"Safe" Supplements Initiative

Thought this was quite interesting.

Aussie Bodies first in scheme for athletes
JUNE 2003
Aussie Bodies has become the first protein supplements company to have a product listed as being free of banned substances following independent testing by the Australian Government Analytical Laboratories (AGAL).
Aussie Bodies recently submitted a batch of its Perfect Protein to AGAL for voluntary testing under the Supplement Information Scheme. The scheme, which was launched earlier this year, allows supplement manufacturers to have the content of their products independently analysed and verified.
The Scheme exists to provide athletes with an independent verification that a particular supplement does not contain illegal substances, as identified by the International Olympic Committee in its List of Prohibited Substances.
It provides as much information as possible about the sports supplements, medications and other substances athletes may be using and is jointly administered by the Australian Sports Drug Agency (ASDA), the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS) and the Australian Government Analytical Laboratories (AGAL).
The results of supplement product analysis is published on ASDA’s website in a Supplement Product Information Database.
Acceptance into the Scheme provides athletes with an indication that those supplements have been independently tested and that the company that produces them is willing to provide written guarantees verifying the absence of banned performance enhancing substances within their products, as well as the authenticity of their product’s ingredients.
The introduction of the scheme is recognition that athletes are seeking further information regarding the status and doping safety of their supplement products.
Many athletes, including Australian Olympic Weightlifter and Commonwealth Games Gold Medallist Damian Brown see the scheme as evidence that supplements play a vital role in improving strength and performance of athletes and that their use is gaining wider acceptance within the athletic community.
“The supplement industry’s standard of regulation is a concern for athletes. As an elite athlete, I am very careful about what I put in my body, but I’m also very keen to get the most out of it. I think supplements do have their place. It’s great to see a company like Aussies Bodies taking the initiative to guarantee their products and give piece of mind to the athletes that what’s on the label is in the product,” he said.

Links to ASDA, Aust Sports Drug Agency site:

http://www.asda.org.au/athletes/supplement_info.htm

http://www.asda.org.au/athletes/supplement_data.htm

A very important initiative. The only other companies I know of with tested, banned substance-free products are SNAC in the US and Wellman Products out of GB.

What about Musashi Charlie - or is this referring specifically to them without naming them?

Musashi should be pure but I don’t know if they’ve been tested (great stuff, by the way). Can you clarify this?

I can’t be 100% but I’ll get back to you …

I can’t find definite clarification only such things as this …

http://www.musashi.com.au/data/about_file/Australian%20Olympic%20Committee(1).pdf

In reality any supplement manufactured in Australia should be safe as prohormones are illegal here so contamination would be very unlikely.

I think the Musashi stuff is pretty good. They’ve got a good reputation.

You really need a guarantee, as amino acids are purchased from all over the world (though mostly from Japan as I understand it)