Martin Rooney's take on Saturated fat

I got this from EFS Q&A under sports. I guess Martin doesn’t really know the whole story over saturated fat. He says that coconut is bad for you because it has too much saturated fat. I wish there was easier way to tell him without typing too much in the question section b/c there’s a limit on numbers of characters i can type. I told him to check out this website, regeneration lab or talk with Clemson.

10/20/2004 - Clinton Martin,

1. What is the best type of oil to cook with?

2. In your MMA book, I didn’t see you mention coffee, but you did allude to the importance of acid/base. It seems too much coffee could affect the PH balance. Do you think that coffee should be avoided?

Clinton,
Thanks for writing in. I am glad you read the book, and I will give you the best answers I can.

First off, everyone should be using fats and oils sparingly in their cooking. I ahve to say that I personally dont really cook with oil, and try to stay away from fried food. If I couldnt avoid it,though, here are my choices based on what I have learned. All of the following oils are low in saturated fats and trans fats. Some have high concentration of monounsaturated fats such as olive oil. Choose corn oil, safflower oil, sunflower oil, soy oil or canola oil if you wish to fry foods as these oils have higher smoke point. It is best not to fry with olive oil as its smoke point is only about 190C/375F.

I think it would be fine to use any one of the following “good” oils to cook.

Canola oil
Flax seed oil (super unsaturated!)
Peanut oil
Olive oil (watch it)
Non-hydrogenated soft margarine
Safflower oil
Sunflower oil
Corn oil

The following “bad” oils contain high percentage of trans fat or saturated fats. Some, such as coconut oil, even contain more saturated fats than animal products! All of them have unsaturated fats which can be damaged at high temperature and converted to a trans fat. Watch out now for trans fats on your labels. It is being monitored and you need to be aware of it.

Vegetable shortening
Hard margarine
Butter
Palm oil
Palm kernel oil
Coconut oil

I never thought I would be proud to be called a “fat guy” but I am glad I am getting this info out to everyone.

As for coffee and caffiene, just like the fats, I am not a fan. I know there are many people out there that cant live without it, but we dont really utuilize it in our training. Anything you need to add stuff to make it taste good or something that takes years to acquire a taste or affinity for should be questioned if we should injest it anyway.

I hope this helps. Now go have a plate of fried chicken and wash it down with 2 mountain dews and a vivarin!

Martin

" The edible lauric fats, such as coconut or palm kernel, both of which are GRAS (Generally Recognized as Safe), can provide a unique source of both antimicrobial lipids and needed calories. The role of calories is important because the individual with HIV/AIDS – progressively more immune-compromised with frequent bouts of infection – very often has a diet that is inadequate in calories and/or has an inappropriate balance of macro and micro nutrients. These infections may be precipitated by opportunistic microorganisms, e.g., CMV, candida, and cryptosporidium."

www.lauric.org

hey if they use it for HIV research maybe the stuff is not that bad…

I was under the impression that heating Flax was VERY bad. I thought it turned into an equivalent of linseed oil, which is furniture polish.

MK

flax goes rancid easily…

can’t copy cat clemson coconut cocktail … cunning companies create clone concoctions costing choas coversely…clearly carl conjured coconut cure…cops cuffs can’t contain!

20g of CFM whey
20g of Micellar casien
1g of vitamin C
1 container of coco gem

good enough for me!

I’ve never known what you have in yours so I just make my own…

Just to make sure it is known here and my blog…coconut milk and cream is good for you and is heat stable…still high insulin responses and fats may not be smart.

What would you recommend? high insulin response by consuming coconut oil?

I use a charlie francis vertical integration nutrition program. Clear message with simple solutions (complex problems). Go postworkout with a whey and sugar combo. Use a protein and fat combo (berardi) with casein and coconut milk to fight muscle breakdown.

what do you mean exactly? i’ve read cfts and the forum review but don’t remember off hand if touches on this topic.

Same concept as vertical integration, but applied to diet. Specific nutrients for specific training needs.