Kansas Relay "Gold Zone"

THIS REPORT APPEARS ON THE IAAF WEBSITE www.iaaf.org

‘Olympic six’ ready to hit the Kansas ‘Gold Zone’
Saturday 2 April 2005
Lawrence, Kansas, USA - The 2005 Kansas Relays’ “Gold Zone” has attracted a stunning field of former individual Olympic champions. USA’s Marion Jones, Maurice Greene, Stacy Dragila, Allen Johnson, and Nick Hysong, and relay gold medallist Savatheda Fynes of the Bahamas, will compete on Saturday 23 April in Memorial Stadium.

"I can say without exaggeration that this “Gold Zone” will be the greatest collection of Olympic talent that the Kansas Relays has ever seen,” confirmed Kansas Relays Meet Director Tim Weaver earlier this week.

Marion Jones (USA)
(Getty Images)

“I’m really looking forward to competing at the Kansas Relays for the first time,” Jones said. “It’s one of those historic meets that now everyone is talking about again. I’m going to run a 4x200m relay there with Muna Lee, LaShinda Demus, and Stephanie Durst - that’s three Olympians and an NCAA Champion. We’ve all run some pretty fast 200s in the past, so I’m excited to see what we can do together as a team. We’ll give the fans something to cheer about, that’s for sure.”

The “Gold Zone” will debut in 2005 as part of the Kansas Relays schedule, featuring the most popular high school, college, and invitational events in a three-hour block of entertainment. Highlighted events will include the finals of all dashes, the 4x100 and 4x400 relay finals, the invitational pole vaults and high jumps, the women’s steeplechase and the men’s mile run. The “Gold Zone” has commitments from six Olympic Champions, 33 total Olympians, and 41 NCAA Champions.