My Masters Training

short block at the moment, had a 4 week block over Christmas of accel and top end development.

Though I start every track session with some plyos and short accelerations .

This block takes me over the race this weekend and next (using the races as a speed session)

And then flips back a little in the build-up to the rest of indoor season. for me ends mid march (still undecided about Daegu)(decision to be made after this weekend)

Thursday is 3-150 8 min rec

I raced on Saturday :confused:

Thursday, I did the 1st and 3rd 150, both 16.8

I did the 60 and 200 on sat, was kept waiting around an hour after warming up for what appeared to be no bloody reason! 7.37 and 23.24 lane 2
I have a best indoor of 22.19 from 6 years ago, haven’t raced indoor for 3 years so was nice to be back inside, incidentally that time is equal to my outdoor last year!!

Monday evening I did 5-20m down hill sprints on grass

Last night was 350-44.2 and then 3-80m flat out.

I have entered Daegu - World Indoor Masters :slight_smile:

Which event(s)? Your recent 200 is quite good. Should be worth a mid-22 outdoors.

Yeah, id like to go sub 23 indoor before Daegu. (I have struggled with speed since my tendon avulsion lol)

I have only entered the 400 and relay, its going to be a short trip.

And I hate to be rude but I really hope they sort out all the stupid local entries, as appears they have an extra 30 athletes entered with no times, and if they are just to make the numbers up that will annoy me a little.

well competed this weekend
23.18 and then 23.02 on Saturday
50.53 on Sunday I pulled out of the final to save myself a little as the goal is obviously Daegu and that time is actually fairly good indoor in my age group

Solid times… How old are you again?

Don’t let your annoyance interfere with what you want to do. It’s difficult to control the outside admin so unless you have someone advocating on your behalf likely the staff dealing with this sort of thing is all based on volunteers. Poorly run meets are pretty common at many levels. Looks like it’s going well so far. What is your 100 time?

Im 36 now, Im happy with the times, more so the 400 as in theory its puts me in a great position for Daegu. and was my first one of the year

I struggle with my short speed, best of 10.8 but I had a bicep femoris tendon avulsion back in 2011 which affected me fro a while whilst re-training the hamstring and tendons
These days I have struggled getting anywhere around 11.4/5 but do feel that has improved with this winters training.

Its fair to say being a Master has given me the competitive drive I had back when I was 21

That’s exciting you feel this way.

My experience with Masters athletes has been very good. Hard working, driving and focused.

well that absolutely sucked!

I pulled my hamstring doing a tempo session on the Thursday after the indoor race, so 3months ago!

Ive been struggling since in recovering the injury (guess old age really does blow!) I managed to somehow pull both hamstrings to different degrees. I had to pull out of the world indoors, which I watched at home online and saw that I could have won it! ah well we keep going.

I have been able to keep fit and run just not sprint, but now im at that turning point again, im 10 weeks away from the European masters in Denmark so that’s my focus now to get back in time and be able to get some good solid runs before hand.

This week has finally seen some breakthrough of injuries.

Monday managed a good weights session (complex)
Tuesday 3-150 (3min rec) times mid 18. then 150-250-350 (4 min rec) 18-33-bailed lol was knackered
Wed another good weights session
Thursday block work 3-20 3-30 felt really good on these was prob about a tenth maybe 2 off my 10.9 runners (so hopefully I can be currently around 11.3/4)

opened up my outdoor season this weekend after the 3 months of torture

23.2 200m
and a 51.1 relay split (had to slow down in the home straight as leg became tight, not really an issue just the remnants of the injury tbh

During last week on Tuesday I managed a couple of 30m flies in 3.03 each time (could have done a quicker one I think but a guy was running with pulled up and shouted put me off )

Great times…

Thanks RB

Been a strange week, decided to race again on wed in a local open, so tue was just a warm up

Race was into minor head wind and slight drizzle 23.31
Wasn’t too happy with that race, trained Thursday with some FEFEF runs

Sunday (yesterday) another 200, 22.78

I have British masters champs in 2 weeks, only doing the 400 so that will be my opening 400 of the season

Why FEFEF runs in comp season?

I’ve been injured for 3 months so in need of some speed development. My European masters champs are in 7 weeks

had a big week so far, but feeling really good

Tuesday, 2-250 (10min rec) 4-60m (5 min rec)
30.1 30.9 / 7.3 7.2 7.2 7.4

Wed some good weights and plyos, 160 squat for example

Thursday
Split 400 followed by some sprints
23.5 25.4 =48.9

I know IM not capable of running 48 or possibly even 49 right now but its still nice to see lol

Finally had my 1st 400m of the year at the British Masters Champs! I won :slight_smile: not fast but I will take it.

50.93 with a terrible wind down the back straight which was sheltered by the stadium in the home straight :frowning: the guys behind me all ran about a second slower then they have been.

I need to run sub 50 to make it competitive for the European Masters Champs in exactly 5 weeks.

I do feel as though the speed is coming on though, last Thursday did 2-150m 10min rec in 16.7 / 16.5 these of course timed by my regular time keeper who is an official timekeeper

How many more races will you run before the Champs?