US TITLES -22Jun03-JOHN SMITH ORDERS GREENE OUT OF 200M FINAL.

by Greg Heakes

PALO ALTO, California, June 22 (AFP) - Maurice Greenepulled out of the 200 metres, ending his bid for a WorldChampionship sprint double, while Darvis Patton capturedthe crown Sunday at the United States AthleticsChampionships.
Greene’s bid to double in the 100m and 200m at theWorld Championships in August at Paris was derailed by anagging knee injury.
I am disappointed,'' said Greene, a former world200m champion. I never want to start something andthen not finish it. I feel like my job here is notcomplete.’’
Patton, second in the event last year, won in20.15secs, defeating 2000 Olympic trials winner JohnCapel by .02 of a second with J.J. Johnson third in 20.22. All three qualified for the World Championships.
As reigning world champion, Greene had an automaticplace in the 100 metres but wanted to qualify for the200 as well.
Greene is suffering from tendonitis in right knee. Itis something he has had to contend with all year. Healso drew the unpopular lane one in both the semis andthe final.
Greene said the decision to pull out was made by hiscoach, John Smith.
It was my decision,'' said Smith. He has beendealing with the knee all year long. Then we drew laneone. When he runs on the turn, it tweaks him.’’
Greene, the reigning 100m world champion, finishedfourth in his semi-final heat in 20.44. Greene waslimping on the track after the semi-final.
It was more important for us to let this go and getit back in the worlds,'' said Smith. Patton, 23, was the top-ranked US 200m runner lastyear but this is his first US title. On the women's side, Kelli White added a victory inthe 200m on Sunday to her 100m win on Friday. Whiteposted personal bests in both wins. White clocked 22.21 and Torri Edwards was therunner-up in 22.45. High school phenom Allyson Felix wasthird (22.56) after suffering a hamstring injury with 50metres to go in the semi-finals. It came out of nowhere,’’ Felix said of the injury.The race didn't go as I had planned.'' White, 22, cried at the finish line. She said latershe almost sat out this season because of a string ofinjuries. I am excited,’’ said White. I wanted to come inhere and double. I wanted this so badly. I had tears ofjoy instead of tears of pain like last year when I hurtmy foot.'' Felix, who missed the 100m here because she wasattending her high school graduation ceremonies, managedto qualify for her first worlds. She edged 2001 USindoor 200m champ LaTasha Jenkins. Eric Thomas, who finished third in the US nationalslast year, won the men's 400m hurdles in 48.76. I was trying hard and I didn’t care what place Ifinished I just wanted to make this team. I want one ofthose medals at the world championships,’’ said Thomas.
Bershawn Jackson, who has the fastest American time inthe world this year at 48.51, finished second in 49.01and last year’s runner-up Joey Woody crossed the finishline in 49.22.
Woody edged hard-charging James Carter byone-hundredth of a second for the final 400m hurdlesspot on Team USA at the worlds.
David Krummanaker won the 800m in 1min 45.53secs andwill try to add a world outdoor crown to his indoorworld championship from earlier this year.
Gail Devers, 36, won her ninth national championshipin the 100m hurdles to go with her third place finish inFriday’s 100m. She will double in both events at theworlds.
It has been a tough four days,'' said Devers. I amfortunate to have made it in the 100 and the hurdles andI plan to represent the US very well.’’