Powell Runs 9.77 Secs In Uk!!!! Chambers Runs 10.07 Secs

Now I haven’t watched 50 hours of video but it looks like Asafa is keeping his hips forward (more posterior pelvic tilt) right from the start here (in the finals of Gateshead) just like Gatlin. This allows him to get his legs out in front easier at the start like the Caribbean forum note says.

Thoughts?

Note: I have been toying with this lately. Hoping that it will let me run 9.8s at will:D

Clawing action?? If he starts doing that instead of what he’s been doing, he’ll be injured right away. He’s just fine as is- just needs to stay relaxed when the heat’s on.
BTW, I hope we won’t be hearing a bunch of bitching about this record like the last one. Let’s stop re-writing history and accept what is official on the race and enjoy what’s to come.

9.80s at will, eh… I thought the US stopped using the 100 yards a while back.

if he starts clawing he’ll be in trouble with the hamstrings.pulling rather than pushing!

It seems to be due to technique, it would be just the right time to open up a thread specifically on technique. PJ could you post a photoresque of Powel and Gatlin’s sprint actions done in photoshop? This claw thing is so ridiculous no one claws consciously, its an automatic action. I think its due to the dead centre position of the torso above the hips. They both seem to be concentrating on lifting the foot from ground and nothing else. Both athletes have great hip rotation and the foot is active at the back. Neither tries to rush their stride unlike some of the elite sprinters like Micheal Frater. They seem to wait for the foot to almost extend then pick it up.

It was hot, humid. I was sweating buckets! Amazing run by Powell. He seemed so relaxed in warmup. Wasn’t sure whether he was taking it seriously or not!

Update: Temp 28degCel, Humidigy 40% wind +1.5 during the race itself.

More impressive that Asafa 9.77s is the 10.07s from Chambers after 2 years without compete, still being 3 meters behind but

I agree… but 9.77 secs is very very impressive.

[QUOTE=pierrejean]Posted few days ago on Caribbean T&F forum

wiley
From the “Grape Vine”…Asafa’s new techniques…
Wed Jun 7, 2006 17:52

One of my sources told me that, “Powell will driving differently from the blocks”…expect more knee drives and clawing action there…“While using the minimum amount of force in that phase”… his transition to top speed will be more pronounce than usual…you will see him pull away as if others are standing still. Once he masters these new techniques…Powell said he can attain 9.8’s at will.

I’ve already posted on this site http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/showthread.php?p=122264#post122264 about the improvement in Asafa’s initial 30 meters based on the analysis of his races at the Common Wealth Games. It seemed as though he kept reverting back to the way he would run the drive phase from last year (decreased angle of the trunk and upper body not as straight from head to lower back) and could not put it together in the earlier races of this year. Based on video, you can see that Powell was able to execute his “NEW” drive phase during the 9.93 and also during his second 9.77 race.

Powell seems to run his best times despite not having anyone out in front or right next to him dueling it out. Gatlin on the other hand has only been able to run his best with a very fast starter right next to him (Olu–30m=3.79/60m=6.36 or Scott who is arguably the best starter 60m=6.46). Take away a fast starter directly next to Gatlin and I do not believe he will run under 9.8 until the first 0-10m has been improved.

As for Gatlin’s improvement, i’ve shared my observations here http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/showthread.php?p=115917#post115917

Based on the video footage that I have of Powell, in almost everyone of his races his initial 60m could have used improvement (which has now been improved and executed) and also the body position that he achieves during top speed til finish. Asafa achieves a very unique sprint position that sets him apart from other sprinters but…still needs work. It seems that he is very close (at most an inch or two) from achieving the perfect angle when stepping over. All of the World Record holders were able to do this better than their competitors but none has come as close to perfection than Asafa (Maurice also came close to perfection during his 9.79 but has not been able to achieve these angles since. In fact every year these angles for Maurice get worse). Olu also comes very close to achieving similar angles but his heel may be moving too far in front…to soon. The inability to hold this position from 55-100m is why Asafa has a hard time running through the finish. Yet he disquises this weakness as “easing up”. The ability to hold this unique position until the very end will allow Asafa to run faster.

But is it Athens or Gateshead? Judging by the shaggy green grass it must be the normally wet and windy Gateshead :slight_smile:

Definatley Gateshead, shoes and dress are this years collection!

No red handbag? Would make a good accessory with the dress. He could borrow from Tana Umaga. John from Kiwiland could facilitate, a loan? :eek:

in athens he wasnt looking such confident after a WR. Maybe gets used to it …

Vin,
I dont understand your analysis of Asafa’s form, there is no unique body angle as you have stated. I actually thought he step- over yesterday from 40 on was unreal. Dont forget is not just the amount of time you spend on the ground but also what you do once you leave the ground and yesterday he “clinic-ed” those boys.

Also If a guy like him can hold the " sprint " postion for 90-95m I dont think he would all of a sudden “break down” which you term as easing up. He just eases up because he wants to. Its is a bad habit with specific runners and its takes almost a number of years to sort out.

Past culprites include MJ in his early days, Frankie (all his career) and currently Wariner.

“I actually thought he step- over yesterday from 40 on was unreal. Dont forget is not just the amount of time you spend on the ground but also what you do once you leave the ground”

Exactly. Look in detail as to what his body is doing when he is in the air. Please go back and analyze his races. Compare the way Powell runs to other sprinters including Justin. There are slight but major differences that occur during the top speed phase that have already been discussed extensively on this site last year. About his finish. Asafa achieves a specific sprint position (based on the way he runs) when he enters the 60m mark and carriers this until about 85m but cannot seem to keep his body from losing these anlges (look specifically at what the recovery leg is doing). This is to be expected as Charlie has even stated that even the best sprinters cannot hold the sprint position for very long. If Asafa can do this, his top speed phase would last just a little longer and could possibly run even 10m segments from 70m-100m. The splits from last years 9.77 reflect what I am saying.

Asafa Tim Mo Ben
RT 0.15
0-10m 1.89 1
10-20m 1.02
20-30m 0.92
30-40m 0.86
40-50m 0.85
50-60m 0.85
60-70m 0.84
70-80m 0.84
80-90m 0.85
90-100m 0.85
TIME 9.77

How long is very long ?
Are you saying it is simply a case of Asafa improving his strength ?

SeanJos

Yes guys it was definitely a warm Gateshead for a change, about 26 degrees. Apologies, in my haste I started another thread on this topic in the wong place. I was there, it was a tremendous performance, Gateshead is not particularly fast, trust me I coach there. Its fairly hard but Mondo it isnt. The wind speed had been against for the heats but it turned round just before the final, I could feel it where I was sitting. I have not seen any footage yet, my impression was that he eased off just prior to the finish line but if anyone thinks different do let me know, it could have been the angle I was sitting at. I don’t think anyone has broken 10secs at Gateshead prior to this one.

The stadium record is 10.05 so yes Powell is the first to break the 10 sec

Very long would be about 30m. An increase in strength would help but an increase in power endurance would be better. A 120m-150m or all out 200m in practice would help. I think Stephen Francis tries to develp these techniques early on by having his athletes run the 400m. Also an increase in concentration levels would do wonders instead of staring at the clock.