Protein Breakdown

I have a habit of mixing protein (both my Whey and Casein shakes) in water for 2 or 3 days ahead and leaving it in the fridge until needed.

Does anyone (716, Charlie, Nightmare, Xman, gf ? ) have data on the breakdown of protein in water over time?

It is easier to mix 4-6 shakes all in one go and leave in the fridge to grab and go rather than mixing after every workout - but is the protein being adversely affected?

I agree with nightmare4d

I keep my protien powder and Proglycosyn in separate dry mixing-shaker bottles, then add the water/fluid just before drinking it.

this is the same thing i do, esp for my recovery drink. considering what we pay per serving and the time and research that goes into creating the amino acid profiles fo the drinks, the less denatured the better.

i know this can be a pain in the arse, esp when i am at the track or football field, but i think the little extra effort is worth it.

I keep my protien powder and Proglycosyn in separate dry mixing-shaker bottles, then add the water/fluid just before drinking it.

no23

i dont have any data on hand but i think that isolated aminos (like gluatmine or BCAA) that are put in water will start to break down unless they are stabilized.

when my athletes use a drink with extra aminos added (meaning enhanced amino acid profile above the naturally occuring protein matrix) i tell them to mix and drink right away. the difference may be only slight, but if you want full pop out of your drink, its best to drink it right away.

Cheers Nightmare,
Darn it - It’s just the convience of spending 20 mins mixing one day -which covers you for the next 3-4 days…
Ah well,
:frowning:

I agree with nightmare, and I prepare mine ahead of time like fjlee, so I just at water.

Re: Protein Breakdown for those of you still interested …

From the protein manufacturer:
Protein should be consumed within 1 hour of mixing if not refridgerated.
If kept cool - max time 12 hours.

[…Though, I have, since I asked this question - taken N4D’s and Charlies adivce and been keeping it dry and adding water when needed]

thanks for the follow up 23.