Muscle spasm?

On Friday I did a heavy workload of spike work at about 90% intensity or there abouts on the track. I was aware already and my coach also warned me that I’d get sore calves…and I did. No problem there. But on the left calf, sorta at the bottom of the gastroc and upper achillies area (soleous?) I had a pulling effect at the end of each stride (walking) throughout Saturday. Today (Sunday) it isn’t pulling so much but is still very tight. When I showed my parents, my mum thought it looked a lil swollen and my dad thought it looked much tighter then my right calf. He suggested a muscle spasm and i’m inclined to agree with him. Does it sound like a muscle spasm? I can do a calf raise easily (hurts but strength is fine). If it is a spasm…what should I do to cure it and can I continue with normal training? Competing?

It could be spasm but probably worth getting it checked in case it is a small tear. My real question is why you would undertake a workout you knew would hurt you? If you are prepared then no workout should causes excessive tightness - if it does then the jump in intensity (mostly) or volume is too great from what you are used to. A workout that makes you tight will lead to the next workout (or perhaps 2-5) being suboptimal. Why not simply progressivly overload over 3 sessions to reach this new level and stiffness altogether? Maybe something to think about in the future?

Thanks for the reply. I’v got physio 2mrrw 4 piriformis so i’ll get it checked then.

Re training: No, every athlete (asafa powell included) would get soreness in their calves 1st spike session back on the track…even if it were 5x60 strides or whatsnot. It’s the mechanical changes it produces at ground contact and support for the legs.

Agreed. So why not keep some element of track going all year? You can start from week 1 by doing two of your 20 reps of tempo on the track and progress it throughout the season. You could start in trainers, then flats, then spikes and modify volume accordingly.

As you say even 5x60m tempo will bring out some soreness, so the first track session back needs to be very, very easy and progressed slowly. Which is why I find it funny when people do something like 500,400,300,200,100 first session back and can’t walk for a week (crazy 400m runners).

Sometimes we use muscles relaxant (in Italy there is Muscoril).
Generally, you can manage this problem with a good use of calcium/magnesium supplement!

Fascial restriction can give you this kind of problem, basic stretching work can help you as a first aid tool.

[QUOTE=TopCat]Agreed. So why not keep some element of track going all year? You can start from week 1 by doing two of your 20 reps of tempo on the track and progress it throughout the season. You could start in trainers, then flats, then spikes and modify volume accordingly.[QUOTE=TopCat]

I agree, but I had a stress fracture (shin) and rolled ankle in the off season so I was out of training altogether. I did about 6 weeks of gradual exercise (during school examinations) and then have been doing track work in trainers and added some spike work in grass in the past 2 weeks.

Try the fascial loosening stuff above and even hot cold showers on your calves.

physio felt no tear or strain and only said my left calf is a trillion times more tight then my right…and it feels it. I’m getting mum to give me a massage each night and using deep heat, some stretching and muscle relaxant baths. Sounds good? Any food that could help? Looks very hopeful that I’ll be able to compete this saturday. Fingers croosed…

how is it now?

fine, thanks for asking.

Seasons over anyway though, on wednesday at training I pulled my hammy from overstretching :confused: lol :mad: …yeh i know :frowning: