gay must of not been feeling his best due to all the 100m racing and 200m rounds. I think bolt almost beat him over the first 100 lol.

Absolutely loved Bolt. The guy is awesome. Great 200. What a great race. Wow I really enjoyed a lot of the races at these championships. And we still have the 400m. mens final coming up. Whew. Can’t wait to see what type of performance Wariner puts on.

How much does everyone think Bolt can run in the flat 100? I’m truly astonished at his bends, the guy is burning up those first 100m. in every round he raced. He’s probably worth under 9.90. :eek:

Didn’t Bolt run 10.09 this year?

As many already have said, give him another 2-3 years under a good coach and Bolt will be unbeatable.

Isn’t his coach already good enough? How about it we give Bolt and his present coach a few years then he will be unbeatable?

Isn’t his coach already good enough? How about it we give Bolt and his present coach a few years then he will be unbeatable?

I am not sure who Bolt’s coach is nor I have judged his coach in any way. I have said “a coach” because I do not know who coaches him now. One person or a team? That’s all.

So far he/they have done a great job with him whoever it/they is/are.

Agreed he is a PHENOMINAL talent ,but as for the coaching it’s hard to say. This is guy who ran 19.93 when he was 17!

Tyson Gays bend in the final looked much slower than usual. Interesting to see the splits. Even in the front on view coming off the bend he looked much slower/flatter.

He was probably just a wee-bit tired from running 8 races in 6 days.

Gay - too tired even to celebrate

31 August 2007, Osaka, Japan – Tyson Gay ran the fastest aggregate sprint of any double winner at an Olympic Games or World Championships here last night but the United States athlete declined the chance to say he is the best combination runner in history.

“I would not say that,” Gay said, asked if he was the greatest 100/200m sprinter of all time. “In order to be the greatest 100/200 all time you have to do it over and over and even do it indoors.”

Gay’s combined time adds up to 29.61, beating the previous quickest at a World Championships, by Maurice Greene in Seville in 1999 (29.70), and the fastest at an Olympics, by Carl Lewis in Los Angeles in 1984 (29.79).

Already quickest combination sprinter on career best times (9.84/19.62), Gay recorded a championship record 19.76 to add the 200m title to the 100m he had won four days earlier. Now he will chase a third gold medal in the 4 x 100m relay beginning this evening.

But becoming the 11th athlete to take the 100/200m double at an Olympic Games or World Championships has left the 25-year-old Gay exhausted. Admitting that his 200m celebrations on the track had been more subdued than his reaction to his 100m victory, he explained: “I am extremely tired. I couldn’t think of nothing, couldn’t put my arms up to celebrate, couldn’t really jog on my victory lap. I don’t think I am going to run the prelims (of the 4 x 100m) unless they need me.”

Gay’s second gold medal meant more to him than his first, given his international championship history at the event – he failed to finish the 200m at the 2004 US Olympic trials and narrowly missed a medal – he was fourth – at the 2005 World Championships in Helsinki.

“Probably the 200 (means more),” Gay said. “The 100 took a lot of focus but I have never won the 200 on the major stage and to come back with the victory after not getting a medal in the 200 in Helsinki feels great.

“I done it for my coach (Lance Brauman), Jon Drummond, my family, God – and I just came out with the victory and it feels great.” Brauman was unable to attend these championships while serving a prison sentence for fraud and Drummond, winner of 4 x 100m World Championships relay gold medals in 1993 and 1999, has been working as Gay’s technical adviser.

Gay admitted that Usain Bolt, who took the silver medal for Jamaica in 19.91, had scared him. Bolt had led Gay coming into the straight. “He shocked me,” Gay said. “I was slightly frightened coming off the curve and to see him winning – I am not used to that.

“I am not used to not coming off the curve first and winning, so that just showed that I have a lot of strength and put in a lot of hard work to come back. Coming off the turn I am used to being first.and I thought that was going to be the outcome tonight but it wasn’t - Usain Bolt beside me put on a terrific performance.

“I tried to run as hard as I could but I still could not come off the curve first and I thought there was something wrong with the picture (on the screen in the stadium). I normally don’t catch anyone if I don’t come off the curve first. I was hoping he was going to crack. I was a little nervous, but I just tried to work on my form and relax.”

SURELY HE DOESN’T MEAN HE WAS LOOKING AT THE SCREEN MID RACE? :eek:
David Powell for the IAAF

100/200 combination winners

At World Championships
Maurice Greene, United States (1999 - 9.80/19.90)
Justin Gatlin, United States (2005 – 9.88/20.04)
Tyson Gay, United States (2007 – 9.85/19.76)

At Olympic Games
Archie Hahn, United States (1904 - 11.0/21.6)
Ralf Craig, United States (1912 - 10.8/21.7)
Percy Williams, Canada (19.28 - 10.8/21.8)
Eddie Tolan, United States (1932 – 10.38/21.12)
Jesse Owens, United States (1936 – 10.3w/10.7)
Bobby Morrow, United States (1956 – 10.62/20.75)
Valeriy Borzov, Soviet Union (1972 – 10.14/20.00)
Carl Lewis, United States (1984 – 9.99/19.80)

