Progression

Is correct…The key to strength increases lies not in the special program you’re on, the training tools you use, or the supplements you take. All these things are important, but the real secret to ongoing progress is the amount of effort you put into your training. Once proper effort levels and work ethics have been established, the actual composition of your program will be key to reaching your goals. …?what’s your opinion?:confused:
What are the Loading Scheme(sets,reps,weight uses,rest between sets,…) that determines iprovements in 1RM /Max Strength in Bench Press,Deadlift and Squat?:rolleyes:

I can agree with this. Proper levels of effort meaning not too much and not too little effort.

A perfect example of effort yielding results would be the exercise that you do in the gym last. Often times it is an exercise That you do half-assed and hate and as a result you see minimum improvement in it.

bicep curls :smiley:

Progression for Limit-Strength with more Reps or weigths?

Not intensity in the sense of gut busting, go out back and vomit workouts, but intensity based on 100% max. I think hard work is great, but not without some form of planning. I played college football and busted my ass training, but in 1986-1990 training was not as good as it is now. College coaches would be fired for having workouts like we used to. Testing was bench, running 2 miles, squat, and broad jump. When I look back, I ask myself how much better we could have been with the techniques we apply today? I personally think over training is far more serious than most think. I will take high quality low volume(sets) all day over low quality high volume. If I was pushing for higher limit strength, I would be focusing a great deal of my training in the <6 rep range. Anything higher and it verges more to just hypertrophy. Somtimes when trainers are writing programs, they think only in terms of what the athlete does in the gym. No thought to other drains such as job, family situation, sleep, etc. To truly be effective, one needs to plan, but be flexible day to day. Not ot disagree with what was said prior in this thread, but it is too simplistic to say just work hard and you get results. That will work for awhile, but then what to do when progress halts?

Can you to do a example?Thx

An example would be something like Doug Hepburn’s program of 10 singles with 90% 1RM.
You start with 4 singles and add a single every workout until you are doing 10 singles, then either test your max and recalculate or start over at 4 singles with a little more weight.
A 3x3 workout is another good example using say 85% of max.
Intensity based on percentage max instead of how hard you feel you worked and avoid failure most of the time.

why not use rpe chart?

Repeat- Intensity based on percentage max instead of how hard you feel you worked.

Perceived exertion is too subjective.

a simple way would be to use Prilepens square. Its easy to find on the internet. They way most of my football players go is using 4 week micro cycles of 6-8x3 on Max Effort exercise working up to all out effort on set 8. Progression is looked for for 3 weeks, followed by back off week. Then a new microcycle with different exercise. The rest would be work more in the 6-10 rep range for tri’s, back, bi’s, delts. Any olympic movements are done 4 and below to reduce chance of injury. I shudder everytime I see highschool athletes prescribed 10-12 reps on cleans or snatches. I try to get high quality speed work in ahead. Maybe 400- 500 yds. This follows allowing full recovery from neural drain. Thats just what I have had success with. I had a sophomore who was benching 290 lbs in March and hit 360 in July following that method. No kid didn’t see at least 30-40 lb increase in Bench, Squat, and deadlift. Cleans and other exercises went up significantly all the while 40 times were dropping nicely. Hope that helps.

Prelipin’s chart from:
http://elitefitnesssystems.com/documents/importanceofvolume.htm

Percent / # of Reps per Set / Lifts Per Workout / Optimal # per Workout
70% / 3-6 / 12-24 / 18
80% / 2-4 / 10-20 / 15
90% / 1-2 / 4-10 / 7

What do you think about the effectiveness with small increments in progressive resistance exercises and traditional progressive resistance increasing the number of repetitions at a Costant-Load?

you will see gains applying both methods. Because I tend to train a lot of football players, I often use increases in small increments raising the load. Trying to raise the bar every workout. When plateaued, you may have to follow the Law of Repeated Efforts. Just keep exposing the athlete to the same load until they start to see improvement. I have players level off on squat or bench, we keep exposure to load the same. 2-3 weeks, they almost always increase in performance. That being said, you need to watch how they recover as it can be stressful to CNS,joints, and connective tissue if using 90% + loading.