My Dilemna

Alright…heres the situation…My football coach and my teammates want me to play football…with my speed and since I played my freshman and part of my sophmore year, I also have the experience so the coach is offering me a starting spot on offense at halfback…Now I do want to play but I also want to train for the upcoming track season even though it is 7-8 months away, but I want to beat the top dog in my county who also won state…he does cross coutnry during the fall. I figured that if I do play football I would have 4 months to train for track when its over. Our team isn’t known for winnign but this year they should be improved and I am sure that if I play they wil havea winning season, and I want them to know what a winning season feels liek sicne I went through one at my old school. Now I am wondering…Coudl I play football and then train for the four months and still achieve my goal of 10.7-10.6 or will I needover 6 months ot get to that goal? I am really split down the middle with this one…I think i need closure! what are everybody’s tohughts? This is also going ot be my senior year by the way if that helps anybody…thanks for he input!

Do whatever you think you’ll enjoy the most.

Fabio, this decision is going to be a tough call. Before joining the team you should consider how the team conditions and if they have a S and C coach that knows what hes doing. If not, then maybe playing football wouldnt be worth your while to get faster. However, if you feel comfortable with the way things are run then maybe this could be a new way to train to prevent you from becoming stale. Personally, I love football and I play and still seem to have enough time to train for track afterwards.

the coach is letting me do my own workouts (sprinting and lifting) until two-a-days start…then when the season starts I have 2 days a week where I can lift and games will be played friday or Saturday…I figure that football can be a new training stimulus since I know for 7-8 months I will run out of Ideas and become stale (happened ot mel ast time)

Then go for out, but be careful not to injure yourself. There are obviously inherent oppurtunities for injury in football, so try and minimize them, heres an example. Dont volunteer to try and return kicks, because this is just asking from something to happen in a high impact collision (Since your main focus is on getting faster and not on football, you shouldnt be put into that kind of situation).

Also, keep in mind that football is probably going to enhance your reactivity and on-field agility, while cross country is simply a lot of long, relatively slow, running.

I honestly can say that I don’t think a dedicated 100m man should run cross country.