http://osaka2007.iaaf.org/news/kind=2/newsid=41191.html#gay+tired+even+celebrate

By Talek Harris
OSAKA, Japan, Aug 31 AFP - Newly crowned US sprint king Tyson Gay says Michael Johnson’s long-standing 200 metres record is breakable'' after charging to a rare world double. Gay stormed to 19.76 seconds on the Osaka track, lowering track legend Johnson's 1995 championships mark, as he outstripped Jamaica's Usain Bolt and left close friend Wallace Spearmon for dust. Afterwards Gay, who had already claimed the 100m title, said Johnson's eight-year-old world record of 19.32 was within his grasp. I beat the meet record of Michael Johnson and that is a great feeling because he is also one of my idols. I believe it is possible to beat his world record, but I have to build up more strength,’’ he said.
Gay, 25, inched towards Johnson’s mark when he ran 19.62 in June, the second fastest 200m ever seen. His comments raise anticipation of a record-breaking performance at next year’s Beijing Olympics.
The Kentucky native claimed only the third 100-200 sprint double after Maurice Greene in 1999 and the disgraced Justin Gatlin in 2005. He can emulate Greene and the great Carl Lewis by claiming a third gold in the 4x100m relay.
The 200 metres was just about believing in God that he would give me the strength,'' he said. I have two golds and I want the third in relay.’’
Gay got off to his usual slow start but thundered into contention on the bend before accelerating down the straight, leaving his rivals shaking their heads in disbelief.
Tyson is an animal on that turn. I wanted to run the turn harder and it just didn't work. Maybe it's not for me,'' said a disappointed Spearmon. I got a medal, so it’s like a pat on the back, but it feels like a spit in the face. I know I can run as fast as they did, but I guess you’ll see it later. Tyson is the man to beat. Hands down, he just proved it.’’
Jamaican record-holder Bolt, who surrendered a brief lead on the turn, said Gay was simply unbeatable.'' I tried hard, but for the moment he is unbeatable. I’m proud of myself to get the silver for Jamaica. Hey, I’m one of the best in the world, that is not small,’’ said Bolt.
Gay finished an agonising fourth behind three US team-mates in 2005.
But he has been sensational this season, blasting to the fastest sprint combination in history after timing 9.84 and 19.62 within two days of each other in June.
Gay’s achievements this season are all the more remarkable since his coach, Lance Brauman, has been in prison, sending training schedules and advice from behind bars.
Gay dedicated the win to Brauman, who was released on Tuesday after serving a year and a day for embezzlement and mail fraud.
He sent me a text message,'' Gay said of Brauman. I will see my coach in few weeks’ time, I don’t know when exactly.’’

Still I do not understand why Gay should be considered the fastest ever on 100/200…they give me season rankings, and I agree…performances in the same year, and I agree…but overall?’?MJ is still 29"41 aganst his 29"46

but surely over the shorter distance it is harder to improve your time? for example, over a 100m race, a margin of .2s is fairly large at the elite level (9.8s vs 10.00s), whereas over 800m it’s actually quite a close finish. that suggests to me that the shorter the race is the more significant the time difference must be.

so to apply that to gay and johnson, there is .05s between them in accumulated time, but MJ’s lead over gay in the 200m is .3s, while gay’s lead in the 100m is .25s. if you ask me, the lead that gay has established over the 100m is more significant than the lead MJ has in the 200m.

anyway, it’s like comparing apples to oranges. MJ didn’t really focus on the 100m, and if he did it is likely that he would have gone a fair bit faster than his eventual PB. his main races were 200/400. and likewise, gay doesn’t focus on the 400m.

I think what I’m trying to say is, it’s a very subjective argument. certainly not as simple as just adding up the times and seeing who has the lower number…

Just for the record I believe Bolt is coached by Glen Mills and ran a 10.03 earlier this season.

To establish the greatest is subjective…to say he is the best 100 200 x time / y time is objective, simple addiction…

addiction?

“Still I do not understand why Gay should be considered the fastest ever on 100/200”

that is the part of your post I was responding to.
it appeared to me that you were using the numbers to justify the argument that MJ is greater than gay…

(not that I’m saying he isn’t)

Why would you use that as the equation? The 200 is counted twice as much as the 100 in that equation. Why not (100x2)+200 or better yet, a scoring table?

Yeah that’s an interesting way of assessing it. I would argue it’s a unnecessary stat and people just use things like that to suggest the sort of level someone has attained. In reality there are no prizes for being the best ‘doubler’ or combination sprinter or whatever.

what about usain bolt hanging with gay, best curve runner in 200m sprinting ever, for the first 100m. I had gay 10.00 flat maybe even lower on his 47th stride where he always hits the 100m mark in his 200 runs, like clock-work. As for Bolt, i had him at around 10.0X- 10.10(at the very least).

I realize speed is specific and all that, but might this suggest with more specific work like first 30m drive and transition work to 60m that bolt will be high 9.8X to low 9.9X range material.

Lastly I noticed with Gay that in his fastest 200m races(sub 19.80) that he is very relaxed. The relaxation demonstrated in these runs is very similar to the relaxaton showed by Powell in the majority of his sub 10 races to date.

This I observed from the front on head shots(Lausanne07 19.78, Osaka07 19.76). Whereas in his fast 100 races from the latest head on shot(Osaka07 9.85) he appears to be alot tighter/less relaxed in the face and neck.

When they say he’s the fastest combo they mean 6th (100m) and 2nd (200m) all time it has nothing to do with times. Frankie was 10th/2nd until last season, and he was the fastest combo athlete. :confused: MJ is 1st and 100+ :rolleyes:

It LOOKED slower because Bolt was in there this time…
IMO i thought Gay would caught him earlier, but then i forgot about his 10.03…
Glenn Mills coaches Bolt btw…