Jamaica Trials 200m

Monday, 30 June 2008 Campbell-Brown blasts back from dash upset to 200m world lead; Bolt doubles – Jamaican Champs, Final Day

Kingston, Jamaica - Veronica Campbell-Brown made up swiftly for upset fourth place 100m finish at the Jamaica Olympic Trials on Saturday by winning the women’s 200m in world-leading time on Sunday night (29), while Usain Bolt completed the men’s sprint double.

Campbell-Brown, the reigning Olympic 200m champion, secured a hard-fought victory in 21.94 seconds, a personal best, to beat Kerron Stewart, who also secured a career best 21.99 seconds.

“I am very happy with my performance,” Campbell-Brown, whose 10.88 on Saturday was only good enough for fourth in the fastest 100m final ever by any one nation.
“I think it was the right time for me to run under 22-seconds now,” added Campbell, who as well as her 200m laurels won bronze in the 100m at the last Olympics.

[b]She said she would like to run in the 100m in Beijing but didn’t know what her chances were. The top two in each final qualify for the Olympics with the third place discretionary.

"I will definitely be running some good 100 metres leading into Olympic, but if it remain as it is, I will just focus on defending my 200m title,’’ said the World 100m champion.[/b]

Sherone Simpson finished third in a season best 22.11 seconds while Shelly-Ann Fraser was fourth in a personal best 22.15.

Bolt makes it a pair of sprint titles

Bolt ran easily from start to finish to win the men’s race in 19.97 secs (1.7m/s).

“It was a good race. I just came out here to qualify and I did just that, so I am very happy,” said Bolt.

Marvin Anderson was second (20.17) and Christopher Williams was third (20.20).

Victory after poor start for Hylton

Meanwhile, Brigitte Foster-Hylton won the women’s 100 Hurdles in 12.50 seconds, beating Delloreen Ennis-London (12.57) and Vonette Dixon (21.71).

Foster-Hylton, though producing a season best, was very upset with herself afterwards because of a very poor start. “I had to run past all the girls, because they were all ahead of me, but I am confident in my speed,” noted the five-time champion.

“This one means the most to me, because I had been through so much this year,” said Foster-Hylton, who has battled injuries.

Richard Phillips won the men’s 110m Hurdles in 13.57 ahead of Decosma Wright (13.64) and Maurice Wignall (13.65).

White surprises opponents

In the women’s 400m, the new kid on the block, Rosemarie White, who is in her first season as a quartermiler, surprised all but herself with her 50.05 seconds victory.

“I am not surprised, because I knew I was going to run 50-point because of the training I am getting,” added the G. C. Foster College student.

White also said she knew she would have beaten Novlene Williams-Mills and Shericka Williams, both former champions. “I knew I would have won, because on Friday when I did 51.1 without running hard, I knew I was going to win.”

Williams-Mills, the bronze medallist from last year’s World Championships, was second in 50.11, a season best, and Shericka Williams third in 50.33.

Michael Blackwood took the men’s in 45.21 seconds ahead of Ricardo Chambers and Sanjay Ayre, both recorded identical times of 45.24.

Sinclair supreme

Kenia Sinclair, Commonwealth Games silver medallist, raced away with the women’s 800m title.

Sinclair cruised to victory in 2:01.50 while Yssane Williams, who crossed the line in fourth, but was the second Jamaican, did 2:05.10. Neisha Bernard Thomas of Grenada (2:02.56) and Sheena Gooding of Barbados (2:04.23) were second and third respectively.

“I wanted to do my season best, but because I was spiked on Friday, I decided I was just going to take it easy and do what it takes to be the national champion,” said Sinclair.

Aldwyn Sappleton achieved victory in the men’s 800m in 1:48.45 ahead of Ricardo Cunningham (1:48.94).

In the field, Dorian Scott threw 20.13 to land the men’s Shot Put crown. In the women’s Javelin Throw, Olivia McKoy retained her national title with 56.72 metres. Kateema Riettie (55.39m) and Tanesha Blair (48.51m) were second and third respectively.

Anthony Foster for the IAAF

Click here for RESULTS

printemail

I think Gay has a better chance to beat Bolt in the 200m because he holds the advantage on the bend.

bolt was in front of Gay off the bend last year in Osaka but Gay ran him down. It’s anyone’s guess really. Bolt looks great but hasn’t done all the rounds. on the other hand- what must Gay do to bounce back and how much recovery time is he allowing before going to Europe?

Bolt is running the 100m in Athens on 13 June from what i heard.

Gay and Powell have signed to run 100m in Paris on 18 June. This was before Bolt’s WR and no agreement was found to include him in that race.

No idea about the girls’ plans.

July 13th at the Tsiklitiria Pierrejean?? I think I know when my next train ride down there will be… :slight_smile:

That Athens track is supposed to be one of the fastest around, at least it was a few years back. Does anybody know what venue is currently called the fastest?

Hayward Field :wink: