the fourth successive Ethiopian winner of the title, each one with a different identity, following Berhane Adere (2002), Etalemahu Kidane (2004) and Defar (2006).

Melkamu, now 23, finished just outside the medals in Ethiopia’s historic sweep of the top four places in the 5000m at the 2005 World Championships, in Helsinki, following Tirunesh Dibaba, Defar, and Ejegayehu Dibaba. She was sixth in the 2006 African Championships and repeated that position at the 2007 World Championships, in Osaka, won by Defar.

Indoors these past two seasons, Melkamu has had an unobscured rear view of Defar, Running indoors in Stuttgart during Defar’s 2007 attempt on the 3000m world record, she pushed her all the way, finishing two hundredths of a second behind Defar’s new World record of 8:23.72. At the 2008 World Indoor Championships, in Valencia, she took the silver behind Defar, albeit nearly three seconds adrift.

Here tonight, it took only four laps for the lead pack to be trimmed to six athletes, comprising three Ethiopians and three Kenyans. Melkamu, Defar and Belaynesh Fekadu between them took the pace while the Kenyans, Grace Momanyi, Veronica Nyaruai and Esther Chemutai, seemed content to sit in. Chemutai briefly put in an appearance at the front with 1500m to go but the Ethiopians quickly restored order and, as the bell sounded (14:48.30), six contenders remained.

A 61.51sec last lap saw Melkamu edge out Defar, who only narrowly denied Momanyi the silver medal. The victor recorded 15:49.81, Defar and Momanyi sharing 15:50.19. With Fekadu fourth, Momanyi at least denied Ethiopia a second medal sweep after Gebregziabher Gebremariam, Ibrahim Jeilan and Eshetu Wondemu had dominated the men’s 10,000m on Wednesday.

As Melkamu went on her victory lap, Defar sat doubled-up on the track and the stretcher-bearers rushed to her side. Even after getting to her feet, she aborted two attempts to start jogging, apparently suffering stomach cramps, and resorted to resting her hands on her knees. Finally, with Melkamu’s lap of honour finished, Defar took a flag and managed a lap, much to the delight of the crowd.

“I was ill the whole day and I just competed because I made a promise to my people,” said Defar.

Fusuba takes third 100m crown

Nigeria’s hopes of three sprint gold medals in one night evaporated when, in the first of the three finals in which they were hoping for victory, defending champion Toyin Augustus had to settle for silver in the women’s 100m Hurdles, beaten by Guinea’s Fatmata Fofanah. But at least Olusoji Fasuba and Damola Osayomi delivered a 100m double for Nigeria.

Fasuba clocked 10.10, with compatriot Emedolu Uchenne taking silver (10.21) and South Africa’s Hannes Dreyer bronze (10.24). In so doing Fasuba became the first man to win the title three times. Three other men had won it twice - Ernie Obeng for Ghana (1979/82), Chidi Imo for Nigeria (1984/85) and his countryman, Seun Ogunkoya (1996/98). How did Fasuba feel about his moment of history? “I’m aiming for five, three is too small for me,” he said.

The African 100m record holder, Fasuba achieved his victory here only eight weeks after taking the World Indoor 60m title in Valencia. “I came to this competition not prepared but just to see what I could do,” he said. “I know this is high altitude but I believe I can get better than this by the Olympics. It was very difficult to get ready for this so soon after the World Indoor Championships. Last week I was almost crying because my times were so terrible in training.”
In the women’s 100m, Anim arrived as the defending champion but knowing that she had been beaten by Osayomi to the All Africa Games title, in Algiers, last year. Tonight Osayomi recorded 11.22, Anim 11.43.

Fofanah captures first-ever title for Guinea

Fofanah’s narrow victory (13.10) and over Augustus (13.12) brought Guinea their first gold medal in the 29-year history of these championships. But it came from a woman who does not speak French and is none too fond of African food. “I was born in Sierra Leone but my parents were living in Guinea so I decided to represent Guinea,” Fofanah said.

