Whey & Casein Suggestions

I’ve been using Optimum nutrition Whey ($6/lb. w/ shipping) and Grow ($13/lb. w/ shipping) and wanted to see what other people were using from blackstar labs for similar prices. They have alot of options so I don’t know which ones would be ideal. Suggestions?

I am a big fan of grow’s texture but I don’t train that hard to really need it besides being lean and wanting to stay 170 lbs…mitochondria stated that optimum whey’s antioxidant levels were off the norm. I would go hydro…

Yes, grow is the best quality protein I’ve ever used. Tastes great and mixes easily with coconut milk.

Hydro price seems pretty steep. Since I’m a nobody, I was thinking probably Immunowhey since it has Immunogrow.

Sorry DellDell but Syntrax Nectar is perhaps the best whey I have ever tasted and we just used it with our athletes…I used the pina colada flavor and I was giddy.

Another product I think has a great future is the ultimate fiber and colon care…for a 5 bucks I just think it’s great for athletes that are trying to loose bodyfat and can’t have yogurt.

I just made a morning strawberry daquri with this stuff and Blackstar’s hydro whey and it rocked…get it for the summer!

Essentially athletes need three protein sources:
1: Real Food
2: A Fast Protein - Whey Isolate
3: A Slower Protein - Casein

Of course just using fat with whey will also have a somewhat similar effect as Casein.

Currently for the above I use:
2: Sports Nutrition International
3: Low Carb Grow

But I will be changing these soon, I probably try and get these from the one source, so Blackstar would suit me best.

So I’m thinking maybe:

1. BSL’s Ultra Grade Hydrolyzed Whey or BSL ImmunoWhey
  2. BSL’s Micellar Casein

I haven’t tried these so I’d appreciate anyones thoughts on taste and mixability.

I have been extremely happy with Muscle Milk from Cytosport-

With the combination of casein micelles and their lean lipids.

Serving Size: 2 Scoops (75g)
Servings Per Container: - 15

Calories - 348 Calories from fat - 162

% Daily Value*
Total Fat - 18g 28%

Saturated Fat** - 8g 40%

Cholesterol - 3mg 1%

Sodium - 200mg 8%

Total Carbohydrates - 12g 4%

Dietary Fiber - <2g 8%

Sugars - 1g

Potassium - 595mg 17%

Protein - 32g 64%

Ingredients: EVOPRO™ Our custom evolution-based protein, peptide and amino acid matrix designed to closely reflect the nitrogen components and ratios found in human mother’s milk (Micellar Alpha and Beta Caseins and Caseinates, Whey Concentrates rich in Alpha-Lactalbumin, Whey Isolates, Whey Peptides, Purified Bovine Colostrum Extract rich in Secretory IgA and IGF-1, Glutamine Peptides, L-Taurine, Lactoferrin). LEAN-Lipids™ Lipid complex selected for thermogenic and unique energy properties (Canola Oil, Enzyme Engineered Polyunsaturated Long-Chain Vegetable Oils, MCTs, L-Carnitine), cocoa powder, maltodextrin, CYTOVITE I™ Vitamin and mineral premix consisting of (vitamin A acetate, cholecalciferol, d-alpha-tocopherol acetate, ascorbic acid, folate, thiamine monohydrate, riboflavin, niacinamide, pyridoxine HCL, cyanocobalamin, biotin, pantothenic acid, di-calcium phosphate, potassium iodide, potassium chloride, ferrous fumerate, magnesium oxide, copper gluconate, and zinc oxide), gum arabic, Creatine GCC, our proprietary, endogenous creatine precursor (glutamine, betaine anhydrous, SAMe [S-Adenosylmethionine]), natural and artificial flavors, lecithin, sucralose.

From a variety of internet sites-

You can get 2.48 lbs of Muscle Milk for $25 USD.

Thanks for that Tom, I’ll check it out.

You can get immunogro with the hydro whey if you want. With micellar casein/immunogro mixability isn’t really as good as GROW! if you’re doing it with a spoon but it’s just 5s extra stirring so it doesn’t matter much.

If you do a search for EvoPro on google you should come up with a site that sells it for <$20, that way you get their protein blend without paying for carbs/fat, seems like a better deal to me.

MK

Will do too. Cheers.

A European Supplier would be best, we get screwed on the shipping to Europe from the US if we order from US companies.

sorry, just checked it out and it’s wholesalersuperstore.com

For example … just checked Bodybuilding.com

They sell Evopro for $29.65 and shipping is $17.99 !!! for only 1 tub!
Total $47.54

2 Tubs sell for 59.10 but Shipping is 29.99!!!
That’s the cost of another whole tub!!!
So the whole thing would be $89.09 USD … too much for 2 tubs of protein I’m afraid.

Thanks mkbc, unfortunately they have no facility for shipping to Europe.
:frowning:

And LC Grow! form Biotest … this gets better …
$23.00 for a tub

… and $35.00 for shipping !!!

$58 for a bloody tub of protein.

Just as well I only use powders ocasionally!

There are a ton of ingredients in this product i am not familiar with, is muscle milk ok for athletes who have to worry about clearing NCAA tests? What brands should generally be avoided becides muscletech?

There are not any ingredients in muscle milk that are banned by any sports organization.

And for that matter Cytosport manufactures their products in-house and do not produce any prohormone products.

I’m just curious that what’s wrong with muscletech? I think Herb or someone said something about them, but I don’t recall what it was.

Mixing and packaging are far different from manufacture. Problems can occure along the way. Get raw product in that is contaminated, well then it is is bad from the start. Common protocol is tesing the raw material for mold and active ingredients prior to packaging, not contamination. Retainer samples should be drawn during production and another test should be done on these as well to confirm uniform mixing and yet again for mold. That is typically all that is done.

Quite a few companies however contract out the packaging, virtually all purchase raw materials of some sort from somebody else. Many, many things can go horribly wrong at this point, even if the factory is GMP certified. Let’s say the machine next in line is producing methyl one test caps, a super popular item, and your vitamins are being encapsulated at the same time. Although the likelihood of any volume of cross contamination would occur is low, it is still a concern. Or even worse, what if someone doesn’t sufficiently clean the machine and your vitamin is produced next in line in the same machine. You take that vitamin with breakfast and have to submit a random urinalysis unexpected a couple hours later or the next day. This could create a problem, as what is the proposed scenerio with Muscletech products.

As the volume of product produced increases, the worry obviously becomes reduced. But then how do we explain the positive results for so many products to be containing contaminated levels of prohormones that would be sufficient to create a positive test if taken following typical dosing?

And after prohormones the problem will probably become more worrisome, not less. I have a theory on this and it involves a reduction in production houses therefore increasing the risk of cross contamination by other products. In other words contractors will have less places to turn to for clean production. My most fearfull products are over the counter medicines. Factories that have specialized in such products have the strongest hold on the market and will survive any assault on the nutritional industry.