Powell goes out in 9.90 during 100m heats, Bolt 10.19

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20080628/sports/sports1.html

old news already posted.

oops :smiley: lol

wait…where is this posted?

Post number 8.

http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/showthread.php?t=18584

ohh ok thanks

CAN WE KEEP THE JAMAICAN AND US TRIALS AS SEPARATE THREADS, IF ONLY FOR FUTURE REFERENCE. AT THE MOMENT BOTH OF THESE MAJOR EVENTS ARE CATEGORISED UNDER A SPORTS ILLUSTRATED FEATURE STORY. IN A COUPLE OF MONTHS FROM NOW, WHO IS GOING TO BE ABLE TO REMEMBER THAT’S WHERE ALL THE TRIALS INFO HAS BEEN RECORDED. RHETORICAL? ANSWER: NOBODY.:rolleyes:

THANKS TO TRACK-MAN AND TAMFB FOR DETAILS TO DATE.:slight_smile:

FORMER world record holder and defending national champion, Asafa Powell, signalled yesterday that he will be gunning to retain his title after clocking a season best 9.90 seconds in the heats of the men’s 100 metres at the Senior National Track and Field Athletics Cham-pionships, on the opening evening of the three-day meet at the National Stadium.

Powell, dogged by injury for most of the current season, led all qualifiers for today’s semi-finals as he came home well clear of Winston Barnes, who was second in 10.30.

World record holder Usain Bolt had earlier jogged home in 10.19 in the first heat, beating Mario Forsythe, 10.54.

Both Bolt and Powell were conservative in their comments after their races.

“I will do whatever it takes to qualify for the Olympic Games,” Powell said.

“I am feeling good. I was just running to qualify and taking it round by round,” were Bolt’s comments.

It will be a two-horse race in the final. The other leading qualifiers had far inferior times. Michael Frater took heat five in 10.20 and Michael Anderson was the winner of heat six in 10.26.

Kerron Stewart led the way in the very competitive women’s 100 metres heats. She dipped below 11 seconds to win heat three in 10.99, just holding off a determined Shelly-Ann Fraser. Fraser of the MVP Track Club crossed the line in a personal best 11.02, while Sherone Simpson was third in 11.11.

Samantha Henry also registered a personal best 11.16 in heat two. She literally streaked away from the field halfway out to win ahead of Sheri-Ann Brooks, 11.26, and Simone Facey, 11.34.

Veronica easy

World champion Veronica Campbell-Brown looked extremely easy while winning heat one in 11.28, beating Nickesha Anderson, 11.33 and Aleen Bailey, also 11.33.

World Championships repre-sentative, Isa Phillips, clocked a season best 48.78 seconds to lead all qualifiers into today’s final of the men’s 400 metres hurdles. Phillips won the first of two heats ahead of the veteran Danny McFarlane, second in 49.54. Another veteran, Ian Weakley, was third in 50.08.

Heat Two went to local-based Markino Buckley of the MVP Track Club in 49.21, just outside his season best. Adrian Findlay, a member of Jamaica’s team which placed second in the 4x400m at this year’s World Indoor Cham-pionships, was second in 49.96, while Bryan Steele took third in 50.09. Dean Griffith 50.27 and Andre Peart, 53.16, also qualified for the final.

In three finals contested yesterday, Phelecia Reynolds of Louisianna Technical won the women’s discus with a best throw of 45.15 to beat Genneva Greaves of MVP and Kenisha Throughsingh, who was third with 40.55m.

Defending champion Chelsea Hammond won the women’s long jump with a best of 6.61 metres. Jovanee Jarrett was second with 6.52m and Nolle Graham third, 6.49m.

Floyd Mayne captured the 5000 metres in 15:19.12 from Rupert Green, 16.26.37 and Andrew Gutzmore, 16.40.12.

THIS REPORT COURTESY OF THE IAAF WEBSITE

http://www.iaaf.org/OLY08/news/kind=100/newsid=45499.html

Saturday, 28 June 2008 Powell - 9.90 - and Stewart - 10.99 - highlight men’s and women’s dash heats – Jamaican Champs, Day 1

Kerron Stewart (right) races ahead of Shelly-Ann Fraser in the women’s 100m heats (Sporting Eagle)

relnews Kingston, Jamaica - Asafa Powell and Kerron Stewart highlighted Friday’s opening day (27) of the three-day Jamaican Olympic Trials, while Usain Bolt, the world’s fastest man, and Olympic 200m champion Veronica Campbell conserved as they easily advanced to Saturday’s 100m semi-finals.

Powell 9.90 - ‘whatever it takes to get to Beijing’

Powell, who was running his second race since a three-month lay-off, was aggressive in taking heat two of the men’s 100m in 9.90 seconds, a season’s best for the former World record holder.

He got out of the blocks fast, but held his drive phase until about half way, before cruising home ahead of Winston Barnes, who recorded a personal best 10.30.

“I am just using this as my practice going into Beijing,” Powell said while remaindering journalists he will just do “whatever it takes to get to Beijing.”

Bolt did what was necessary to advance without any pressure.

Bolt, running out of lane three in heat one, had little if any trouble in taking victory in 10.19 seconds.

He said, after the race, “I am comfortable with the time. The goal was to come out and work on a couple of things and that’s what I did.”

Nester Carter (10.54), who finished second in heat four behind Jesse Saunders (10.48); Michael Frater (10.20); Dwight Thomas (10.53) also made head ways.

Stewart is flying

In heat three of the women’s 100m event, Stewart also was impressive, racing to her third career sub-11 – 10.99 seconds.

She was not concern about the fast first round time, saying, “I am here to compete and that what I am going to do.”

Shelly-Ann Fraser, had a personal best 11.02, and Sherone Simpson (11.11) to finish behind Stewart.

Campbell-Brown’s victory came in heat one, 11.28 seconds, which put her with ease ahead of Nickeisha Anderson (11.33).

Top qualifiers for the one lap

In the women’s 400m, Shericka Williams (50.91), Rosemarie White (51.13), Novlene Williams-Mills (51.65), Anastasia Le-Roy (51.91), Kaliese Spencer (51.70), Shareefa Lloyd (52.01) and Moya Thompson (52.23) are the top qualifiers.

All the top men’s 400m runners, Sanjay Ayre, Ricardo Chambers, Allodin Fothergill, Michael Blackwood, Dwayne Barrett and Leford Green booked their semi-final spots.

In the men’s 400m Hurdles, Isa Phillips, who won heat one in a season best 48.78 seconds, leads Markino Buckley (49.21) and Danny McFarlane, the silver medallist from Athens (49.54) in Saturday’s final (28).

In the infield, Chelsea Hammond leapt 6.61m to beat Jovanne Jarrett (6.52m) and Nolle Graham (6.42m) in the women’s Long Jump.

Phelecia Reynolds threw 45.15m to land the women’s Discus Throw title, while Julian Reid produced 15.95m for the men’s Triple Jump crown.

Anthony Foster for IAAF

http://www.cvmtv.com/livestream.php

live jam trials
sign in to watch

100 semis after 400 soon to come

Sweet, im watching now.

u have to pay?

yeh i put it on my credit card, 50 bucks for one year.

naw its free

how?
it says you have to click subscribe?

just sign up

its free man, i was joking.

ok lol
im obv being confused right now
no sarcasm
u have to pay right?

its FREE…

I 've signed up…and ll I’m watching is a sample …how can I wath them?ask to subscribe…

ok how do i get it to show the nationals cuz all i get is the guy dancing and singing.

That’s all I get too, then I clicked subscribe and it comes up with pricing plans.