“I train in Atlanta. My father decided to move us to the United States when I was about five years old, so that is how I ended up there. This is my biggest success by far. Previously it was the national championships in the United States. I have never done this well at an international competition and it feels so good. Guinea has been looking forward to this for so long. But the food has been a big problem for me here. I have been sick for the past few days.”

Click here for full results

David Powell for the IAAF

GREAT JOB COACH PJ AND CHAMPION OLU:)

Oh-oh! Wrong statement! This will be officials’ excuse now, before Olu getting any benefits… :stuck_out_tongue:

Olu had his hardest time ever during a competition. He received his ticket on Sunday, took the plane on Monday to Addis via Roma and arrived on Tuesday, without knowing if he was competing the first round on Wednesday or Thursday. It turned out to be on Wednesday. He then collapsed before the semi final, victim of high altitude. He couldn’t breath at all and had asthma crisis, still managed to get qualified for the final. During the final on Thursday he had a poor reaction time 0.173 and acceleration, didn’t took the lead before the half way and surged away from the other medallists. I’m very proud of his achievement this week.

100m African Champions

1979 Ernest Obeng GHA 10.54
1982 Ernest Obeng GHA 10.2
1984 Chidi Imo NGR 10.40
1985 Chidi Imo NGR 10.22
1988 John Myles-Mills GHA 10.25
1989 Amadou Mbagnick Mbaye SEN 10.60
1990 Joseph Gikonyo KEN 10.28
1992 Victor Omagbemi NGR 10.34
1993 Daniel Effiong NGR 10.39
1996 Seun Ogunkoya NGR 10.45
1998 Seun Ogunkoya NGR 9.94
2000 Abdul Aziz Zakari GHA 10.13
2002 Frankie Fredericks NAM 9.93w
2004 Olusoji Fasuba NGR 10.21
2006 Olusoji Fasuba NGR 10.37
2008 Olusoji Fasuba NGR 10.10

By Anita Powell
ADDIS ABABA, May 4 AP - World record holder Kenenisa Bekele held on to win the 5,000-metre race today at the African Athletics Championships.
The Ethiopian, who pulled out of Wednesday’s 10,000, won the shorter race in 13 minutes, 49.67 seconds. Isaac Songok of Kenya finished a close second 13:49.91, and Ali Abdush of Ethiopia was third.
Bekele’s younger brother, Tariku, traded places with Kenenisa Bekele throughout the race but finished fourth.
The elder Bekele, who also holds the world record in the 10,000, pulled out of that event because he said he didn’t have enough time to recover from winning his sixth world cross-country title in Scotland in March.
Bekele said he had also planned to skip the 5,000, but eventually succumbed to pressure to compete before a home crowd.
I had to change my decision to run because many people were asking about me, 'Why didn't Kenenisa run in front of his own country?''' Bekele said. Songok took an early lead Sunday, but the Bekele brothers soon took over and led a five-man pack for the rest of the race. Songok, however, surged ahead in the last lap to take silver. The 5,000 drew a mixed crowd of long-distance hopefuls, including barefoot runner Matjeane Masilo of Lesotho, who finished 11th in the 20-man race, and Abdinasir Sa'id Ibrahim of Somalia, who finished 17th. My practice is very hard because my country is in a war,’’ Sa’id Ibrahim said between gulps of air and swigs from a bottle of water. ``Sometimes I can’t make training because there is fighting.’’
Bekele’s win confirmed Ethiopia’s domination of the distance events as the championships. The host country swept the men’s and women’s 10,000, and Ethiopians got two medals in each of the 5,000 races.
Ethiopian women also took gold and silver in the 3,000 steeplechase. Zemzem Ahmed won in 9:44, and Mekdes Bekele - who is not related to the Bekele brothers - finished ahead of third-place Ruth Bosibori of Kenya.
South Africa won the most medals at the five-day event, taking 12 gold and 22 overall. Nigeria was next with 19 medals, including seven gold.
Ethiopia finished third in the medals table with 15 overall, including six gold, while Kenya had 16 with five gold.

