Marie Jose Perec Out Of Worlds

PARIS, July 23 (AFP) - France’s triple Olympicchampion Marie-Jose Perec said on Wednesday that shewill not take part in the world championships being heldhere from August 23-31.
The 35-year-old 400-metre runner, who has not racedsince July 8, 2000, has been troubled by sciaticarecently which had severely affected her preparationsfor the competition.
I spoke with the people at the federation and saidto them that in three weeks, it was not really possiblefor me to run. Unless there is a miracle, I will nottake part,'' said Perec. For me to be involved, I need to be between 80-100percent whereas I am around 50-60 percent.’’
Perec was Olympic 400m champion at Barcelona in 1992and completed a 200m-400m double at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics.
She fled Sydney ahead of the 2000 Olympics claimingshe was being pursued by a stalker.
However, she has yet to follow 2000 Olympic championCathy Freeman of Australia into retirement.
Her last race was at Nice in July 2000 where shefinished third.
She had hinted last week that her involvement in thisyear’s world championship was in doubt.
I can train but that's not enough,'' she told AFP. Things are coming on but not quickly enough for me.I just can’t accelerate.’’
She said she was aiming to run the 100m ``in 12.5 to13 seconds by next week, otherwise I’ll try for the4x400 metres relay team’’.