UKA's Funding Details

Collins names six Scots as new programme is launched

DOUG GILLON October 26 2006

Weather

• please select - Aberdeen Aviemore Campbeltown Dumfries Dunbar Dundee Edinburgh Falkirk Fort William Glasgow Hawick Inverness Kilmarnock Kirkwall Lerwick Oban Peebles Perth Portree St Andrews Stirling Stranraer Thurso Tiree Ullapool

Six Scots were among 117 competitors named yesterday by Dave Collins, the UK Athletics performance director, in the first action following a sweeping reappraisal of elite athlete support, writes Doug Gillon.

It marks the establishment of a one-stop funding shop. UKA has taken sole control of competitors who were formerly funded through UK Sport and serviced via the Scottish Institute of Sport and their counterparts elsewhere in Britain.

There are just two Scots, Kathy Butler (marathon) and the 400 metres hurdler, Lee McConnell, among the 37 athletes on the world-class podium programme.

There are a further four among 72 on world class development: Chris Baillie, Allan Scott, Susan Scott and James Campbell. They have all been transferred into this programme from the SIS.

A further 100 or so names, on a “talent” level, which Collins says will include more Scots, is to be announced today.

“Podium” means those capable of being Olympic or world medallists within two years. “Development” means capable of reaching that level in two to six years.

Those on the “podium” A standard receive £23,950 per year. B is worth £17,948 and C £11,965. There will be a 2.9% inflation rise from April.

UK Sport control the criteria for A and B level funding, the former being for current Olympic and world medallists only, and the latter top eight in a final.

A further eight athletes are being funded directly by UKA, like triple jumper Ashia Hansen, to see if they can regain former glories.

“The object is to keep everyone involved on the programme accountable,” said Collins.

UKA announce lottery funded athletes
Michael Rimmer has been promoted to World Class Podium Following a lengthy appraisal process, 37 athletes have been selected to receive World Class Podium funding, whilst a further 72 athletes will receive support as part of the World Class Development programme.

Whilst the 37 athletes marks a small reduction from last year’s list of 42, UK Athletics Performance Director Dave Collins says that this room to manoeuvre gives performance staff further leeway to add athletes later in the year.

“There can be a temptation to fill every available space on a funding programme. However the choice of athletes afford us the opportunity for additions later on in the year, as well as a certain amount of flexibility.

“We have also taken care not to accelerate younger athletes to Podium status before they are genuinely performing at that level, especially when they are ably supported under the World Class Development programme.

“In addition, the programme continues to ensure that the athletes being supported are those with the right processes and remain accountable – therefore some have been funded on the basis that this support will be further reviewed in 6 months time.

“Finally to assist those who do not fall into a category whereby they can receive support from the World Class programme, UK Athletics will seek to provide a support package to athletes where they can still make a contribution towards the aim of podium and top eight performance at a world or Olympic level e.g. selected relay athletes.”

World Class Podium

Five athletes are promoted to World Class Podium funding following excellent performances during the 2006 season. Mo Farah (5000m), Becky Lyne (800m), Michael Rimmer (800m), Sam Ellis (800m) and Mara Yamauchi (Marathon) all make the step up to join the other 32 athletes on the highest support programme.