Aths: African Athletics Championships medals table Aths Medals
ADDIS ABABA, May 4 AFP) - Final standings and medals at the end of the African athletics championships today:

-------------Gold Silver, Bronze, Total
South Africa 12 2 8 22
Nigeria 7 7 5 19
Ethiopia 6 6 3 15
Kenya 5 5 6 16
Algeria 2 4 1 7
Egypt 2 3 2 7
Morocco 2 2 2 6
Botswana 2 1 1 4
Tunisia 2 0 1 3
Sudan 1 3 0 4
Cameroon 1 1 4 6
Senegal 1 0 2 3
Guinea 1 0 0 1
Ghana 0 3 0 3
Mauritius 0 2 0 2
Ivory Coast 0 1 1 2
Mali 0 1 1 2
Seychelles 0 1 0 1

XCouresy of the ezxcellent IAAF news service
www.iaaf.org

Sunday, 04 May 2008 Chelimo defeats Mutola, K. Bekele takes 5000m - African Championships, final day

Pamela Chelimo en route to her 800m breakthrough in Addis Ababa (Jiro Mochizuki (Agence shot))

relnews Addis Ababa, Ethiopia - Loyal to the last, Ethiopia’s wildly enthusiastic fans of the sport sat for hours in torrential rain here today, most without cover, waiting for the start of the closing session of the 16th African Athletics Championships. With 13 finals on offer, and the prospect of three more gold medals for the home squad, and perhaps a sweep in the men’s 5000m, it was not to be missed under any circumstances.

The 25,000 lucky ones who got into the National Stadium – there were thousands left outside – were at least spared the rain once the competition began. And they saw Zemzem Ahmed take the women’s 3000m Steeplechase and Kenenisa Bekele win the 5000m to take Ethiopia’s final gold medal count to six. But, to the rare neutral in the crowd, the eye-catching performance of the day was the sight of a little-known Kenyan, Pamela Chelimo, derailing Maria Mutola, the Maputo Express.

In breakout performance, teenager Chelimo outkicks Mutola

The contrast in experience could not have been more marked. Mutola, 20 years after she competed in her first of five Olympics, and a multiple World and African champion, against the 19-year-old making her international debut for Kenya and never having broken two minutes. She has now.

For the first lap, Liberia’s Muhammed Fatimoh occupied the crowd’s attention as she opened a 15 metres lead. It was, inevitably, suicidal and, after being passed with 300m to go, she faded to finish seventh. It was Chelimo who hit front in succession to Fatimoh and Mutola immediately tucked in behind.

Coming off the final bend, Chelimo found a sudden change of gear that Mutola was unable to match. As the Kenyan kept her form to cross the line in 1:58.70, all strength seemed to leave the Mozambican and she almost lost the silver medal as Agnes Samaria, from Namibia, closed in. Mutola recorded 2:00.47, Samaria 2:00.62.

It may have been Mutola’s last chance of an international title because surely now, at 35 and in her final season of competition, she cannot go on to win at the Olympic Games in Beijing. At least her championship record of 1:56.36, set in 1993, survived.

In the history of these championships only Mutola, four times a winner, has run faster than Chelimo did today and, as an indication of the Kenyan’s promise, former African champions whose marks were slower in taking their gold medals include Hassiba Boulmerka, Algeria’s former Olympic and World 1500m champion, Olympic and World silver medallist Hasna Benhassi, from Morocco, and reigning World champion, Janeth Jepkosgei, from Kenya.

