110mH State Title Quest

12/14/12

Today we worked on first hurdle execution. We have a race goal touchdown time of sub 2.5 to the first hurdle (I use my 60 fps camera to track this in races). Last season he was in the 2.5’s I believe, I have to check my charts.

30m block starts were in 3.8 range (no hurdles of course).

EFE zones were 1.98-2.00 range, and FEF today were in the 1.9s for the second zone. I am consistent with my hand times, although I know they are not accurate.

12/17/2012

Today we did more 1st hurdle work. Consistent touchdown times in the low 2.3s for all reps. Friday I will use my 60 fps camera to get a more accurate reading. His speed coming off the first hurdle is very good. I feel the challenge will be the middle hurdles when he may get jammed if not careful.

Rolling 30s were in the low 3.8-hi 3.7 range. Did 3x60, 3x60, 2x60 at 30+m, most runs were low 7.0x range, and a few more mid 6.9s.

Esti, you are doing a great job. I love hearing about your progress.
check this out just… I was looking at my diaries.
Monday December 9th 1991
my warm up was 600+300+100+100+100 ( that would have been within the first part of the warm up so not fast at all )
15 meters of all the drills
2 sets of 60 meter accelerations ( likely spikes by now)
4 x Running A drill ( you do a running A but hold the knee up each step briefly )
2 starts no hurdle with sound ( someone claps or we used to take two boards from the portable hurdles and clap them together)
2 starts with 1st hurdle with sound
2 starts with 2 hurdles
3 x 60 meter hurdles ( 7.76, 7…79, 7.98) = 2 personal bests in these runs )
warm down / then weights = pull downs 3 sets , Bench 3 sets
( I was competing in Windsor just after or just before xmas that year. )

Thank you for posting some of your training! Very interesting. I am curious how fast you got to working in a full 60m hurdles? I plan on adding 1 hurdle weekly through the first half of SPP, and then working those hurdles through the second half of SPP for indoor.

I just listened to the Behm interview about Aries’ training. They do no more than 4 all out hurdle runs on speed hurdle days. Coach felt his previous training doing around 7 runs was too much, and felt 4 was good. I thought this very interesting as it’s similar to a Charlie style program.

very impressive work ESTI!

Thanks!!!

This week, the school was closed, but we had access to a high school indoor facility, which is a small 3 lane track around the basketball court, good enough to get in 30-40m full out efforts.

The s-l is 30+ this week, so it worked well. We worked out to 3 hurdles. I video 60fps some runs and the first hurdle touchdown time is 2.55 from first movement, the same I use during meets (since I can’t always get the smoke in the camera view, I can be consistent with his effort and factor in reaction time later). Last year, his first race indoors at the end of march, he was at 2.55 to H1. So to have him do this in practice at end of December, there is some progress. His state finals from last year, he was at 2.47 to H1 in the finals. I feel in a meet environment, now, he runs low 2.4’s or faster.

30m block starts were run in the 3.8-3.9 range. A few years ago, a runner ran 3.8’s from blocks in our hallways and would later run 7.07. Being on a fairly springy track, he’s not quite there yet. I think he can still run sub 7.00 by the end of February.

The first meet is scheduled (weather permitting among other things) next Thursday. A 60H, a 60open, and possibly a 200. I will try my best to keep meets 10 days apart. The meets closest to us allow this schedule to happen.

He also looks like he can qualify for the New Balance indoor nationals in NYC Armory. If he runs sub 8.00, he qualifies. I think he is in 8.20 shape right now, we will see soon!

Workouts this week looked like this:

Warm-up
Hurdle drills
warm-up accels
3x30m standing
2x30m blocks
3x1 hurdle from blocks
3x2 hurdles from blocks
3x3 hurdles from blocks

All block starts were done with a clap to work on reaction.

Next week, we will do the 1/2 spacing drill working on quickness over hurdles. This was our bread and butter drill last season and really helped him get over hurdles quick.

I am assuming you are training with the hurdles low and pushed in?

We do warm up drills with lowered heights &1/2 spacing drill is at 36" (competition ht is 39".

He has tendency to get jammed in tight towards hurdle 5-7. I plan on changing spacing when we work on those distances.

Ange what would you recommend?

Mon 12/31

Today worked on block starts out to 30m. Electronically timed 4.03-4.07 on 4 runs. He looks to be in low 7 shape right now. I am very pleased.
Speed work was finished with 3 x 30+20 finish drills.

After looking at the video from last week, his arm action needed slight improvements to keep him more balanced on touchdown. This was the focus during warm-up drills.

We did 4 reps of 5 hurdles half spaced at 36" focusing on arm action.

Then finished with 3 runs over 2 hurdles 36" slightly spaced in to work on arm action.

Tomorrow and Wednesday will be Basement style tempo as we have too much snow to do tempo outdoors. Thursday, weather permitting, is a race.

Change nothing right now.
Let’s see how the competition goes on Thursday.
Easy on the tempo on Jan 1 esp. if it’s not normal running. That work can really sneak up on you. I would not change much or anything right now if that is what your athlete ( s) are used to.
I am not sure I would do much the day before a race expect a light and easy warm up with no real effort of any sort.
Where is the meet?

We run at Uni of Michigan Thursday. I will change the basement tempo. One of my rules is don’t change much of what you have been doing, as you said. Today is not the day to add something new. Thanks for the reminder!

