KERRON CLEMENT Ind. 400 World Record - 12Mar05

FAYATTEVILLE, Arkansas - Trinidad-born Kerron Clement has broken :eek: Michael Johnson’s world record in the 400 meters at the US collegiate indoor track and field championships on Saturday.
Clement, 19, stunned the crowd with a 44.57 second time, breaking Johnson’s mark of 44.63 set on March 4, 1995, at the US Indoor championships in Atlanta.
It was the first world record set at the Randal Tyson Track Centre, which opened in 2000.
Clement, who wants to become a US citizen and compete for America internationally, won the US collegiate 400 metre hurdles outdoors last year, and considered that his best event - until Saturday.
There was a collective gasp from the crowd as the time was shown on the event scoreboard after he crossed the finish line.
Clement’s previous best in the 400 indoors was 45.29 on the same track two weeks ago. He was sixth in the 200 on Friday.
The record was the only world indoor mark held by Johnson, the five-time Olympic gold medallist. Johnson still holds the world outdoor records at 200 and 400 metres.

AND NOW WITH QUOTES :slight_smile:

Trinidad-born Kerron Clement broke US great Michael Johnson’s 10-year-old 400m indoor world record here Saturday, clocking 44.57sec at the NCAA US collegiate indoor athletics championships.
I can't describe how I feel,'' said Clement, a 19-year-old who is in his second year at the University of Florida. He moved to the United States as a youngster and attended high school in La Porte, Texas. Last year he won the 400m hurdles crown at the world junior outdoor championships representing the United States. When I crossed the line, I wanted to cry,’’ he said. ``That was my first reaction. It was so overwhelming - breaking Michael Johnson’s record. I guess it’s mine now.’’
Clement broke the mark of 44.63 set by Johnson on March 4, 1995, at the US Indoor championships in Atlanta, Georgia.
Clement easily defeated University of Arkansas’ Terry Gatson, who finished a distant second in 45.29sec.
Later Saturday, Clement anchored Florida’s 4x400m relay team, which won in an NCAA record of 3:03.51.
Johnson still owns the 200m and 400m outdoor world records.

Wonder how fast Merritt would have run.

I do think Merritt coulda gone better than 44.93 when he ran that time, because he did kinda stumble and he coulda run around 44.8x without it, but 44.57 is just off the chain…

Props to them both becuase they are both great young talents…I hope the Outdoor season lives up to the expectations in which it will almost certainly be carrying after this year’s great Indoor season… :wink:

The video of this awesome race can be viewed once downloading it from the following page:

http://www.trackshark.com/videos.php

(You have to follow the instructions given in order to download the vid as quick as possible)