New world record

9.76 for Gatlin

9.84 for Fasuba. Congrats to PierreJean.

Somebody produce a video NOW!

Qatar IAAF Super Tour - Doha (QAT)
Friday, May 12, 2006

Last Updated: 19:26:38 CET 12/05/2006

Official Result
Men - 100 Metres - Final
Wind: +1.7 m/s
Pos Athlete Nat Mark Pts

1 Gatlin Justin USA 9.76 (WR) 0
2 Fasuba Olusoji A. NGR 9.84 0
3 Crawford Shawn USA 10.08 0
4 Trammell Terrence USA 10.10 0
5 Henry Anson CAN 10.12 0
6 Obikwelu Francis POR 10.13 0
7 Emedolu Uchenna NGR 10.16 0
8 Norman Joshua USA 10.33 0

Damn! I didn’t think Gat had it in him - proved me wrong! Fasuba ran a blinder aswell in both his heat (9.92 (+1.1) behind Gat’s 9.85) and the final (9.84 to go =4th Fastest EVER)

Can’t wait to see Powell’s reply

Unreal. Great job by both guys! I second the congrats, PJ! :smiley:

Oh my god! I can’t believe it! I thought this was a prediction then checked the news! This season is gonna be sick!

Excellent time by Fasuba too, well done Pj.

I was so caught up in posting results that I forgot to congratulate PJ - Well done PJ, were you there to see it?

That is a MASSIVE PB for Fasuba!
Was that expected at all?

Two world records for Trevor…not bad :slight_smile: I’d say…great work PJ, from 10.09 to 9.92 to 9.84 and he’s just a baby (21yrs) :eek: ! Awesome job…simply awesome :stuck_out_tongue: .

Let’s see if the record gets ratified. Seems quite unexpected from everybody.

Gatlin breaks world 100m record

Gatlin will face Asafa Powell in Gateshead next month
World and Olympic champion Justin Gatlin became the new 100m world record holder at the IAAF Super Tour meeting in Doha on Friday.
The 24-year-old American clocked 9.76 seconds to break Asafa Powell’s mark by one-hundredth of a second.

“I am very happy to have broken the world record,” said Gatlin, whose main aim of 2006 was to smash Powell’s mark. "I knew it was coming.

This is my third time in Doha and it has proved to be third time lucky."

100m RECORD SINCE 1990
9.76: J Gatlin (US), 12/05/06
9.77: A Powell (Jam), 14/06/05
9.78: T Montgomery (US), 14/09/02
9.79: M Greene (US), 16/06/99
9.84: D Bailey (Can), 27/07/96
9.85: L Burrell (US), 06/07/94
9.86: C Lewis (US), 25/08/91
9.90: L Burell (US), 14/06/91
Gatlin had already been in red hot form this season, clocking 9.95 in his first outing of the season in Osaka and 9.85 in the Doha semi-finals.

Jamaican Powell became the first sprinter in three years to lower the 100m mark even further in Athens last year.

Gatlin and Powell will renew their rivalry when they go head-to-head for the first time this season at the Gateshead Grand Prix on 11 June.

The pair last met on the track at the London Grand Prix last July but Gatlin cruised to victory as Powell pulled up with a groin injury which also kept him out of the world championships.

This is an amazing feat coming relatively early in the season

From SG
Have your say on Five Live
The pair did meet in the Olympic final in Athens but Gatlin came out on top as Powell trailed home in fifth place.

Just think what Fusuba will be like when he gets a bit of financial help! :smiley: Well done PJ! Hard work pays off!

http://www.iaaf.org/GP06/news/Kind=2/newsId=34609.html

This article mentions the wind was +2m/s…the results say 1.7. I wonder if this will end up like another Olympic Trials FloJo controversy?

Everybody except Gatlin! The man predicted it and he came through! He deserves lots of credit for that! Just amazing…

Could be a typo, ease up on the speculation…

I have just uploaded a video of the race:

http://folk.uio.no/perel/

Awesome race. Big stuff for Fasuba. He just needs to stay relaxed for the last 20m and he can go faster. Good run for Anson Henry as well at 10.12.

Props to P.J!!!

Speechless! :eek:
This is superb!
Congratulations, PJ! :slight_smile:

Take a look at who was in the race- and how far back they ended up.

Great run by anson too! Fastest by a canadian in recent times~