South Africa receive belated gold medal

South Africa’s 4x100m relay team at the 2001 world championships have been belatedly awarded the gold medal after initial winners the United States were disqualified, Athletics South Africa said.

South Africa’s quartet of Morne Nagel, Corne du Plessis, Lee-Roy Newton and Mathew Quinn were surprise silver medallists in Edmonton, Canada behind the favoured Americans who were disqualified following Tim Montgomery’s infringement.

The South Africa team was honoured with the gold medals at a function in Johannesburg on Tuesday.

Montgomery was stripped of his medal by the International Amateur Athletics Federation (IAAF) last year having been handed a two-year ban. .

Source: REUTERS

5yrs later!! Who really cares? i doube the americans do, they had their glory in the spotlight. Would south africa care? They know they came 2nd, and many yrs later get the 1st. If it was me, i would be like , “ey?”

One reason they would be pleased has alot to do with a little thing called $$$$$ from their federations.

The Australian team of Matthew Shirvington,
Paul Di Bella, Steve Brimacombe
and Adam Basil were promoted to 3rd and also benefited financially from this.

What? they get $$ now? who gives them this $$? What if they are no longer running, do they still get the $$?

yes, of course. the question is how much longer will they have to wait for $ome.