This quote was 6 days ago. Today, Jan 3, he ran 60H in 8.14 and a 6.98! Both times look to be top 10 in the country currently.

I didn’t think he’d get to sub 7 so fast in the indoor season. Overall great day, with still a lot of room for hurdle improvement. He got in too close to hurdles 4 and 5, hitting both of them.

The plan is to still race every 10 days or so. Using this, he has 4 more meets before state finals.

He also qualified for the New Balance Indoor Nationals the beginning of march.

Our goal is 7.70 in the hurdles. I’m trying to see where we can drop nearly half second. Ange, any ideas where the time can be improved? I’ll put video link up this weekend. I video 60fps to analyze flight times and touchdown times. Typical flight times are around 0.31 seconds Early last spring, he was around 0.4. At some point, I don’t think we can get to 0.2. So the improvement has to be to the first hurdle, between them, and the finish.

The past 3 weeks have been long!

The runner had a few days where tightness led to stopped workouts. There was a small spasm and his muscles were slightly “tight” for him. He’s never been fully loose/ideally toned as Charlie and Waldemar might say. So I made time for him to get treatment from me, for free. Unfortunately, a week was wasted due to the parents.

After a few days wasted, I finally had to tell him to go see someone and pay them. Everyone go my point and he then made the next 4 times I had available, and the issue was resolved, but 3 weeks went by with minimal training.

In the process, he was invited to a national race, the Brooks PR Invitational in Seattle at the end of February. This certainly had him more motivated to get better.

Today, Jan 25, we started up training again. The plan for now has shifted away from the S-L progression and will work more on focusing through 30m of speed while getting quality hurdle work in. The focus is still increasing frequency between hurdles.

I took Ange’s advice and used a progression I feel went well, but time will tell. We start with 3 hurdles half spaced (5 yards) at 36" (39" is comp ht). We work on first touchdown to last touchdown times. Every few reps, I move the hurdles out 1 foot. We eventually got to 8 yards apart (10 yards is comp distance for those who don’t know). This moving of the hurdles out gradually looked to naturally put him into a nice shuffling stride needed to run sub 8.

We ended with 2 standing 30m (first at 85% effort, and second at 95% effort in a new workout best time). Then finished with 2x 60 30+m, again both records for that given distance and accel zone. Those 4 days I was able to really get his tone optimal and he know sees what it feels like.

The massage work was not easy. One thing I learned from Waldemar, and observed in watching Charlie work, was sometimes you might only work one muscle for an hour if it’s that tight. The first 2 sessions were 1 hour on each hamstring where I would started using techniques seen in the Taper video by Charlie. Sessions 3 was more a waldemar technique/shaking to loosen up hamstring, and then began to work on the quads, which were also tight, but no issues with them. Session 4 I finished one small spot on the hamstring and finishing the quads. He was obviously much too tight, and considering he ran 6.99 this way, says he has much, much more in him, but that isn’t the goal right now.

He is currently ranked #8 in the US for HS 60H times.

I’ve found time after time,
Free advise (or offers such as training or massage) are pointless
They don’t feel it’s worthy if it’s free.
They don’t feel guilty if they miss it
They don’t appreciate it, unless they pay for it.

There are loopholes in this, and require careful marketing or sales technique to individual persons.
An example (if you want to offer free massage to clients you already train)
Is, the cost of training already covers a weekly, or monthly massage, if you don’t show, you’ll miss out and will have to pay normal top dollar)

I normally offer massage as part of training, and say, sometimes we might start a session with 5 min massage, or end with 5 min massage, or, if you’re really bad, we’ll end up doing the entire session as massage. This can be challenging in groups…

Wow…you both should be proud, those Golden tickets are very very hard to come by! Congradulations!

I find your threads/posts very intersting and full of great information.

Bold,

I typically find time for my top runners each year. In 5 years, I’ve never had anyone do what happened in the past few weeks. I spend a considerable amount of time with my runners, and those married with kids, as you are, understand the tension that could result at home. Having been at this school in my 3rd year, most kids appear to feel what I do is “normal” for schools, in fact, it’s quite rare. Sometimes kids (and parents) may need a reminder of how fortunate they are to have me doing the things I do.

Esti
You are a dedicated coach.
I think you are doing a great job for these kids.
It’s pretty cool to follow your work.
Thanks for sharing with others so they might
learn as well.

Boldwarrior
I agree with you also but business is different than coaching in its purest form. Don’t you think?
Not everyone is cut out for some types of coaching . And not everyone
is cut out for what I feel might be compromises when money or business
might interfere with the performance aspect of sport. I have boarded many people
into my house , fed them , helped train them and at the end
of the day what satisfaction is there if I am not trying my absolute hardest
for the sake of performance? I’m less motivated by
money now than before but I enjoy seeing how information changes
people’s lives. I totally agree however with your comments as I think business organizes relationships within sport that really help the process of learning.
Esti , for sure I would hold hot and cold sessions administered
by me, enforcing each person do one to qualify for my messages. I’m certain Charlie
did not operate like this but he sure didn’t
like it when I didn’t do my bit to make his work
a bit easier.
Ultimately , I feel a long term successful coach athlete relationship must have some
mutual understanding of how the coach athlete relationship works successfully.
Esti, I think you get a great deal of satisfaction out of what you are doing. I don’t think it hurts
to be mindful of what motivates you to work so hard and ask yourself if you are getting what you need as a coach
out of your athletes.