Tim Benjamin, 24, 400 & 4x400

Jon Brown, 35, Marathon

Kathy Butler 32, Marathon

Tasha Danvers Smith, 29, 400H

Malachi Davis, 29, 4x400

Marlon Devonish, 30, 200 & 4x100

Nathan Douglas, 23, Triple Jump

Michael East, 28, 1500m

Sam Ellis, 24, 800m

Jessica Ennis, 20, Heptathlon

Mo Farah, 23, 5k

Donna Fraser, 33, 400 & 4x400

Jason Gardener, 31, 100 & 4x100

Graham Hedman, 27, 4x400

Phillips Idowu, 27, Triple Jump

Jade Johnson, 26, Long Jump

Mark Lewis Francis, 24, 100 & 4x100

Rebecca Lyne, 24, 800m / 1500m

Dean Macey, 28, Decathlon

Christian Malcolm, 27, 200 & 4x100

Germaine Mason, 23, HJ

Lee McConnell, 28, 4x400

Nick McCormick, 25,1500m/5k

Abi Oyepitan, 26, 100/200

Jo Pavey, 33, 5k

Paula Radcliffe, 32, Marathon

Michael Rimmer, 20, 800m

Martyn Rooney, 19, 400 & 4x400

Greg Rutherford, 19, Long Jump

Nicola Sanders, 24, 400 & 4x400

Goldie Sayers, 24, Javelin

Kelly Sotherton, 29, Heptathlon

Rob Tobin, 22, 400 & 4x400

Chris Tomlinson, 25, Long Jump

Andy Turner, 26, 110H

Rhys Williams, 22, 400H & 4x400

Mara Yamauchi, 33, Marathon

World Class Development

Eight athletes transfer from home country funding packages to join the UK-wide World Class Pathway. They are Amanda Pritchard (800m), David Greene (400mH), Jimmy Watkins (800m) and Stephen Davies - all Formerly Elite Cymru, and Chris Baillie (110mH), Allan Scott (110mH), Susan Scott (800m) and James Campbell (Javelin) - formerly Scottish Institute of Sport.

British Athletics Writers junior female of the year Sian Edwards (5000m), leads a group of eight youngsters who impressed at the World Junior Championships in Beijing, onto World Class Development. Those joining Edwards in the promotion from World class Talent include Luke Cutts (Pole Vault), Gianni Frankis (110mH), Zara Hohn (100mH), Vikki Hubbard (High Jump), Emma Jackson (800m), Steph Pywell (High Jump) and Steph Twell (1500m). Richard Strachan (400m) – the only World Class Talent athlete to be selected for this year’s European Championships in Gothenburg, is promoted up to World Class Development.

Additionally, Emma Duck is rewarded for her excellent 2006 season where she made significant progress over the 400mH and was a key part of the women’s 4x400m relay squad, with a place on the World Class Development programme.

