Marion On Athens Olympic Security

KINGSTON, Jamaica, May 6 (AFP) - American sprint queenMarion Jones said she plans to use 24-hour security during this summer’s Athens Games.
I am confident that the USOC will do everything they can to protect the athletes,'' said Jones. On the risk of terrorism following the recent bomb blasts in Athens, Jones said: I am confident that if there was any threat to the athletes, the US Olympic Committee would not send its athletes.
I am just an athlete, I don't make the decisions but if they decide that the athletes are secure, then I will be in Athens without any concerns.'' Jones, who is competing in Friday's Jamaican International meet here, reiterated that she doesn't take banned performance enhancing supplements. I am a drug-free athlete,’’ said Jones. Meetdirectors don't have any doubts or they would not inviteme to their meet.'' Jones is just getting back into her training routineafter giving birth to her first child 10 months ago. I am taking it one meet at a time. My training isvery similar to what it was in the past. I am working onmy starts which is always a challenge for me andprobably the weakest part of my race.
I am also putting a lot of time into my longjumping. Hopefully that will be reflected at the meet. The American is using the Jamaican outdoor meet as atune-up for Athens. This will be her first 100 metrerace and long jump of 2004. I am very excited to really be kicking off my seasonin the 100 metres and the long jump here.
I am at the stage in my career where I am will notbe giving predictions of what time I will run. I know that Tayna (Lawrence), Peta Gaye (Dowdie) andDebbie (Ferguson) will give me a good run for my moneyand I am looking forward to jumping for the first timeoutdoor since Sydney.’’
But Athens is foremost on her mind.
``I will go there (Athens) and win gold… I am tired of that bronze stuff.’’

She ought to consider running two events (100, 200) instead of all four at Trials. Having spent so much time off, Marion needs to concentrate on her best races and not wear herself out. Unlike 2000, when it was clear there was no one to touch her, this year the races might be close.

But then she was so happy she trained with dan cause he was a good long jump coach as well. So the long jump was a main concern on choosing the coach. Do you think she’ll pull out of the long jump after all that. I don’t think so. But I’m sure you’re right. It is very hard.