Marion Latest

By Gene Cherry
RALEIGH, North Carolina, Feb 3 Reuters - TripleOlympic champion Marion Jones said today she had added along jump competition in Athens to her comeback indoorseason.
The event, on February 22, will be the third scheduledindoor meeting for Jones, who took 2003 off for thebirth of her son Monty with boyfriend and 100-metreworld record holder Tim Montgomery. Her last competitionwas outdoors in September 2002.
Previously Jones had announced she would run the 60metres at New York’s Millrose Games on Friday, then longjump and compete in the 60 metres at Birmingham,England, on February 20.
The long jump competitions will her first indoors, the 28-year-old Jones said in a teleconference today. Shehas not run the 60 metres indoors since 1998.
Jones won gold in the 100, 200 and 4x400 metres relayat the Sydney Olympics and took bronze in the long jumpand 4x100 relay.
She said on Tuesday she would attempt to make the USOlympic team for the summer games in Athens in the 100,200 and long jump and would then decide whether to runany or both relays.
One reason for competing indoors in Athens, saidJones, would be to kind of get a feel for everything. I plan to take a trip to where we will be stayingand see the venues,’’ Jones said.
``It’s similar to what I did in ‘98 when I took a tripto Melbourne and Sydney and competed and trained therefor a month.’’