post-hernia suregry recovery

oh im an athlete in university so i think they pushed it up a bit… :wink:

Yeah i’m also a sprinter. I’m at the university of Texas-Arlington.

how’s it feeling today?

im from canada too,

im gunna get on the bike today,i was messin around at the pool today-kinda aggrevated my abdominals (your abs become real TIGHT when u get the surgery so extension overhead is impossible without pain for me still) ill be fine

im gunna get on the bike for 20min right now and test it out…im sure it will be ok…im more trying to get in shape so im so far behind when i come back fully, becaus emy team has already been practicing for a week.

hopefully the doc can get u in quick ull want to as quick as possible

make sur eu are still training as much as possible (doing WHATEVER you can) so u arent at total ground zero when u come back

i’ve been doing as much as i can these past few weeks. my season just finished in mid august at the Canadian championships where I ran the 200m (silver medal) but was visibly affected by the hernia (which at that time i believed it was a lower abdominal strain)
I’m still in really good shape but i can’t fully extend when i stride so the quality of any type of running is pretty low. almost like a jog

saturday i rested

sunday got on the elipptical for 15 min
i got after it pretty good felt fine afterwards

hopped on the treadmill yesterday and today

yesteday started with speed walking and then went at pretty pedestrian jogging speed (12 min mile pace for 10 min)

hurt a lil afterwards (iced and took some painkillers)

felt ok today

went at 10 min mile pace today for 20 min
might hop on the bike later tonight for extra conditioning

will ice tonight

at what percentage of your recovery are you? (50% completed: 2 weeks to go etc)

-what is the most sore? incisions or actual hernia spot?

im not sure what % cuz i play it by feel everyday…i think i might start practicing monday …we’ll see tho

the incisions dont hurt anymore

what hurts is when i stretch my abs because everything is extremely tight

the actual hernia spot hurts a lil but not too bad (on impact, or when i pull laterally to the side of the pain)

alright

good update here guys

wednesday i lifted with the team
bench press got up to 160 for 6 something reps…
benching felt weird cuz u cant tighten ur whole body like u normally are supposed to. it was all arms and chest really (core doesnt tighten up becuase of pain in the area)

ran afterwards for 20 min on treadmill at 9 min/mile pace

thursday

did the team warmup
little bit of pain (first time ever jogging on flat ground) cuz ive only been on bike/treadmill/elliptical

really diff experience took it real slow
did some hurdle drills
couldnt do the accelerations at the end of the warmup

friday

did the full workout with the team today!!
did the extended warmup
the running drills sucked for me…i did some c’s and felt a pretty big pain…still couldnt do any accelerations at all…

the workout was an easy run on grass for 11 minutes (lol nothing hard just recovery for them)
i felt good throughout the whole run

after we lifted where i squatted for the first time in 5 months

ouch

the lifting wasnt hard (150 pound front squats for 8)

but when u cant tighten ur core ur legs are doing everything
im extremely sore in my groin area and pretty much all over

overall im excited that i was able to lift and warmup with the team its nice to be back with everyone and its a great feeling.

i actually have a jumping partner this year so its gunna be sweet

saturday

homecoming!

jc too fly

i think i might be able to all the workouts this coming week (we dont sprint for the first 4 weeks of gpp) but i should be able to start sprinting on the following week.

yesterday marked 2 WEEKS since surgery.

whew!

today i did worked out with the team.

we did a time-trial mile run

i ran it in 6:06 which isnt too bad considering its the 2nd time ive stepped on the track since surgery (2 weeks ago)

i was pretty much done after 3 laps but i found some strength at the end (motivation came from having 3 girls ahead of me still)

after i lifted weights

did back squats

3x8~180lbs

1 arm db snatches with 45’s (these hurt a lil)

im not sure if ill be hang cleaning on wednesday with the team

i felt real sore during warmups, the dynamic stuff still bothers me but i still ran b/c its only a mile run which is pretty slow (not dynamic)

im real sore right now, even after ice bath in the groove just inside my pelvic bone/hip bone.

im icing that part right now.

tomorrow we have to do 3x600 continuous runs (int tempo)

it might be messy considering we all did the mile today.

the weights don’t agrivate your hernia spot?

do you think you’re coming back too fast?

i think i went a lil too hard during the run (too fast too soon)

the weights feel just right (real light) 180 is 50% for me

the spot that hurts is the groove inside the pelvic/hip bone which is the hernia spot so yea…

i might take tomorrow off. we’ll see how i feel… tomorrows run will be even slower.

i just got my surgery today and i feel really good. i’m walking well, but i think the local anesthetic is still kicking in. either way i’m proud of myself haha
i walked about 50m right after surgery and the nurses thought that was great!

thats awesome man! hope u recover as quick as i am right now…

last night i was popping pain killers and this morning i woke up with sinus infection.

still the the 6x300 workout which went ok

i actually ran faster today than i did the first time i ran it last year as a freshman. lol.

Its day three (well 2 1/2 i guess) and i’m really sore still, pretty stiff, but i can walk around.
walking doesn’t hurt but i’m really cautious with it.
the spot is swollen and tender.
hopefully by monday i can ride the bike.
lets hope anyways

how long did it take you to have a bowel movement?

i didnt have to for like 2 days i think…

today i did ‘front squats’ with 145 for 3 sets of 8
did DB incline bench (with 65 lb db’s) for 3 sets of 8

i was able to chinups for the first time today!!
i did 8 reps really slow and under control to make i didnt aggrevate anything…really pumped about that because the doc said the #1 exercise to aggrevate my hernia was the chinups and i can do those without pain!

ill be increasing the wieght in the squats each week until im back to where i should be.

I rode the stationary bike today for 15mins at about 120 heart rate. I was a little stiff afterwards but overall i feel pretty good. (its not even a week yet: the surgery was done on Sept 19th)

did you have any pain/tenderness on the opposite hernia side.
ex: my hernia was repaired on the right side, but lately my left side has been a bit sore.

has this happened to you?

no i havent… that sounds a little wierd man…i have no idea

i ran the mile in 5:59 today which is a lil faster than last week

less pain time around but i hit a wall with 200 left so i had a lil different pain this time around :wink:

weights i upped it up to 245 for 4 sets of 3…i dont know why we doin sets of 3 right now…but whatever

i think that was too heavy and ill drop it down next time.

i still dont think i can hang clean yet but ill give it another go on wednesday…

pull ups were fine again today.

but my legs are going to trash tomorrow…