Harry Aikines-Aryeetey, 18, 100m

Andy Baddeley, 24, 1500

Chris Baillie, 25, 110mh

Grant Baker, 19, 400

Danielle Barnes, 21, 1500

Wade Bennett-Jackson, 19, 100/200m

Martyn Bernard, 21, High Jump

Richard Buck, 20, 400

James Campbell, 18, Javelin

Helen Clitheroe, 32, 3k s/c

Luke Cutts, 18, Pole Vault

Stephen Davies, 22, 1500m

Kate Dennison, 22, Pole Vault

Ryan Dinham, 21, 400mH

Lisa Dobriskey, 22, 1500m

Emma Duck, 25, 400mH

Sian Edwards, 17, 3k 5k

Somto Eruchie, 20, 200m

Steve Fennell, 20, 800

Rikki Fifton, 21, 100/200m

Laura Finucane, 20, 800

Gianni Frankis, 18, 110m H

Dale Garland, 25, 400mH

Robbie Grabarz, 19, High Jump

David Greene, 21, 400mH

Lizzie Hall, 21, 3000mSC

Karen Harewood, 31, 800

Amy Harris, 19, Long Jump

Louise Hazel, 21, Heptathlon

Keith Higham, 20, Pole Vault

Richard Hill, 21, 800m

Zara Hohn, 19, 100mh

Sarah Holt, 19, Hammer

Vikki Hubbard, 17, High Jump

David Hughes, 22, 110mH

Emma Jackson, 18, 800m

Matthew Lambley, 19, Hammer

Tom Lancashire, 21, 800m / 1500m

Steve Lewis, 20, Pole Vault

Colin McCourt, 22, 1500m

James McIlroy, 29, 800m

Jonathan Moore , 22, Long Jump

Chris Mulvaney, 25, 1500m

Alex Nelson, 18, 100m / 200m

Ashlee Nelson, 15, 100m / 200m

Marilyn Okoro, 22, 800m

Anyika Onuora, 21, 100m / 200m

Tom Parsons, 22, High Jump

Craig Pickering, 20, 100

Amanda Pritchard, 26, 800m

Stephanie Pywell, 19, High Jump

Lucy Sargent, 18, 100/200m

Adam Scarr, 21, High Jump

Susan Scott, 28, 800m

Alan Scott, 23, 110mH

Steve Shalders, 24, Triple Jump

William Sharman, 22, 110H

Jemma Simpson, 22, 800

Alex Smith, 18, Hammer

Ricky Soos, 23, 800m

Andrew Staniland, 19, Long Jump

Richard Strachan, 19, 400m

Jade Surman, 17, Heptathlon

Julian Thomas, 19, 100m / 200m

Chris Thompson, 25, 5000m

Laura Turner, 24, 100/200

Stephanie Twell, 17, 1500m

Chris Warburton, 23, 1500

Jimmy Watkins, 23, 800m

Abby Westley, 19, 800/1500

Simeon Williamson, 20, 100/200

Katrina Wootton, 21, 1500m

UK Athletics Associate Athlete support

The following athletes will receive support direct from UK Athletics for 2006-07:

Chris Lambert, 25, 200 & 4x100

Montell Douglas, 26, 100 4x100

Emily Freeman, 25, 200/4x100

Joice Maduaka, 33, 100 & 4x100

Jenny Meadows, 25, 800m 4x400

Jo Fenn, 32, 800m

Helen Karagounis, 25, 400

Ashia Hansen, 34, Triple Jump

http://www.ukathletics.net/press-centre/news-archive/september/article-95/

Some people are lucky to be on that list. Others are unlucky not to be on it.

Let’s have the names.

The list stinks of desperation collins and his “we want medals at all cost” hence the high number of relay runners. So its official Britain is no better than looking for medals in relays as most of these guys dont individually make the stupid standards that have been set.

No knowing most of the guys on the list.
what is Donna fraser doing on the list, she has been supported for a long while with no world class results.

you have 2 400m runners on the list, one that ran 47.3 this year the other 45.9, both made the list because they are in the 4x4 relay team.
Can someone please confirm that these times are not world class.

what a mess…

What’s wrong with relay medals?? That’s where you start when you’re in the shit (excuse me, rebuilding). And even if you aren’t you need to go for the relays and every medal out there- and every place in every event!!

My recipe :

Don`t provide funding until the age of 20. The discipline of further education/work for a couple of years filters out the non triers.

Provide funding for no more than 5 years. After that the athlete has either made it or not. If they have made it they are making a living out of grand prixs, sponsorship etc. if not - they can juggle a job with their athletics, its their choice.

I was astonished when watching a number of the European meets on TV this summer to see virtually no British athletes in any events. It seemed to me like an amazing drop has happened in the last few years. Why are they not out there competing and earning a living.

Finally, look at some of the names in the list above. Never one anything and never will. Will not even make semis or finals or get a good place in a grand prix.
By the way, British Road running clubs like mine are just about to be asked to increase their subscriptions to UKA by a factor of 5 !! What a load of ****. UK athletics is becoming like tennis - loads of money, lots of employess and no output.

Oh for the days of Daley Thompson (trained twice a day on xmas), Brendan Foster (ran to work), etc etc. No funding, just talent and hard work.

I’d like the opinion of a few people (preferably full time athletes or coaches of full time atheltes) on what they think a reasonable level of funding is. For me funding should be enough to pay for you to train full time - thats it.

Now in the UK they have a system where as you go up to podium level you get more money. In england you can easily live on £10,000 a year (maybe more if you live in london) if you are getting track/gym/coaching paid for you and are training 5-6 days a week. But the top level of funding is around £24,000.

Now the better you get the more money you make (off of sponsorship deals, appearance fees, winnings etc). In this respect i don’t see why the top athletes need a higher level of funding since all massage/physio/doctor etc is paid already. Why not split that £24,000 and spend it on 2 athletes?

Could people give counter arguements to this. Why should top athletes get more money from the governing body (which essentially becomes spending money)?

Thanks,

TC

Why five years if it takes seven years to reach the top?

Why 20 when development age is so varied?

Are British athletes missing from televised Euro meets because of commitments they’re forced into at home?

Have international performance levels, and therefore support needs, remained static since the days of Thompson and Foster?