K. Bekele kicks to tactical 5000m victory

Bekele redeemed himself for his non appearance in the 10,000m, for which he had been named originally, winning a tactical 5000m in 13:49.67. To nobody’s surprise, when a bunch of five athletes got away early on, it comprised three Ethiopians, (Kenenisa, his brother, Tariku Bekele and Ali Abdosh) and two Kenyans (Isaac Songok and Josphat Kiprono Menjo)

At 3000m, Tariku took responsibility at the front and, from here until the bell, he took the lion’s share, often with his brother right beside him. Songok and Kiprono Menjo seemed content to sit back. An explosion of speed on the last lap saw Kenenisa triumph with a 54.40 last 400m while Songok denied Ethiopia their third medal sweep, following a 1-2-3 in the men’s and women’s 10,000m. Abdosh claimed the bronze medal while the younger Bekele got nothing for his earlier hard work.

"It was very, very tough today because of the altitude,” Kenenisa said. “Since the World Cross Country Championship I have had to take 10 days of training off and I have only been back in training for 20 days. This is why I was not sure I would run today and track is very different to cross country, but I had to do it in front of my own people, because they really wanted to see me. When me and Haile (Gebrselassie) hugged on his lap of honour he wished me luck.”

Two Ethiopian legends had appeared on the track at the same time. While Bekele was warming-up, Gebrselassie, although not competing here, took a lap of honour. It was strange to see the multiple world and Olympic champion jogging around the track wearing a maroon gown and black hat. But this was the mark of his honorary degree from Leeds Metropolitan University, England, which he was presented with inside the stadium, for his outstanding contribution to the sport.

Women’s Steeplechase title for Ahmed

Ahmed’s Steeplechase victory had come in an earlier track event, with Mekdes Bekele (no relation to Kenenisa and Tariku) taking silver. On any other day, Bekele would probably have settled for the bronze medal, as Kenya’s Ruth Bosibori came past her down the home straight, but she could hardly ignore the screams from the grandstand and regained her position.

As the gold and silver medallist paraded the flag on their lap of honour, such was the decibel level that you could have been forgiven for thinking that Gebrselassie had arrived early for his presentation. However, a third gold medal for Ethiopia today was not to be as Deresse Mekonen, the World Indoor champion, was beaten into fourth place in the men’s 1500m

Haron Keitany, called into the Kenya team only two days before its departure for Addis, sprung a surprise with is victory in 3:43.47. Fifteen metres from the line it looked as though Juan van Deventer was going to deliver victory for South Africa but Keitany’s late burst for gold, and Gideon Gathimba’s for silver, relegated him to bronze.

With Triple Jump victory, Mbango returning to form

Francoise Mbango, from Cameroon, competing in her first international championship since the 2004 Athens Olympics, announced her return in style, winning with a world leading mark of 14.76m. Mbango, whose long absence has been due to a combination of giving birth and to a dispute with her national federation, won by 40cm from Sudan’s Yamile Aldama.

Despite local focus on distances, South Africa the dominant force

There was a double for South Africa in the 200m, Thuso Mpaung taking the men’s title in 20.53 and Isabel Le Roux the women’s in 22.69. Nigeria’s Damola Osayomi, seeking a sprint double, had to be content with third place. And how fitting it was that South Africa should win the last event on the five-day programme, the men’s 4x400m.

While the middle and long distance events captured the imagination of locals, South Africa dominated proceedings in almost every other department. Winning 12 golds, they topped the medals table, ahead of Nigeria (7), Ethiopia (6) and Kenya (5). A good last day for Nigeria came courtesy of their women, with victories for Ajoke Odumosu in the 400m Hurdles (55.92), Vivian Chukwuemeka in the Shot (17.50) and the 4x400m quartet.

The day had started with two championship records in the 20k Walk despite the athletes having to battle against torrential rain. Grace Wanjiru, from Kenya, beat her own four-year-old mark of 1:42.45 with 1:39.50 and Mohamed Ameur, from Algeria, with 1:22.55, erased the 1:23.58 set by Kenya’s David Kimutai at the 2006 championships.

Click here for full results

David Powell for the IAAF