The 7 years should start in the mid to late teens. Most really top class athletes have annouced their arrival by around age of 24. Those teen years do not require an athletics wage.

20 -25 years of age since this is when people need most assistance. By that age they are less likely to be funded by mum and dad. Some also lose the advantages of early physical maturity so you can see at that time who is more likely to make it.

Are they missing because of committments at home ? I would say no. There are usually 1 or max 2 championship qualifiers they need to attend in order to be selected for major championships. If they want regular competition the grand prix circuit (correctly selected) offers the chance to check race fitness, strategies etc. By the way few compete regularly for their clubs either - so what are they doing ???

International standards have moved on - much of British athletics has not. Mens distance running is the best example. Our men are running at levels that are inferior in both absolute and relative terms. Yes there are a load of really good Africans now and I can understand dropping down the rankings due to that. But our runners are actually slower than Coe, Ovett, Cram. Only 1 guy has got anywhere near Dave Moorcrofts 5000 record. As for the marathon, Steve Jones and others are still faster than the current crop. I could go on …

• Extra funding seems to have had no benefit.

Don`t take this as anti funding. I just despair at some of the names in the list. And see little correlation between funding and achievement.

i was thinking of the athlete’s commitment form I saw last year.

Charlie,

There is nothing wrong with relay but there is where the problem is. Untill DC sorts out where youngs athletes are not contineously providing then we would always have athletes that just want to make the team for relay purposes - and I have heard on a lot of these guys are like that.

As has been mentioned on this site a numbers of times Britain does not have that many good coaches. Should that issue needs to be resolved. The few that are good are having to learn of their own accord and on a british forum I read that it looks DC/UKA have employed the coaches that currently coach the athletes that they thinks can get the medals instead of coaches that can contineously produce more world class athletes. This particular thread also said a lot of these guys dont know how they made their current athletes run fast. So what is the progression in that I ask.

DC might say he has solved the problem by employing the likes of Linford but please if he is not coaching anyone then where is the progress in that.

Yes you can start kids young but what progression process are they following?

Well some are competing regularly at home and abroad. Some are recovering from injuries and some get injured as soon as they start to pick up speed then take most of the competative season off and return for the major champs to qualify.

GB now has some of the best setup and support in the world. We are the envy of those who come to train here. The facilities are in place now the rest of it needs sorting out.

I don’t agree that you can ‘easily’ live on £10,000 a year in the UK, not if you have a mortgage/rent to pay.

But then again I don’t think funding is the answer. I think part of the answer is to get the correct coaching to enable the athletes to earn their living without funding, as in the “good old days” eg from being good enough to win prize money, compete in the big european grand prix and be good enough to earn sponsorship.

These are good points.

Regarding the £10,000 - with a morgage this is an issue but otherwise it should be possible as i know 5 funded atheletes doing it at the moment + students seem to manage it every year. Perhaps it would be hard if you were already used to a salary but most youngsters coming from uni or living at home will manage. Note that most of the people on funding of £12,000 have shoe contracts worth about 8-10,000 anyway so they shouldn’t have any problems.

Just to add to your points, if the athlete had the all important DESIRE to be the best, then they would be willing to live on £10K initially.

Thats my point. Provide funding for long enough for someone to get to the point of being self supporting. That is my 20-25 year age range. After that it is up to their performance. The athletes subsidised` in their late 20s and 30s in this list should be at that stage by now. If not, its their decision to live on a relatively small amount to chase their dream, or get a job…

it does not matter how much they make , I can tell you from reports in the papers today the A category totalled up to about £75,000 in package.

Your point about self supporting is good. A lot of young people that have being cut are really at the stage where they really need the help to be able to make world class. But UKA does not see it like that if they dont think you can get them a medal then no show.

how easy do you think that is??
it is not as straight forawrd as finding a good coach who will make you a superstar and earn yuo money on the circuit!! Even with sopnsorship and the rest unless your top15 in the world you will NOT earn enough to live and train like an elite athlete without funding

John G,

This brings home a good point that perhaps you would like to consider in your model of withdrawing funding after 25. Pehaps it is possible in temrs of actual money but the athelete still needs access to physio, massage and track etc… Should these be taken away as well?